Question(s)

DiehardFF

Hello,

I was on the Dawn a very long time ago. My family is thinking of booking a cruise on the Breakaway in July to Bermuda. This will be my 7th cruise.

I was too young when I was on the Dawn to remember all that much. Does anyone know if teenagers(my self as well) like NCL? The fact that Entourage is 13-17 instead of breaking them up like other lines do etc.

I personally like to dress up on formal nights(business formal not tux) but it seems there is none on NCL? Seems optionally all the time?

Any help/thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks

Our kids went on NCL when they were 22 & 20 and loved it. we enjoy NCL because it is freestyle. All 6 cruises have been with NCL. Can't help you about the teenage issue but there is no formal night they call it a "dress up or not night".

I personally like to dress up on formal nights(business formal not tux) but it seems there is none on NCL? Seems optionally all the time?

On "dress up or not" night, there tend to be a few more people that dress up than on other nights, so you won't be out of place (heck, you wouldn't even be out of place other nights. I wear dresses every evening to dinner and feel comfortable with that). You can have your photo with the Captain on "dress up or not" night (though it doesn't technically matter if you are wearing jeans for that photo or a suit...just a matter of respectfully matching formality).

Hello,

I was on the Dawn a very long time ago. My family is thinking of booking a cruise on the Breakaway in July to Bermuda. This will be my 7th cruise.

I was too young when I was on the Dawn to remember all that much. Does anyone know if teenagers(my self as well) like NCL? The fact that Entourage is 13-17 instead of breaking them up like other lines do etc.

The first thing to consider is that the Breakaway will be nothing like the Dawn.

I expect that a teenager would be overwhelmed with all the options which Breakaway will have. The top deck alone could fill a week.

There are 2 nights where more people dress-up, but it's not mandatory. Many of us do not want to dress up, and that's okay too.

I have no experience with Entourage, except for walking through it on embarkation day...on the EPIC, and it looked really fun.

I think you'll enjoy!

Thanks for the reply guys!

This will be my 3rd time in a row out of NYC. Princess, Carnival, now possibly NCL. I dont really remember anything from the Dawn.

I actualy think "formal nights" are pretty cool. Unless you go to Black Tie events every week, then I would understand lol.

The breakaway does look very neat. I just dont have much to go off on regarding the "teen" experience per say on NCL.

Are you looking to take the Dawn out of NYC? I don't think there are any current trips planned to leave from NYC. I think the closest is out of Boston during the summer months to Bermuda.

If you are looking at the Dawn, is there a certain category or route you are looking at? A few things changed when the Dawn was refurbed within the last couple years.

My son had a great time with the Teen Clubs on the Dawn and the Gem. He was 15 and 16 at the time. Both ships have a lounge designated for the teens only. The Gem's Lounge is the Leopard Lounge and it was very, very nice. I can only imagine how over the top the Breakaway's Teen Lounge will be. I know it is important to keep the teens happy because if they aren't happy, no one is happy!

My son had a great time with the Teen Clubs on the Dawn and the Gem. He was 15 and 16 at the time. Both ships have a lounge designated for the teens only. The Gem's Lounge is the Leopard Lounge and it was very, very nice. I can only imagine how over the top the Breakaway's Teen Lounge will be. I know it is important to keep the teens happy because if they aren't happy, no one is happy!

Good to hear. To clarify, I would be going on the Breakaway. I guess I will have to wait till April to get the lowdown.

How many "night outs" per cruise?

I think that for 7 night cruise there are two or three "night outs". :)

But don't let that restrict you, you are free to dress up any night you want - there are many that will do just that, and many that won't - that's the beauty of Freestyle cruising.

I think that for 7 night cruise there are two or three "night outs". :)

But don't let that restrict you, you are free to dress up any night you want - there are many that will do just that, and many that won't - that's the beauty of Freestyle cruising.

Thanks :). Hopefully more will chime in regarding their teens experiences. How the staff are, events, parties etc. It seems carnival gets the most kids, then RC, then NCL. Also maybe sitting at one port wont be pleasing to some. However 4,000 people is alot.

Looks like the search function is working this morning. I entered teen club Norwegian and pulled up several threads on the program which might be helpful to you.

I have seen many comments on this board rating NCL as tops as far as their kids are concerned.

Good to hear. To clarify, I would be going on the Breakaway. I guess I will have to wait till April to get the lowdown.

Sorry, I mis-understood too (was a bit early when I replied), I see your family is looking at Breakaway out of NYC.

Since the Breakaway is new, hard to say exactly what all the kids stuff will be like, but compared to the rest of the fleet, it will have the obstacle course, pools with slides, etc.

Probably best to go to NCL site and at the top "Learn about our Cruises" tab, go to "Ships" then pick "Breakaway". That will redirect you to a site about the Breakaway. There is a ton of info in there.

Once May rolls around, we should start to get some real info coming in.

Archived