January 20th Sailing SE Asia

GranthamMommy

Just a quick update for those that will be doing the Gems of Asia itinerary from Singapore. Indonesia has requested that each passenger be checked to their passport.

We are supposed to arrive in Lombok in the morning, but it would take all morning to do this passport check. So, instead of just skipping Lombok, Celebrity has chosen to scramble the itinerary, which messes up three ports.

They announced this at 5 in the afternoon. Now everyone is scrambling to rearrange their private tours. They have offered 15 minute of free internet time in the internet cafe. The system is soooo slow that's it's not nearly enough time.

We can also use the phone for free, if you can reach your party.

Some have already paid for shows that will not be available on the new dates in the ports- non refundable etc etc.

If you plan to go into Singapore on your own on the Monday, you have to take transportation from the ship into town. Some places are accessible by bus. However, if you plan to take a taxi, make sure you order one in advance. We were fourth in line and had to wait 30 minutes for a cab. That gave us approximately 90 minutes in Chinatown (not accessible by bus). You must be back on the ship by noon.

I planned to write more this week, but internet is sketchy.....

If you want to avoid stress, book ship tours.........

back to changing reservations (if the page ever loads)

Hi,

I just returned from the same cruise itinerary... what did they change? Have you still got the overnight in Bali? And the full day in Komodo and Phuket? How does re-shuffling the ports help? Have they messed with the non-Indonesian ports as well? Sounds like a nightmare...

We didn't have any passport dramas on our cruise, thank goodness...

We were supposed to go to Lombok, Komodo, and then Bali for two days.

We were to arrive in Lombok tomorrow morning. Now we are arriving in Bali instead. Many of us have plans for all three ports. Now we have to change plans for all three. Everyone is scrambling. If you are on Celebrity shore excursions, everything is fine.

But if you have private plans (80 of us are on a private tour in Komodo) where we have made a huge deposit....we don't know if they can accomodate us on a different day.

Some have paid for a dinner show in Bali on Saturday evening, non refundable. Now we are spending Thursday evening - and the show is dark on that night.

Anyway......if you can go with the flow, you are okay. But if you like to make your own plans....

The Captain excused himself from Captain's Table dinner on first formal night...staff Captain sat in...Captain apparently had a telcon with Miami. The story is that Indonesian authorities (for whatever reason) refused to join ship in Singapore to "process" passports/immigration forms. Celebrity requested they join the ship early at first port of call and were apparently told that the Indonesian authorities work "9-5".

I am guessing that the port scramble is likely due to the fact that Denpasar/Bali probably has more Indonesian customs officials than Lombok due to relative size of city and the story is an Indonesian official redirected the ship sequence.

Not clear why this is an issue on the second sailing and wasn't on the first.

Maybe some corrupt Indonesian customs official did not get a "tip" from Celebrity.

Next year, Millenium is again scheduled to call at these same ports on two sailings. Celebrity ought to change itinerary to avoid Indonesia. There are many other VERY compelling and fascinating ports to visit in the region, and if there is little to no Indonesian cooperation, then the revenue to the govt in port charges and cruiser $$$ is better spent elsewhere.

Quick update - the face to face immigration did not happen. They told us we would not be off the ship until 1pm. In fact the tenders started at around 9am. I had cancelled my driver but in fact I could have tried to get him for today instead. It's a shame we all thought we only had this afternoon. It's a big zoo at Benoa with taxis vying for business. Choose carefully and try to share.

Quick update - the face to face immigration did not happen. They told us we would not be off the ship until 1pm. In fact the tenders started at around 9am. I had cancelled my driver but in fact I could have tried to get him for today instead. It's a shame we all thought we only had this afternoon. It's a big zoo at Benoa with taxis vying for business. Choose carefully and try to share.

Elaine - Sounds as if you are are subject to the whims of the Indonesian authorities. I wonder if these Indonesian ports are not used to cruise ships.

Archived