NCl Pearl or Disney Wonder for Alaska?

kandjrolls2

We just got back from 4 night Disney Dream (detailed review to come later). We overall all enjoyed it beside some minor faults (food was a little hit or miss in MDR, pools are too small) and we both agreed to give Disney a shot for Alaska in 2014 provided they return. The man at the booking desk told us the dates would probably be released in March. Since then, I have been researching Alaska cruises and trying to fiqure out how much this will cost. I really want to leave from Vancouver vs Seattle. We will be bringing our daughter who would be 3.5 by next summer. So she will be able to use the kids club on Disney and will still be into the characters. We loved the split bathrooms on Disney. But the Pearl has a great itinerary as well ( if not better) and their 2014 prices are already out which is pretty affordable. We have avoided NCL because freestyle dining sounds like a nightmare to us. And the cabins are pretty small but for the price we may be able to get a mini suite for the price of a inside on Disney but no split bath. So help me decide guys. Love to hear from those who did alaska with a preschooler on either ship.

TIA

I've done Alaska twice on NCL and they did a great job and a good time was had by all. The pools are nicer on NCL in my opinion.

It is a good idea to book a suite for the extra space and they usually give you some perks for booking a suite. Special check-in, happy hour lounge, parties just for suite guests. The chance to interact with the Captain and his crew. Canapes in the afternoon and some kind of fruit basket upon arrival. Coupon books with discounts for internet, laundry, etc.

The suites perks are said to be amazing, but unfortunately, a mini-suite isn't in that category (it's a bigger balcony).

We've done both DCL and NCL, and we LOVE the dining on NCL! Fixed dining times is what we didn't like on DCL (we have a big family, and racing to get ready for dinner was not fun, especially since not everyone was even hungry). NCL dining is like dining on land - ask for a table for 3, and sit down and order. Most NCL ships have 2 MDR's, a diner-like restaurant, and the buffet, as well as several fee-based dining choices (ranging between $10 - $25 pp). Those are really like land-based restaurants in their size.

We were just on the Pearl with our 22 month old in the Caribbean. We've also been to Alaska with NCL (before dd). I think freestyle dining is ideal with a child. Fixed time to me would be a nightmare. The benefit of freestyle, as pp said, is you ask for a table and you're seated. Sometimes there's a wait at peak times but then you get a pager. When it's just your family you are served much faster than a table with others. That was much easier for us to handle our toddler in the dining room. In addition, the timings of an Alaska cruise are different than a Caribbean. It seemed that we ate at all different times of the evening, depending on what we did on land.

The rooms are small. I think Disney is one of the few that has larger rooms for families, but you pay for that. We had an inside room on the Pearl. It would be great to have a larger room and even a balcony room is better, although get it for the space, not spending time on it in Alaska. It may or may not work for that, depending on the weather. The NCL bathroom are not split like Disney, but they do have the best basic showers of most ships. Sliding doors and much longer than most other ships.

The pools on the Pearl are nice, but depending on the weather you may or may not be using them in Alaska so I wouldn't pick a ship based on the pools.

Personally for Alaska I'd choose itinerary first, then ship/price. I also love the freestyle dining of NCL, especially in Alaska. If the itinerary was equal or better than Disney, I'd pick an upgraded room on NCL. Either way, you'll have a great time.

I guess I'll post an opposite opinion so you can evaluate the pros/cons. I definitely agree that the ports/itinerary should be your priority for an Alaskan cruise. You aren't on the ship that much, and the itinerary is what makes the trip. We did not use the pools because it was too cold.

We were on NCL Pearl to Alaska almost 2 years ago and I was very unimpressed with the ship (our previous cruises had all been RCI). I went with my parents, husband, and our 4 kids, ages 7months - 12. My kids actually love the regular dining and did not like the freestyle. On previous cruises they liked connecting with one waiter/waitstaff and loved that consistency throughout the cruise. My 6 year old fell in love with a wonderful waitress we had early in the cruise and we spent the rest of the cruise trying to find where she was scheduled so we could have her again (it only happened once). We also had some significant waits for our meals, so we didn't save time that way. Our cabin steward did the minimal possible, and we wondered if the set tip policy encouraged that.

In the end, we had a fantastic trip, but the ship did not play into that. I felt like I had cheaped out in my efforts to make the trip affordable, and I wished I would have just paid a little extra to go on a different line. The suite perks might have helped, so if you are able to get a room that would give you that, you might enjoy it. If also found that NCL "nickel and dimed" you at every turn. I think that might be true for most lines now, however.

I hope that helps! It all comes down to what is most important for your family, particularly in the areas that you'll use on the ship (assuming itineraries are equal).

rm,

I'm sorry you didn't have a good NCL experience, especially since it was your first one. I'm afraid you're right about the nickel and diming, but I think all mass market ships are getting that way. I could see how your kids would like one consistent waiter, but with our dd at 22 months, flexibility was more important this time. We haven't had the same experience with our cabin steward. In fact, in our inside cabin this time, we often saw our steward in the hall and he always greeted our dd by name and talked to her. He also made great towel animals, which she loved. In March we were on Oceania, the most expensive cruise we've done to date, and for 12 days we never saw our steward after he took our luggage away on the first night. So, I think both good and bad stewards are a little bit a luck of the draw. If freestyle is not your favorite though, I could see how NCL would not be your choice.

I guess I'll post an opposite opinion so you can evaluate the pros/cons. I definitely agree that the ports/itinerary should be your priority for an Alaskan cruise. You aren't on the ship that much, and the itinerary is what makes the trip.

I agree. Choose by itinerary first. I'm not sure why you are limiting your choice to these two ships. There are others that do an excellent job in Alaska. I've been to Alaska on Princess 4 times and have been very pleased. Disney won't take you to Glacier Bay, which is far preferable to Tracy Arm. If I had to pick between these two, I'd have to choose the Pearl because it does go to Glacier Bay. The Star Princess has nearly the same itinerary, and I still personally like Princess, but I've never been on NCL so I can't compare them.

I second Glacier Bay. It's why we were on the NCL Star when went. GB was the highlight of the trip for us. If Princess does a similar route, I'd look at them. They are one of my favorites too. They have both traditional and anytime dining, although since they offer both, in my opinion they don't do anytime as well as NCL does freestyle.

Archived