Wonderful Copenhagen

Our Queen Dronning Margrethe II will open the new cruise terminal on the second of May at 14:30.

Legend Of The Seas is the first ship at the terminal arriving from a transatlantic cruise and are departing later in the day for a cruise to the Norwegian fjords.

http://kongehuset.dk/Menu/kalender/hm-dronningen-er-til-stede-ved-indvielsen-af-ny-krydstogtterminal-kl-1430

Danish Viking, are you planning to attend the ceremony? If so, could you please post some pictures. I'll be boarding the Legend on 5/17.

Hey Danish Viking.....I have another question to ask....I will have one precruise day in copenhagen...I plan to take this city tour I found on a site called get your guide.....do I need to prebook or should I just go to the city hall/ tivoli once I am in copenhagen and just directly join the city tour.

Really appreciate your help

Niki

First of all Danish Viking thank you so much for all of your help. I know that you must repeat yourself many times but it is very much appreciated. Now after saying that I have a few questions that I hope you can help me with.

We arrive in Copenhagen June 16th at 10:25 a.m. and will need to get to the Clarion Mayfair. I understand it is near the central station. Can we get a ticket to there with our luggage and walk to the hotel?

On the 18th we will have to get to our ship Legend of the Seas (not sure where the port is) but wondering if we should take a taxi or the train?

My last question is in regards to the Copenhagen card. We will be walking most everywhere except for the trip from the airport to the hotel and hotel to the ship. We will enter Tivoli gardens and also doing a Nyhaven canal tour. So is the card cost effective for us or no?

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer.

Trish

I´m not sure if I understand your first question correctly but off course you can buy a ticket from the airport to the central station, just buy a 3 zone single ticket that cost 36 kroner.

From your hotel you can get bus 26 directly to Oceankaj from where your ship is docked, you just need a 2 zone single ticket that costs 24 kroner.

https://www.google.dk/maps/dir/Clarion+Collection+Hotel+Mayfair,+Helgolandsgade+3,+1653+K%C3%B8benhavn/Trommesalen/@55.6729827,12.5585622,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m14!4m13!1m5!1m1!1s0x4652530cb8c76385:0x277c122c9430ad5!2m2!1d12.561043!2d55.672729!1m5!1m1!1s0x4652530c980b4bb7:0xe34b76918c83c6ee!2m2!1d12.560373!2d55.673264!3e2

Its the departures with a C or E before the departure time.

http://www.moviatrafik.dk/dinrejse/koreplaner/Buslinje/afgangstider/Pages/AfgangsTider.aspx?line_direction_gid=9014200002610000&stop_gid=9025200000007915

To be honest I don´t think you will get anything out of the Copenhagen Card, the hotel is in walking distance from almost everything in Copenhagen.

Danish Viking, are you planning to attend the ceremony? If so, could you please post some pictures. I'll be boarding the Legend on 5/17.

Friday is my laundry day but if I head for the laundry early then I could probably get into Copenhagen in time of the ceremony.

It will probably take me around 1,5 hour with public transport but I have actually never seen the queen before so why not. :D

Hey Danish Viking.....I have another question to ask....I will have one precruise day in copenhagen...I plan to take this city tour I found on a site called get your guide.....do I need to prebook or should I just go to the city hall/ tivoli once I am in copenhagen and just directly join the city tour.

Really appreciate your help

Niki

I don´t know the company so I can´t comment on it.

I don´t know the company so I can´t comment on it.

I am sorry...Let me rephrase the question...We are planning to spend one day in Copenhagen before the cruise... we plan to cover all the sightseeing attractions by taking a hop on hop off bus... my question is do we need to prebook or can we land up in the morning at the city hall and join any one of the tours available from any company that we find at that time?

Thank you sooo much for all the help... cant imagine how we would manage without your help;)

Edited by prerna

Your ship is docked at Langeliniekaj so your ships is docked just next to The Little Mermaid.

Bus 26 will get you directly to Tivoli so that is probably the easiest way to get there.

Now I'm just namedropping but things to see in Copenhagen are the royal residence at Ammalienborg Palace (change of the guard at noon), Rosenborg Palace with the crown jewels, Nyhavn and a canal tour, Christiansborg (the parliament).

Also Copenhagen Zoo, they will soon get 2 Pandas from China as a gift to the queen.

The zoo will be the 5th zoo in Europe with panda bears.

The Blue Planet aquarium has hammerhead sharks, how cool is that.

Hello Danish Viking

Thank you for all the information. Given us plenty to think about. Will probably be doing Tivoli on the first evening and will see how we feel for doing things on the following day.

Will let you know on our return as to what we did.

Thank you again.

Elaine

In case anyone would be interested.

On Tuesday June 24th Swedish Icebreaker Oden will have an open ship day from 11.00 to 16.00.

It will be docked at Frihavnen in Copenhagen at Orientkaj berth 252 or 254.

http://www.scienceinthecity.dk/en/event/welcome-aboard-scandinavias-biggest-icebreaker-oden-open-ship-day

https://www.google.se/maps/place/Orientkaj/@55.7108478,12.5977245,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m2!3m1!1s0x465252eb04fe00a9:0xcd7ec660b0c6debe

Danish Viking, we will be in Copenhagen June 2015and would like to attend a Danish Mass at a Catholic Church. Can you recommend one and give an address? Would really appreciate it and love this thread! Can't wait to explore this city with my family!

Here is some info, it looks like the main church is Sankt Ansgars KIrke.

http://www.katolsk.dk/2505/?no_cache=0

https://www.google.dk/maps/place/Bredgade+64/@55.6861439,12.5919605,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m2!3m1!1s0x46525321f00f612b:0x9a00780df6e2f075

I am sorry...Let me rephrase the question...We are planning to spend one day in Copenhagen before the cruise... we plan to cover all the sightseeing attractions by taking a hop on hop off bus... my question is do we need to prebook or can we land up in the morning at the city hall and join any one of the tours available from any company that we find at that time?

Thank you sooo much for all the help... cant imagine how we would manage without your help;)

Oh sorry.

Then let me try again. :D

I have never heard of overbooked busses, canal boat or walking tours so I think you just shows up.

In case anyone would be interested.

On Tuesday June 24th Swedish Icebreaker Oden will have an open ship day from 11.00 to 16.00.

It will be docked at Frihavnen in Copenhagen at Orientkaj berth 252 or 254.

http://www.scienceinthecity.dk/en/event/welcome-aboard-scandinavias-biggest-icebreaker-oden-open-ship-day

https://www.google.se/maps/place/Orientkaj/@55.7108478,12.5977245,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m2!3m1!1s0x465252eb04fe00a9:0xcd7ec660b0c6debe

It looks like a beast, I will see If i have the time to visit this ship.

Hello! I appreciate your responding to my walking tour question via another thread.... a follow-up

1. Do you have advice on whether Sandemans or Copenhagen Free Walking Tours is a better bet -- both start from same spot

2. Do you know where the free walking tours end and where we can get bus #26 back to ship? We need to be onboard by 3:30 so we need to catch a bus after the tour, which probably will end about 2:00 or so. I don't want to miss ship, so wondering where we catch the bus back.

3. I read this thread and I believe you agree it is too hard to do BOTH free walking tour and the canal tour - if you were a first time visitor which would you choose? I was leaning towards walking tour.

Thanks so much!!!!!

Ohh its hard to remember everything i wrote but let me try with a more optimistic view. :D

Catch the first boat at 09:30 from Nyhavn (Strömma boats costing 75 Kroner), then you will probably have to take a taxi from Nyhavn to Rådhuspladsen because I think that there is a huge change that you will miss the walking tour at 11:00 if you make it on foot or with public transport because you will cut the time very short.

Your best chances with bus is these departures from Kongens Nytorv.

10:38 with bus 1A towards Avedøre get off at Glyptoteket at 10:44 and walk 8-10 minutes to Rådhuspladsen.

10:45 with bus 26 towards Ålholm Plads that will be at Rådhuspladsen at 10:54.

I can´t read on any of the websites at where the tour ends, if you find out I can tell you how to get bact to the ship.

If you need to be back at the ship at 15:30 you will still have 1,5 hours to get back to the ship and that is plenty of time.

I would probably also choose the walking tour because from what I can read they sound very interesting.

Dear D.V., We looked at your information again & may try to take the ferry if we do not have to reserve in advance. Do you think it is possible on midday Mondays to pay for the ferry without a reservation?

Thanks

-Arleen

Dear Danish Viking,

We were able to book the ferry to Aarhus & back to Copenhagen on line. While the site is not in English, our computer has a good translation tool. Thanks for all your information. If you ever need to recommend a B&B in Aarhus (near the University) may I suggest Lene Beier's. This will be our 2nd time staying in her lower level apt. Just wonderful!

So I did went to the opening ceremony but I didn't see the queen because it was a semi private arrangement in terminal 2 (the legend was docked at Terminal 1).

But I did notice some starting problems that they need to take care of.

1) better signs showing the entrance (located st the left side of the terminal when looking from the landside)

2) tell people to use the correct bus 26, we witnessed an entire busload of people with luggage being dropped off the bus around 7-800 metres from the terminal because they where taking the wrong bus.

Its also a little bit misleading because the correct bus goes to Færgehavn Nord - UNICEF and the wrong bus to Færgehavn Nord, its easy to miss the difference.

Also the bus takes people on and off the bus from the same bus stop, its the one closest to UNICEF.

The bus drives up to the parking lot next to terminal 1 to turn around but it doesn't stop at the opposite side of the streets when it comes back so if you wait at the bus there it will not stop.

But its easy to see because it has no timetable attached onto the bus stop.

So to sum it up it will pick up passengers from the same place it drops off the passengers and not from opposite side of the street.

I will post some pictures later.

Thanks for all your information Danish Viking. We will be arriving at Oceankaj on 09th June on Celebrity Eclipse so look forward to seeing your photos. Have searched on google for photos without success. Nothing on youtube either. How long should the journey take from Oceankaj to the centre of town?

2) tell people to use the correct bus 26, we witnessed an entire busload of people with luggage being dropped off the bus around 7-800 metres from the terminal because they where taking the wrong bus.

Its also a little bit misleading because the correct bus goes to Færgehavn Nord - UNICEF and the wrong bus to Færgehavn Nord, its easy to miss the difference.

Also the bus takes people on and off the bus from the same bus stop, its the one closest to UNICEF.

The bus drives up to the parking lot next to terminal 1 to turn around but it doesn't stop at the opposite side of the streets when it comes back so if you wait at the bus there it will not stop.

But its easy to see because it has no timetable attached onto the bus stop.

So to sum it up it will pick up passengers from the same place it drops off the passengers and not from opposite side of the street.

I will post some pictures later.

We will be leaving from our hotel near København H going to Oceankaj on Friday 23 May & from the above bus info bus 26 to Oceankaj Færgehavn Nord - UNICEF is correct. Is that the most convenient since we are travelling with luggage? Can the bus accomodate luggage? I understand the train requires a change or a walk. Please clarify.

Don't want a long walk with luggage.

New pier presents some issues.

Thanks for all your great help.

Thanks for all your information Danish Viking. We will be arriving at Oceankaj on 09th June on Celebrity Eclipse so look forward to seeing your photos. Have searched on google for photos without success. Nothing on youtube either. How long should the journey take from Oceankaj to the centre of town?

The trip takes around 30 minutes in total.

We will be leaving from our hotel near København H going to Oceankaj on Friday 23 May & from the above bus info bus 26 to Oceankaj Færgehavn Nord - UNICEF is correct. Is that the most convenient since we are travelling with luggage? Can the bus accomodate luggage? I understand the train requires a change or a walk. Please clarify.

Don't want a long walk with luggage.

New pier presents some issues.

Thanks for all your great help.

Yes Færgehavn Nord, UNICEF is the correct one.

If you keep to the low floor area of the bus you can find some space for your luggage at the foldable seats.

I'm skeptical about this...according to the time table, there seem to be only 2 #26 an hour that go to UNICEF around 0900 and 1000, the time many people who are on a particular cruise would be attempting to get to the dock to check in. Will there be enough room on the buses for a given departure? Yes I want to use the #26 bus for my sailing on 06 June but I'm beginning to wonder if that's a good idea.

My wife and I are going to visit Copenhagen for the first time in early June. Will spend 3 nights in this city before a cruise and one night afterward. Plan to tour the city on our own and would like to get a sanity check of my plan, ask some questions, and also solicit suggestions.

Schedule and logistics: Flight land at CPH around 1:30 PM on Day 1, hotel about 500 m from the central train station in the city with about half the distance in pedestrain-only streets. Bought 3-day Copenhagen Cards. Cruise ship leave dock C330 at Oceankaj pier (Unicef) at 5pm on Day 4.

Rough plan:

Day 1 - take S-tog from CPH to the central train station then stroll to the hotel. After checking-in, plan to use bus 11A to get near Gammel Strand to take a canal tour, then wonder around before touring Tivoli, get dinner there, then go back to the hotel.

Day 2 - No concrete plan, but would like to take the free walking tour starting at 11 am in front of the city hall. Also like to visit the attractions such as Nynhavn, Amalienborg Palace and museum, Marble Church, Christiansborg Palace, Royal Reception Rooms, Rundetaarn, Rosenborg Castle, Christianshavn, Our Saviour Church, and possibly Copenhagen Zoo.

Day 3 - If weather cooperates, would like to visit some places outside the city such as Kronborg Castle and Frederiksborg Palace/garden/ferry with train rides in a circular loop. Then return to the city and visit more attractions if we missed some in Day 2, and maybe spend another dinner and evening at Tivoli Garden.

Day 4 - May wonder around the lakes near the hotel before taking bus #26 toward Unicef before noon. Board the ship.

At the end of the cruise, we will spend one more night at Copenhagen at a hotel near Norreport Metro Station before catching a flight the next day. We are planning to buy a one-day transportation pass to use to tour the city some more and get us to CPH the next morning. We may use this last day (happens to be a Sunday) to visit some free attractions such as Little Mermaid, Glyptoteket Art Museum, Danish National Museum, and Frederiksberg Garden.

My questions:

o Is the above plan reasonable? Or am I too greedy/ambitious for the number of attractions in my plan? Is there any suggestion for the order in visiting those attractions for the most efficient use of our time?

o I saw at some websites that there will be a sand sculpture festival in Copenhagen again, as in 2013. Could someone confirm this and provide the address of the site?

o Is it reasonable to roll our luggage (one large suitcase on wheels per person) between the train station and the hotel, and later from the hotel to the bus 26 stop (next to the train station)? Or would we look weird on the street rolling our suitcases so it's better to take a taxi for the rather short distance?

Thanks in advance.

Replacing "S-tog" with "DSB train" below. Just realized that I used the wrong term.

My wife and I are going to visit Copenhagen for the first time in early June. Will spend 3 nights in this city before a cruise and one night afterward. Plan to tour the city on our own and would like to get a sanity check of my plan, ask some questions, and also solicit suggestions.

Schedule and logistics: Flight land at CPH around 1:30 PM on Day 1, hotel about 500 m from the central train station in the city with about half the distance in pedestrain-only streets. Bought 3-day Copenhagen Cards. Cruise ship leave dock C330 at Oceankaj pier (Unicef) at 5pm on Day 4.

Rough plan:

Day 1 - take DSB train from CPH to the central train station then stroll to the hotel. After checking-in, plan to use bus 11A to get near Gammel Strand to take a canal tour, then wonder around before touring Tivoli, get dinner there, then go back to the hotel.

Day 2 - No concrete plan, but would like to take the free walking tour starting at 11 am in front of the city hall. Also like to visit the attractions such as Nynhavn, Amalienborg Palace and museum, Marble Church, Christiansborg Palace, Royal Reception Rooms, Rundetaarn, Rosenborg Castle, Christianshavn, Our Saviour Church, and possibly Copenhagen Zoo.

Day 3 - If weather cooperates, would like to visit some places outside the city such as Kronborg Castle and Frederiksborg Palace/garden/ferry with train rides in a circular loop. Then return to the city and visit more attractions if we missed some in Day 2, and maybe spend another dinner and evening at Tivoli Garden.

Day 4 - May wonder around the lakes near the hotel before taking bus #26 toward Unicef before noon. Board the ship.

At the end of the cruise, we will spend one more night at Copenhagen at a hotel near Norreport Metro Station before catching a flight the next day. We are planning to buy a one-day transportation pass to use to tour the city some more and get us to CPH the next morning. We may use this last day (happens to be a Sunday) to visit some free attractions such as Little Mermaid, Glyptoteket Art Museum, Danish National Museum, and Frederiksberg Garden.

My questions:

o Is the above plan reasonable? Or am I too greedy/ambitious for the number of attractions in my plan? Is there any suggestion for the order in visiting those attractions for the most efficient use of our time?

o I saw at some websites that there will be a sand sculpture festival in Copenhagen again, as in 2013. Could someone confirm this and provide the address of the site?

o Is it reasonable to roll our luggage (one large suitcase on wheels per person) between the train station and the hotel, and later from the hotel to the bus 26 stop (next to the train station)? Or would we look weird on the street rolling our suitcases so it's better to take a taxi for the rather short distance?

Thanks in advance.

I'm skeptical about this...according to the time table, there seem to be only 2 #26 an hour that go to UNICEF around 0900 and 1000, the time many people who are on a particular cruise would be attempting to get to the dock to check in. Will there be enough room on the buses for a given departure? Yes I want to use the #26 bus for my sailing on 06 June but I'm beginning to wonder if that's a good idea.

Yes there is "only" two busses each hour.

I was there this friday around 14:30 and the 2 busses I saw was not full at all.

I think it was a group I saw that took the wrong bus but I don´t think that bus was overcrowded at all.

The bus is more empty after Østerport on a regular day with no cruise ships so maybe its better for you to take it from there instead.