NCL Gem or Carnival Miracle

MissKathy107

Hi fellow cruisers! I'm planning to book Carnival Miracle March 6, 2013 or the NCL Gem March 3, 2013 leaving NY... I still can't make up my mind!

I just came back yesterday from Florida and was on the Carnival Sensation. It was such an old ship with outdated decor and stinking old carpets. The food was top notch though. I know the Miracle is a newer ship but I'm still having my doubts about cruising with Carnival...

I cruised twice on NCL Jewel which I hear is very similar to the NCL Gem. I had a wonderful time both times I cruised.

Currently, the balcony on the Miracle is $250 cheaper than the balcony room on the Gem. Also, the Miracle gives you an extra day compared to 9 days on the Gem.

I don't know which one to book!!! Too many pros and cons for both ships!!! Can anyone help me?

Everything else aside the Gem is a few years newer than the Miracle.

I've been on both. The Gem is prettier IMO and I'd go on the Gem first hands down.

In the end it depends on what you're looking for, what means most to you and how much you want to spend. However if it were me, without question I'd go on the Gem. This is though the Norwegian Cruise Line board. LOL :D

Edit: Sinan Ulucay one of the BEST cruise directors ever will be back on the Gem then, that fact alone is worth checking out the Gem if you haven't already.

Edited by xenagurl

Another thing I should add is that I'll be taking this cruise with someone I have a long distance relationship with for the past 7 months. Basically, this cruise will determine if we will take our relationship to the next level. He's from Holland and I am hoping that we will enjoy each other's company on the ship. Otherwise, he will be swimming back home on the Atlantic Ocean.. (I'm planning on getting a balcony room :p )

I have been on both ships and I liked the Gem better. We picked anytime dining on the Miracle but we still had to go to the same dining room and we sat on the same side of it. The Gem has more of a choice.

We felt the buffet on the Miracle lacked alot. The decor had heavy maroon drapes on the windows but the Gem was bright and cherry. It is very similar to the buffet on the Jewel. We also liked the food assortment better on the Gem.

I would go on the Miracle again but if I had a choice I would pick the Gem.

Jeanne

I've been on both the Miracle in 2011 and the Gem in 2011 and 2012. Sailing on Gem again Easter week. I pick the Gem. I don't care how much more it is. I personally did not like the Miracle or the cruise director at that time. It was during Hurricane Irene and we had too many sea days on the 8 day cruise and not enough to do on the ship. The Gem had better shows and more places to dine. I loved the cruise directors on the Gem on both sailings. No more Miracle for me. Just my personal opinion.

Gem is great! Have never been on carnival but in your situation-travelling with a beau - I would definitely want to be on NCL because you can always get a table for two for dinner at any restaurant-and lots of them are really romantic...more time to get to know each other

Another thing I should add is that I'll be taking this cruise with someone I have a long distance relationship with for the past 7 months. Basically, this cruise will determine if we will take our relationship to the next level. He's from Holland and I am hoping that we will enjoy each other's company on the ship. Otherwise, he will be swimming back home on the Atlantic Ocean.. (I'm planning on getting a balcony room :p )

Then you should definitely do the gem. You can go in the hot tubs in the evening for some privacy. Carnival closes them at 10. Its like comparing a Days Inn to the Marriott

I think the Gem would be a better choice given your situation. As much as I enjoyed the Miracle, I also believe the entertainment on the Gem to be better and of a larger variety. Having just come off the Gem, the ship and staff are in great shape.

As you can see from my signature, I've cruised the Miracle 3 times and the Gem twice.

All 5 cruises were great but if I had to choose, I would pick the Gem. She's a beautiful ship with a great staff and the entertainment and variety of dining choices are top-notch!

Either way you can't go wrong, but that's just my personal opinion!

No matter what you decide, have a great cruise! :)

I know:D BUT, Carnival is $250 less and 10 days instead of 9 like on the Gem... :confused: I'm also trying to save some money, but is it really worth it???

If it was a matter of $2500 I'd say "yes, you should think about it", but it's $250, so I suggest considering value. For an extra $250 do you think the Gem will give YOU more value? What about the guy you're seeing does he have any thoughts of the type of ship he's interested in? That might give you the answer you seek right there.

You can be given a cruise for free, but if it doesn't hold a lot of value for you it can be useless or you can spend 10K for a CTN but if it's worth it in your eyes for the criteria you've set then it's money well spent.

If it was a matter of $2500 I'd say "yes, you should think about it", but it's $250, so I suggest considering value. For an extra $250 do you think the Gem will give YOU more value? What about the guy you're seeing does he have any thoughts of the type of ship he's interested in? That might give you the answer you seek right there.

You can be given a cruise for free, but if it doesn't hold a lot of value for you it can be useless or you can spend 10K for a CTN but if it's worth it in your eyes for the criteria you've set then it's money well spent.

Good point, Xena. I actually do think that the Gem will give me more value, but on top of the $250+ and one day less, we will also be spending an extra $10-$20 on each of the specialty restaurants. :confused: I don't know. Maybe that's something I'll just have to accept. I don't want to regret my decision.

As far as my guy having an opinion, he's very humble and open... leaving everything up to me. He said that he'll have fun as long as he's with me :D. I'm sure he will, but I am a bit O.C.D. with my decision right now. I want things to be perfect. He'll be visiting for two and a half weeks and the cruise will take up half of our time together. Our time together will pretty much determine the outcome of our future. I'm such a nervous wreck! :o

If you're not booking NCL direct, there are OBC or Free Grats being offered which will close the cost gap.

Funny thing. A year ago, I booked a AFT balcony on the Jewel. My first cruise. Was more $$$ but you know what, a year later it's all but forgotten. That is, except for the pictures and memories. ;)

The biggest difference I see is 9 days vs 10. Guess it depends on whether or not you've been to these places before or not. About day 9, I'd probably be ready to get home. 7 days for me was plenty.

I would go with the Gem. If your boyfriend is flying in, hope he will have a day to rest up before getting on the ship.

Good luck with your decision. Come back and let us know what you decide.

He's actually flying in from Amsterdam to Newark on Sunday, March 3rd. If I take the Gem, it departs March 4th. He'll have one night of rest before we leave. Maybe not...:p:rolleyes::D

If you're not booking NCL direct, there are OBC or Free Grats being offered which will close the cost gap.

Funny thing. A year ago, I booked a AFT balcony on the Jewel. My first cruise. Was more $$$ but you know what, a year later it's all but forgotten. That is, except for the pictures and memories. ;)

The biggest difference I see is 9 days vs 10. Guess it depends on whether or not you've been to these places before or not. About day 9, I'd probably be ready to get home. 7 days for me was plenty.

WOW! The aft balcony looks sweet! That room looks like my old mini suite from the Jewel. I think I'm gonna go for NCL Gem instead of Carnival Miracle. At least I know that the Gem will be similar to the Jewel that I've been on twice. I'll have to look into prices and see what's left too. Maybe I'll get lucky with an aft balcony... March is just a little over a month.. I'll have to decide soon :confused::confused:

Thanks for the photos

I too have cruised both. I did Miracle for 8 nights in July 2011, and the Gem for 7 nights in August 2012. We (the DH & I) loved both. I agree the food is better on the Gem, but that's in the specialty restaurants. I enjoyed the entertainment on both and the cruise director on the Miracle was hysterical (Malcolm) I never saw the cruise director on the Gem..only heard his voice. ALL the activities we did had an "assistant" director there.

Something I would consider....Great Stirrup Cay vs Half Moon Cay. HANDS DOWN Half Moon Cay was better. The cabanas were well stocked and comfortable..much better than GSC. The beach on HMC was like a soft carpet and gorgeous while the beach at GSC was very very rocky.

Enjoy wherever you choose!! I would take the extra day with the better beach and $250 less...but that's me. Cruise food is comparable IMHO