Alaska Packing list - A different question

narsibvl

For all who have been on a cruise the first week of july.... Can you get away with shorts durng the day.. or is it too cold...

Bring from NJ we have some cold winters... this packing thing is a pain in the butt going away for 13 days is going to be awsome but hard to pack for.. Please let me know what you think...

It might be 80 and sunny, or it might be 40 and rainy. A pair of shorts hardly takes any room, so pack them in case you need them. And put them in the bottom of your daypack in case the day warms up.

Some days start off cool and drizzly so having a day pack gives you a place to put layers as you peel them off, or a place to store an item if you think you'll need it later.

You probably don't need as many clothes as you think. You're wearing layers ... a T, then a fleece/sweatshirt/shirt/sweater then maybe a jacket. As long as the layer next to your skin is clean, the outer layers can be worn several times. No one notices or cares if you wear your gray fleece 2 days in a row. :>)

On our most recent cruise to SE Alaska was the last week in July of last summer. It was never warm enough for shorts anywhere. A typical daytime outfit was jeans, tee, lightweight fleece, and a rain jacket over that. My husband wore flannel shirts plus a rain jacket with jeans most of the time. I took capris and sandals and wore those in Vancouver, but not in AK.

Weather is so subjective. I was also there the last week of July last year, and I wore shorts quite a bit. It was downright warm the day we were in Ketchikan. I got sunburned sitting by the pool that afternoon. It was overcast in Juneau, but warm enough for me to wear knee-length shorts with a lightweight long sleeve shirt. I'm pretty sure I wore shorts in Skagway too. We drove up to the Yukon and I had a sweatshirt with me, but don't think I wore it much.

"Warm enough for shorts" depends a lot of a person's normal threshold for wearing shorts. I think 60 is "warm enough" and wear shorts a lot in AK. I can tell you for certain that both of my sisters think that's downright cold and would be wearing jeans and sweatshirts. :eek:

You don't need two pairs of rain pants for one person. I'm not sure you even need one pair, but if you insist, go ahead.

About jackets which makes noises: yes on the issue of animal photography.

My Marmot jacket does not make noise.

I usually have a $1 poncho handy as something like that can protect you, your camera case and your camera if it starts to rain.

I have a completely ugly 'boat coat' that was provided to me by an employer. It actually has 3 parts including a zip out lining that can be worn as a fleece jacket (with pockets), a storm hood and an outside water proof layer that can be worn as a rain jacket on its own.

The color is Storm alert yellow which is why I say that it is ugly, but I have never been cold or wet when wearing it. The company logo often gets me extra attention (which may or may not be a good thing). I have seen similar 'boat coats' in Goodwill stores likely donated by people who worked in Alaska and have no need for them in Texas. They go cheap.

You don't need two pairs of rain pants for one person. I'm not sure you even need one pair, but if you insist, go ahead. . .

I have never used rain pants - ever. The closest thing I've done is wear nylon pants over my jeans when snow skiing. I fall down a lot. It keeps my jeans dry.

It would have to be raining very hard with a good wind before I'd want rain pants. If the weather was that stormy, I'd find something else to do.

This is a debate with my hubby, since we live in Fla. and unless it is dress pants, he has jeans. Is it okay to only have jeans? I am hoping to hike a little, (Lets not be crazy hikers), maybe ATV, or river rafting but they give us suits in Denali and maybe some ports. I keep hearing about getting wet and problems with the jeans. Should we invest in those pants that are water resistant and separate (REI)? We are going in July and just want to prepare in advance.

I don't have any photos, but what I bought was a Columbia (women's), with Omni-Tech waterproof, breathable technology, covers the hips, has hood for @ $60 at Outdoor World, but you can probably find them on sale now online at various retailers like REI etc. My husband found one on clearance at Gander Mtn. They are just shells with mesh lining, but my husbands does have a zip out fleece lining. Just google waterproof jacket.

My husband and I both just bought our water proof jackets from gander Mtn. they are clearancing their winter wear right now.

Jeans are all we take. We have no desire to spend a l...o...n....g dinner in the MDR each night when we could be out and about enjoying the scenery and wildlife, so we take 99.9% of our meals in the Lido (except for some instances of room service and/or Canaletto).

Both our waterproof (not water resistant) jackets are a bit longer so we've never experienced problems w/wet jeans (although you can spray them with waterproofing as well). We do lots of outdoor activities in port - hiking, kayaking, 4 wheeling, whale watching, etc. and have yet to have problems with our jeans being damp, heavy and/or cold. There are some nice lightweight water resistant pants to be purchased though if you have a mind.

We always take advantage of HAL's Unlimited Laundry package so we pack light - enough clothes for half the trip, mix and match and layer is the key as others have mentioned. Be prepared for foul weather and you'll be fine, and hopefully pleasantly surprised when you don't have too much rain;) - just don't count on it.

We will be there first time in May so I can't tell you for certain, but my guess is not very likely unless you are way warmer natured than me or they have a heat wave! Of all the pictures I have seen from Alaska, I have never seen anyone in shorts. Will be interested to see what the experienced cruisers say.

And this is way off subject, but I am dying to know what an "Open bar cruise" is:D

HI I also am going to Alaska in May the 5th -12th on celebrity century.I found a site about the open bar, that 's what we have also. I think it was any beer under $5.00 quite a list of spirits.= $44.00 a day if I remember rightly. A good deal for sure as we are not big drinkers. :) Enjoy !!

You don't need two pairs of rain pants for one person. I'm not sure you even need one pair, but if you insist, go ahead.

For me and DH :D

But you're right, I'm somewhat paranoid about the rain. When we were in Halifax we got caught in sideways rain in 50 degrees wearing jeans. We were soaked and chilled to the bone. It was beyond what an umbrella and jacket could help.

I'm looking for an inexpensive light weight pair to stick in my bag "just incase". Figure if I spend enough money on rain gear then the weather is sure to be bright and sunny just to prove me wrong :rolleyes:

And we have stores up here, with lots of outdoor gear. You're going to want to buy sweatshirts/teeshirts/hoodies anyway. Might as well just bring one of each and have the room for the purchases in your luggage.

Not that I wish to encourage tee shirt shops, but there are some very nice, quality rain coats, fleece vests, etc, sold here. You can gauge your needs as you arrive and purchase accordingly.

I have gone through the packing list provided by the good people here and I do have a comprehensive list and.....it frightens me :( .

It is going to be quite a bit of the green to get ourselves equipped for this vacation. Now what are some of the ways we could bring down our cost. Get the jackets, the hiking boots etc that too four of each...are there way we could cut costs here ? Any suggestions ?

Thanks in advance

Where did you see the packing list? Going on a 10 cruise tour end of June and have no idea how or what to pack for Alaska.

• 1 month later...

Great thread!

We're cruising to Alaska RT from Seattle on Star Princess in July. I've been reading the boards about what to pack, and was all set to get a rain jacket (44 years in Seattle and Portland and I don't even have a waterproof jacket!) from REI (either North Face or Marmot are typically my outdoor brands), but I'm thinking I go cheap and get the Frogg Toggs I've seen mentioned. My question is whether they are lined or not. I went to the Frogg Toggs site and it looks like they aren't, but I can't really tell.

Also, we are going to Mendenhall Glacier to do the dog mushing tour, and I was all set to pack our ski jackets. Overkill? Just the Frogg Togg layered with fleece, and a t-shirt underneath? :confused:

We will be there first time in May so I can't tell you for certain, but my guess is not very likely unless you are way warmer natured than me or they have a heat wave! Of all the pictures I have seen from Alaska, I have never seen anyone in shorts. Will be interested to see what the experienced cruisers say.

And this is way off subject, but I am dying to know what an "Open bar cruise" is:D

for some passengers being drunk all the time :D.

I agree with others. We went to Alaska and didn't buy alot of extra's. We took our existing rain jackets and wore tennis shoes. We didn't have boots and never had a problem. We did, however, have a change of shoes in case the shoes got so wet we needed to dry them out. Layer, layer, layer and you'll be fine. We laugh at our pictures now because we're wearing the same couple sweat shirts the whole time. We always had another shirt under the sweatshirt, so using for the whole vacation wasn't really a problem. We're heading back to Alaska this summer and have decided we need to look at our pictures so we don't have the same sweatshirts on!! Have fun and don't buy anything that you won't reuse. Just a huge waste of money! Alaska was fantastic!! enjoy!!:)

Great thread!

We're cruising to Alaska RT from Seattle on Star Princess in July. I've been reading the boards about what to pack, and was all set to get a rain jacket (44 years in Seattle and Portland and I don't even have a waterproof jacket!) from REI (either North Face or Marmot are typically my outdoor brands), but I'm thinking I go cheap and get the Frogg Toggs I've seen mentioned. My question is whether they are lined or not. I went to the Frogg Toggs site and it looks like they aren't, but I can't really tell.

Also, we are going to Mendenhall Glacier to do the dog mushing tour, and I was all set to pack our ski jackets. Overkill? Just the Frogg Togg layered with fleece, and a t-shirt underneath? :confused:

Yes, way past overkill. July is a beautiful month in Alaska! Bring light weight items that you can layer. You may be stripping them off right down to a short sleeve T-shirt. Don' t spend a lot of money on jackets, just buy a cheap rain jacket at your first stop. ($20) Jeans or khakis and two pair of nice walking shoes. Buy a nice Alaska cap and bamm, you're done.

Now cruising through Glacier Bay or College Fjord is like an ice box! This is where you'll wear all your layers and a blanket or two from the cruise line. Have a great time!

Yes, way past overkill. July is a beautiful month in Alaska! Bring light weight items that you can layer. You may be stripping them off right down to a short sleeve T-shirt. Don' t spend a lot of money on jackets, just buy a cheap rain jacket at your first stop. ($20) Jeans or khakis and two pair of nice walking shoes. Buy a nice Alaska cap and bamm, you're done.

Now cruising through Glacier Bay or College Fjord is like an ice box! This is where you'll wear all your layers and a blanket or two from the cruise line. Have a great time!

Thanks Arlene! Smoooooches!

Great thread!

I find Alaska in July to be a lot like Seattle in May. Can be warm and sunny, shorts weather, or can be cool, cloudy, rainy.... and all in the same day! ;) Be prepared with layers and you should be fine. If you've lived in the PNW, you know that a little drizzle won't kill you. A good rain jacket is nice if it rains on Glacier Bay day or on a lengthy outdoor excursion. I lived in the Seattle area for 10 years and bought my first rain jacket for my first cruise to Alaska in 2001. I have a better one now, and I do use it at home because I have it.

BTW, you sail on my birthday. :D I won't say how old I will be. :eek:

I find Alaska in July to be a lot like Seattle in May. Can be warm and sunny, shorts weather, or can be cool, cloudy, rainy.... and all in the same day! ;) Be prepared with layers and you should be fine. If you've lived in the PNW, you know that a little drizzle won't kill you. A good rain jacket is nice if it rains on Glacier Bay day or on a lengthy outdoor excursion. I lived in the Seattle area for 10 years and bought my first rain jacket for my first cruise to Alaska in 2001. I have a better one now, and I do use it at home because I have it.

BTW, you sail on my birthday. :D I won't say how old I will be. :eek:

Seattle in May would be a good analogy for me to follow. Too many Mays in the PNW in my lifetime. Eeeeek! I'm going to follow all of the advice here and just grab a rain jacket and wear the fleeces/t-shirts that I already have. It doesn't sound like we'll need to buy anything new other than the rain jackets. We still have most of our Seattle gear since we only left 2 years ago.

Happy early birthday!:p

[quote=narsibvl;36773951]I have gone through the packing list provided by the good people here and I do have a comprehensive list and.....it frightens me :( .

It is going to be quite a bit of the green to get ourselves equipped for this vacation. Now what are some of the ways we could bring down our cost. Get the jackets, the hiking boots etc that too four of each...are there way we could cut costs here ? Any suggestions ?

Thanks in advance

Like many other's, I'd suggest layers, layers, layers! If it's really cold (and since most of the Alaska cruise's are in the summer, I wouldn't think it would be), layer your normal clothing. If it's cold, wear a T-shirt, a sweat shirt and a jacket. That should keep you warm enough. Thick socks and your normal walking shoes should be good.

The one "extra" thing I'm glad to have is a pair of earmuffs. We love to be on the outside decks in Alaska and the only time I've been cold was because of my ears :)!

Have a wonderful cruise,

For the shorts question. Yes every picture of us in Alaska except for on the deck glacier days and formal nights, I am in shorts and a polypro T-shirt and hubby is in his windbreaker over a fleece and long pants. My waterproof windbreaker went with me in my daypack everywhere, but came out rarely. So, like we said, "Know yourself." 60's and breezy/rainy what do you wear normally? You can figure it out. Peal it off if you're hot, put it on if you're cold.

I haven't been to Alaska yet, but I purchased a pair of waterproof Merrell hiking boots and I don't know how I lived without them! I love them! They are as comfortable as sneakers and I wear them everywhere now, particularly if there is snow on the ground or it's raining.

After trying them on and finding the right size, you can google for websites that have the exact same pair for a lower price.

My kids love their 3-in-1 waterproof jackets. They preferred them when we went skiing. Wish I had bought them last year instead of their down jackets. We bought The North Face at the end of the season and got a great bargain. DH and I have the Columbia 3-in-1 jackets and now I wear mine for rain or snow, and wonder how I did without it!

I also purchased fleece zip-up jackets (DH prefers the pullover) and have worn them all winter--so much warmer than any of my cardigans.

Polartec fleece pants were mentioned by one reviewer to keep warm while out on deck, and I live in these when I am home--warmer than sweatpants and nicer looking to boot. Got them with a promo at REI. (Only purchased them for me--I'm the only one in the family who gets cold.)

I have actually found that my trip to Alaska has led me to some wonderful purchases that I will always use, and now wish I had known about sooner.

Things I bought but will likely never use again:

--the plastic rain sleeve for the camera (aside from Alaska I don't have any intention of photographing anything in the rain ever again)

--rain pants for me and DD. DH and DS have them for golf, but aside from wearing them over my fleece pants on a cold day out on deck, I hope I never have to use them again.

What worked for me was going to the store to try things on, then searching online to get a better price with free shipping.

Best of luck to you!

I have actually found that my trip to Alaska has led me to some wonderful purchases that I will always use, and now wish I had known about sooner.

!

Glad you're finding these things useful. I find them indispensable, and I don't mean just at home! Those items have made many trips in my suitcases, and been worn on 4 other continents.

We just ordered our rain jackets from REI (online, in the Clearance section) -- only $29 for mine (Sierra Designs) and $47 for DH (Marmot). We've been REI members for longer than I can remember, and I love their selection even in the Outlet/Clearance section of their site. I had checked out the Frogg Toggs that people have mentioned on CC and would have purchased those if I didn't find such great deals at REI.

Archived