Pillows!!

ItsFoxy

I'm sailing on the Dream April 6 and I've been trying to read up on everything Dream, but I haven't read anything about their pillows. I'm 4somegibberthingish :p and I still carry my smushy down pillow wherever I go. I really would like to not have to do this for my cruise. Can anyone explain the types of pillows the Dream has. I CANNOT sleep on cheap, foamy pillows.

Anyone?

I'm exactly the same way! I have to have my smoooooshy down pillow with me, or I get horrible ear and neck pains. We actually bought a set of pillows to keep at my inlaws (we stay overnight there quite a bit) because I couldn't stand the foam things they had on their guest bed!!

For our next cruise (only my 2nd), if I have room, I will be packing my pillow, and I think I will MAKE room to pack it. For our last cruise (14 night Baltics) we took our own pillows -- but we also took 2 large suitcases each, and so had tons of room.

I'm sure you can ask the steward for pillow options, but I have no experience with it -- maybe someone else can share?? I'm on RCI Freedom of the Seas in April -- any experience there?

Like I said, I've been researching, but haven't come across anything yet. Even checked on Carnival's forum on their website. Nothing.

Lizp. I have only been on one cruise before and it was Carnival back in 2004. For the life of me I can't remember the pillows. But, I'm sure I brought my own. I always do.

Edit: The search button was back and was able to search for pillows. Found posts listing Carnivals site where they actually sell the bedding. I think, I'm going to be ok with leaving the pillow behind... A first!!

LizP,

You can use one of those vacuum-cleaner suction bags ("as seen on TV!") to make that pillow flat as pancake for packing. In fact, you can put your washable clothes and most other "squishables" into those bags as well. The resulting flat bags can be stacked into your suitcase(s) like slabs of bacon in a shopping cart, leaving room to spare. Which you'll need, since you'll be accumulating stuff all week to bring back with you.

When you unpack on board, send everything out to the ship's laundry next morning and they'll return it that afternoon folded and pressed, better than it would have been if you just packed it.

When it's time to pack up at the end of the cruise, your cabin steward can help you re-vacuum close the bags using his/her own vacuum cleaner. Or, if you have an inflatable bed or water toy that comes with a separate vacuum pump, you could just bring that along with you.

I'm sailing on the Dream April 6 and I've been trying to read up on everything Dream, but I haven't read anything about their pillows. I'm 4somegibberthingish :p and I still carry my smushy down pillow wherever I go. I really would like to not have to do this for my cruise. Can anyone explain the types of pillows the Dream has. I CANNOT sleep on cheap, foamy pillows.

Anyone?

I've not been on the Dream but the other cruises I have been on had very thick pillows. They didn't at all feel cheap but they were a little on the hard side for my comfort but not so much that I didn't get an awesome nights sleep.

I would do as a previous poster said and vacuum pack your squish pillow.

LizP,

You can use one of those vacuum-cleaner suction bags ("as seen on TV!") to make that pillow flat as pancake for packing.

BRILLIANT!

My mom actually just bought a whole bunch of those for her trip to Australia and New Zealand. They don't actually need a vacuum cleaner to work, you just stuff them full and seal the zipper, then roll them up and all the air goes out a little 1-way valve. I didn't even think about using that to pack my pillow! I will make sure to borrow a couple from her!!

We are very space- and weight-conscious for our outward voyage (flying on Spirit to Fort Lauderdale from Buffalo), we are only each bringing 1 checked bag and the weight limit is low. But I don't think a vacuum-sealed feather pillow will weigh much -- it's more the space I was worried about. For the homeward voyage we are flying on British Airways from Barcelona and they allow 2 checked bags at a heavier weight.

Adding the pillow to the packing list RIGHT NOW!

• 3 weeks later...

We always pack our pillows in our suitcases. I just purchase the Ziploc Large bags. The pillows fit in them perfectly. Just roll the bag from the bottom and press out all of the air and seal. Works GREAT!! Flat as a pancake and you don't need a vacuum to remove all of the air.

Archived