Wonderful Copenhagen

You gave me different directions in a previous post. Is this because I am going from airport to cruise port on Sat. rather than Fri.? Just want to make sure that nothing has changed. Thanks.

Bus 26 doesn't run all the way out to UNICEF on the weekends.

I am in contact with a person from the port authority per email and he will most likely tell me what is happening with the transportation options.

One option for Airport from C330 is to get the transfer from the cruise line. I know a lot of people don't want to use cruise line products but it seems to me a sure way to get to the airport in time for your flight at not a bad price.

So I have some new info to the transport situation.

It doesn´t look like there will be any public transportation to the cruise terminal for atleast this inaugural season at the new cruise terminal.

The Copenhagen municipal, The capital region and the transport authority Movia hasn´t seen that it´s necessary to offer public transportation in the weekend.

But there are forces working on securing public transportation in the weekends and public holidays.

But that leaves us with this season :D

No deal has been made yet but the port authority is working with a private bus company to make a shuttle service to either the downtown area or a train station close by (probably Nordhavn station).

Nothing has been decided yet but I will report it when a decicion has been made.

Cafe Ultima (italian) or the beer garden (german) serves good food and if you want traditional danish food then Færgekroens Bryghus or Brødrene Price.

But the place is very compact so no need to plan ahead, just go an enjoy yourself.

Looks like Cafe Ultima is closed and going to re-open as something else. Karen

So I have some new info to the transport situation.

It doesn´t look like there will be any public transportation to the cruise terminal for atleast this inaugural season at the new cruise terminal.

The Copenhagen municipal, The capital region and the transport authority Movia hasn´t seen that it´s necessary to offer public transportation in the weekend.

But there are forces working on securing public transportation in the weekends and public holidays.

But that leaves us with this season :D

No deal has been made yet but the port authority is working with a private bus company to make a shuttle service to either the downtown area or a train station close by (probably Nordhavn station).

Nothing has been decided yet but I will report it when a decicion has been made.

Thanks Danish Viking for following up on that. Hard to believe that there will be no public transportation on the weekends at the new cruise terminal with thousands of people visiting and needing transportation from that location. I hope the port authority is able to arrange the private shuttle, because 30 minutes (each way) is a long walk to get to the closest public transportation.

Bill

The old rollercoaster in Tivoli is getting its mountain peak back and the work is underway for the upcomming season.

http://www.bt.dk/nyheder/se-billederne-her-genopbygger-de-tivolis-legendariske-rutschebane

I am a big fan of Wooden Roller Coasters! Will it be up and running by May 9th?

Thanks Karen

Thanks Danish Viking for following up on that. Hard to believe that there will be no public transportation on the weekends at the new cruise terminal with thousands of people visiting and needing transportation from that location. I hope the port authority is able to arrange the private shuttle, because 30 minutes (each way) is a long walk to get to the closest public transportation.

Bill

I think its a very big mistake, Just wait and see this summer because I think that there will be alot of complaints.

I think its a very big mistake, Just wait and see this summer because I think that there will be alot of complaints.

There is also the other side to the issue. Good public transport connections require somewhat predictable and stable demand along the route. If there are no other places generating significant demand close to the berth, running daily frequent service there when there is no ship would be a huge waste of money. As the current weekday service is only twice per hour, it seems that the area around C330 is not generating much demand without a ship in port.

There are a couple of ways to solve this problem. One is to extend/divert a line or part of the departures terminating somewhere close by to the berth when there is a ship in port. The other and simpler solution is to let the port authority or the cruise line offer a shuttle service.

Hi Danish Viking, you gave me some information last year about the number 26 bus from c190 to Tivoli but at the time I didn't realise that we will be there on a Sunday so could you please tell me is the bus very frequent on a sunday or would a taxi be better. Thanks again

Hi Danish Viking, you gave me some information last year about the number 26 bus from c190 to Tivoli but at the time I didn't realise that we will be there on a Sunday so could you please tell me is the bus very frequent on a sunday or would a taxi be better. Thanks again

Søn and Helligdage is Sundays and public holidays.

http://www.moviatrafik.dk/dinrejse/koreplaner/Buslinje/afgangstider/Pages/AfgangsTider.aspx?line_direction_gid=9014200002620000&stop_gid=9025200000010008

The bus is heading for Ålholm Plads

https://maps.google.dk/maps?saddr=Langeliniekaj,+K%C3%B8benhavn&daddr=Indiakaj+%4055.695184,12.598029&hl=da&ie=UTF8&ll=55.695602,12.599173&spn=0.003936,0.009645&sll=55.695021,12.599221&sspn=0.001968,0.004823&geocode=FfzjUQMd2kTAACl9mmQI3VJSRjGv7H9BeLTnBA%3BFVDXUQMdDTvAAA&oq=lange&t=h&mra=ls&z=17

From the central station and back.

http://www.moviatrafik.dk/dinrejse/koreplaner/Buslinje/afgangstider/Pages/AfgangsTider.aspx?line_direction_gid=9014200002610000&stop_gid=9025200000001152

https://maps.google.dk/maps?saddr=Tivoli,+Vesterbrogade,+K%C3%B8benhavn&daddr=Hovedbaneg%C3%A5rden+(bus)+%4055.674231,12.563628&hl=da&ie=UTF8&sll=55.673961,12.564293&sspn=0.001969,0.004823&geocode=FVSDUQMdU8a_ACGwJwu1DQu12Snz6vaAElNSRjGwJwu1DQu12Q%3BFXeFUQMdrLS_AA&oq=tivoli&t=h&dirflg=w&mra=ltm&z=19

There is also the other side to the issue. Good public transport connections require somewhat predictable and stable demand along the route. If there are no other places generating significant demand close to the berth, running daily frequent service there when there is no ship would be a huge waste of money. As the current weekday service is only twice per hour, it seems that the area around C330 is not generating much demand without a ship in port.

There are a couple of ways to solve this problem. One is to extend/divert a line or part of the departures terminating somewhere close by to the berth when there is a ship in port. The other and simpler solution is to let the port authority or the cruise line offer a shuttle service.

Your last solution is the one they do on weekdays, 3 busses to langelinie and 3 busses to the Nordhavn area (one to Færgehavn Nord and 2 to UNICEF)

But on Saturdays all 6 busses in each hour goes to Langelinie and all 3 on Sundays and public holidays.

And you are missing a big point, until last year they could just take the S-train to Nordhavn and walk from there, but C330 is a new cruise terminal located 30 minutes away on foot.

And to be honest I think that there are more potential passengers on a weekend with cruiseships than on a regular weekday with no cruiseships.

If we take the first weekend in July the potential number of passengers look like this.

Saturday

Costa Luminosa - 2826 passengers X 2 + crew

Costa Neoromantica - 1800 passengers + Crew

MSC Poesia - 2550 passengers x 2 + crew

Sunday

Costa Fortuna - 3440 passengers x 2 + crew

MSC Orchestra - 2550 passengers x 2 + crew

Royal Princess - 4380 passengers x 2 + crew

So in that particular weekend we got 33.292 potential passengers, even if half of these passengers uses the cruiseship shuttles or taxis we still got 15.000 potential passengers

A normal bus is carrying around 50 passengers so that is 300 departures

The ships are in port for around 10 hours, that gives us 15 departures in both direction every hour or 7-8 each way.

So if the transport authority can´t offer atleast 2-3 busses in each direction every hour I can´t see when they can.

And with a ticket price of 24 DKK to the city center og 36 DKK to the airport they could earn enough to make it go around

Just 5.000 passengers paying 24 DKK is 120.000 DKK (around 22.000 USD) and you can run alot of busses for this kind of money, also including the weekend wage supplements for the bus drivers. :D

Your last solution is the one they do on weekdays, 3 busses to langelinie and 3 busses to the Nordhavn area (one to Færgehavn Nord and 2 to UNICEF)

But on Saturdays all 6 busses in each hour goes to Langelinie and all 3 on Sundays and public holidays.

And you are missing a big point, until last year they could just take the S-train to Nordhavn and walk from there, but C330 is a new cruise terminal located 30 minutes away on foot.

And to be honest I think that there are more potential passengers on a weekend with cruiseships than on a regular weekday with no cruiseships.

If we take the first weekend in July the potential number of passengers look like this.

Saturday

Costa Luminosa - 2826 passengers X 2 + crew

Costa Neoromantica - 1800 passengers + Crew

MSC Poesia - 2550 passengers x 2 + crew

Sunday

Costa Fortuna - 3440 passengers x 2 + crew

MSC Orchestra - 2550 passengers x 2 + crew

Royal Princess - 4380 passengers x 2 + crew

So in that particular weekend we got 33.292 potential passengers, even if half of these passengers uses the cruiseship shuttles or taxis we still got 15.000 potential passengers

A normal bus is carrying around 50 passengers so that is 300 departures

The ships are in port for around 10 hours, that gives us 15 departures in both direction every hour or 7-8 each way.

So if the transport authority can´t offer atleast 2-3 busses in each direction every hour I can´t see when they can.

And with a ticket price of 24 DKK to the city center og 36 DKK to the airport they could earn enough to make it go around

Just 5.000 passengers paying 24 DKK is 120.000 DKK (around 22.000 USD) and you can run alot of busses for this kind of money, also including the weekend wage supplements for the bus drivers. :D

Hi Danish Viking, what would a taxi be? Thanks Karen

My last post might have seemed hostile or in defense of the current situation. That definitely was not my goal. I was trying to think about the possible explanations for the current situation and possible solutions.

The underlying cause is that cities like to push their ports further away when the land under the port becomes so valuable that the city wants to develop it into something other than port area. This is especially true for cargo ports, which require a lot of space. As Copenhagen is a common turn around port for cruise ships, the facilities and space required by the cruise terminals is larger than in many other ports. As the northern European cruise season is only about 4-5 months long, the terminal is not making money for half the year. That forces the terminals to be located further away unless they can double as something profitable during the winter.

The new cruise quay in Copenhagen is a good 3 km drive from the Nordhavn station and there seems to be mainly industrial harbor area in between for most of the way. As such area generates very little demand during the weekend, but the cruise quay can depending on the day have anything between zero and 10,000 possible passengers. Transport authorities tend to plan their services to have daily timetables that repeat form week to week so that their regular users can trust the service they used one day to exist also next week and the week after that. Because of that transport authorities strongly prefer offering extra departures on their regular routes to the possibility of offering a dedicated line that only runs on some days. That is why it is often simple (but definitely not better) to offer just a shuttle service.

I would think that the first step to solve this problem for good would be to extend at least one hourly departure of the 26 service to the C330 on weekends regardless of there being a cruise ship. Then when there are cruise ships in port they could in addition offer an extra service say 26X that would run like the 26, but terminate at the Nordhavn station. The amount of extra departures on this type of line could be easily adjusted to fit the amount and size of ships in port. Let us hope that something like this happens in the near future.

No no no, it was not hostile.

I just like a good discussion.

My idea was that they could run weekend schedules in May, June, July, August and September and then not running them in the other 8 months.

That would make perfect sense. It would also be helpful to run additional bus #26 service when cruise ships are in port on the weekends.