a different dining question

CarolynB

At this point for our Sapphire cruise we have 13 going, and by the time we leave we might have as many as 20.

My question is, if we try to get early dining for half and late for the second half, what would the possibilites be to split the two dining times with others in the group?

We will have small children going, so early dining would be best for them and their parents. Late dining for the older folks. But, if us older folks take the little ones to early dinner and let the parents of the kiddos take an occasion late dinner, do you think there would be a problem? I know that we would have to ask when we get on board, but would like to know what anyone of you really experienced cruises think.

We love our grandchildren and our children and would like everyone to enjoy this big family cruise.

I have thought about anytime dining but with such a large group, I don't want to wait for a large table to be ready. With the traditional dining the tables would be there for us.

We do know we have the choice of the buffet and I am sure that some nights it will be used.

Thanks.:D

I wish you luck. We tried to get late dining for four people when we booked the Golden ten months in advance. We were waitlisted #217. We'd down to #109, but I tend to think we won't get traditional dining. So, if you are able to get ANY traditional dining time, congratulations to you!

It would really be easier if you all booked the early seating, and those who wanted to dine later could use the alternate restaurants or try to persuade their way into an Anytime dining room (I know, that's bad, but...). If you want to split between early and late, what happens when 14 want to eat early and only 6 late?

I think it may be possible to do what you are suggesting. It might confuse the heck out of the dining staff, but a quick explanation would probably clear it up for them. You may have to do some quick explaining to the Maitre d, as well, if they are checking cruise cards for seating assignments and dining rooms.

I do think the more difficult part will be what Spongerob alluded to..when your group all wants to dine at one or the other seating, and is unable to do it. You will get asked the next day to put Grandpa Joe and Cousin Bob first in line for whatever seating the next night, since they were so disappointed last night, and then Aunt Mary will get upset because, after all she is ASSIGNED that spot, so then you say first come first served, and post a sign-up list each morning on your door when you get up. But somebody still misses out on "what they really, really wanted" and then they will start camping out at your door at 6 am to get first choice on the next list. Nobody will be absolutely happy and you will be the goat.

Since your group is not wanting to dine together every night in the first place, I say have everyone sign up for what they WANT-whether it is all early, all late, all PC or some mixture thereof. Then, if the switching thing does not work out, everybody goes back to what they chose in the first place.

Personally, I would switch to PC dining. It's certainly possible to reserve tables in PC dining, and actually it's encouraged to for large groups. With this plan, you can just reserve ahead for whatever people want on a particular night. Seems much simpler to me, and it also gives you the flexibility for anyone and everyone to change their minds!

Archived