How many days in PR is too many days?

Xcitdcruiser

Hi all,

We are travelling form Aus to PR to board our cruise but as it's a 15+ hour flight we'd like to make the most out of it by staying in PR pre cruise. I was thinking about 5 nights in OSJ. Is that too long? I daydream about walking the beautiful streets during the day & drinking cocktails by night but would we get bored?

We would like to go ATV-ing in the rainforest one day, maybe segway tour another. We figure as we are cruising in the caribbean we will come across beautidful beaches then..

For those that have been (or live there) how long would you recommend? Ps. We don't fancy hiring a car (less stress driving in a diff country)!

We spent a week in San Juan a few weeks ago and it wasn't too long:) Old San Juan is great for just what you said, walking, dining, shopping, drinking:D Two awesome forts to visit. As you said there is the rain forest. Also the bio-bay, snorkeling trips, etc etc. IMO 5 days isn't too long.

Well, if you like driving, there's the Routa Panaramica (sp?)- which stretches the long length of the island, but you can take parts of it.

If you like coffee- there are plantations you can visit in the mountains on the south side of the island.

If you like rum- I *bet* with some research, you can find other places than Bacardi.

If you like art- there's the Museo de Arte de Puerto Rico in San Juan, or the Museo de Arte Ponce- which has a great collection of European art- pretty breath taking.

If you like astronomy, there the Arecebo Observatory

If you like caves, there the Camuy (sp?) Caves.

I could go on. But you can be very, very busy in 5 days if you want. And very very not if you want that, too.

We've been to Puerto Rico many times. Driving in Puerto Rico is not stressful - roads are well marked - very much like driving in the US. I highly recommend renting a car and staying at the El Conquistador(google images) - spectacular resort with private island beach(Palomino Island), golf course and waterpark. I would spend one full day enjoying the beach at the resort.

The next morning, I'd drive to El Yunque rainforest. There is a tower to climb for a fabulous island view. There are waterfalls along the road. Then, hike the trail to the large waterfall. You can hike to the falls at your own pace with a very clearly marked trail. Take a swim under the falls in a beautiful natural pool. Biobay would be great for that evening. It is very close to the resort. Check Biobay.com This is a wonderful experience - only a few places in the world to see this. Choose the night that has the least moonlight. I would schedule this with kayakingpr. We've used them several times - great tour every time. The kayaking is not extremely physically demanding, but fun. They go at a relaxing pace.

If you enjoy golf or waterparks, I'd spend another full day at the resort.

I'd transfer to a hotel with a pool in Old San Juan or nearby area. There is a free trolley that circles the entire Old San Juan area including both forts. Both of the forts can easily be visited in one day and still allow some shopping time. I also recommend a leisurely stroll on the Paseo la Princesa. This is a beautiful walk along the exterior of the fortress walls along the ocean with beautiful views along the way. You could either combine this with the fort day or if you are a major shopper, do this walk on your shopping day as it ends in the shopping area of Old San Juan.

This would be 4 or 5 full days. I know changing hotels would not be convenient, but I wouldn't want to miss the resort and private island or Old San Juan.

Renting a car does sound like it would give us more options... is that recommended if staying in OSJ? I've heard that parking is very difficult to find...I will googel El Conquistador...!

I can't imagine finding a parking spot in OSJ. The roads are narrow and crowded. I personally would be a nervous wreck driving in the city limits.

I know lots of people do rent cars in San Juan, but they probably stay at a resort outside the city limits of OSJ.

I would either plan on staying outside the city limits for at least part of your stay where driving around and parking will be much easier, and then use a taxi, the trolley, or the public buses to get around while in OSJ.

I've stayed both in the city limits and outside the city and love both options. You don't need a car inside the limits. I like #1TravelMom's suggestion to spend time both in and out of the city limits for maximum enjoyment. I think 5 days is an excellent amount of time. There is so much to see and do in and around OSJ.

We've been to Puerto Rico many times. Driving in Puerto Rico is not stressful - roads are well marked - very much like driving in the US. I highly recommend renting a car and staying at the El Conquistador(google images) - spectacular resort with private island beach(Palomino Island), golf course and waterpark. I would spend one full day enjoying the beach at the resort.

The next morning, I'd drive to El Yunque rainforest. There is a tower to climb for a fabulous island view. There are waterfalls along the road. Then, hike the trail to the large waterfall. You can hike to the falls at your own pace with a very clearly marked trail. Take a swim under the falls in a beautiful natural pool. Biobay would be great for that evening. It is very close to the resort. Check Biobay.com This is a wonderful experience - only a few places in the world to see this. Choose the night that has the least moonlight. I would schedule this with kayakingpr. We've used them several times - great tour every time. The kayaking is not extremely physically demanding, but fun. They go at a relaxing pace.

If you enjoy golf or waterparks, I'd spend another full day at the resort.

I'd transfer to a hotel with a pool in Old San Juan or nearby area. There is a free trolley that circles the entire Old San Juan area including both forts. Both of the forts can easily be visited in one day and still allow some shopping time. I also recommend a leisurely stroll on the Paseo la Princesa. This is a beautiful walk along the exterior of the fortress walls along the ocean with beautiful views along the way. You could either combine this with the fort day or if you are a major shopper, do this walk on your shopping day as it ends in the shopping area of Old San Juan.

This would be 4 or 5 full days. I know changing hotels would not be convenient, but I wouldn't want to miss the resort and private island or Old San Juan.

MDSue has made me re-look at your suggestion re the car hire w- only having it whilst staying at El Con. The resort looks amazing!! Although pricey.. how would you reommend booking for the best price?

Also, if following you 'initnerary' would you recommend hiring the car from so that we drive to the resort? Or use the shuttle & to get there & only hire for 1 day when we go to the rainforest? (can you hire a car from the resort?) ... mm... we would then need to get to OSJ for the second half of our trip... any suggestions on logistics? ...I'm enjoying this plan... hubbie to be enjoys his golf so may need to add an extra night!

I can't imagine there being too many days in PR. There are so many things to see and do. We absolutely love it there. However, I too would never want to drive in Old San Juan. The streets are VERY narrow and traffic is crazy and I'm used to Chicago driving if that tell you anything. Renting a car for activities outside of OSJ would be a great idea and really all of OSJ is walkable and no car is needed.

We have been there several times and there is more than enough to do for 5 days. Not sure where you are staying but the Caribe Hilton has a great beach set up if you stay there. They are often the 4 star deal on Hotwire.com.

Second the person above who recommended heading to El Yunque. It is easy to rent a car and drive or stay at one of the resorts near there. We stayed at the Rio Mar beach resort which is very nice and there are always deals there. They have a pond in the back that is full of iguanas. They take a group there to feed them which is an absolute blast. The hike to the waterfall is pretty easy, and it is fun to jump in the water at the bottom - a bit cold though. Also, if you go the best cheap breakfast place is on the highway right on the road you exit to go to El Yunque. For El Yunque, you go right. The breakfast place is a small bakery on the left on the way to Rio Mar. The owner is fantastic and they have really good cheap omelets and baked goods.

In OSJ, El Morro is very interesting with beautiful views of the harbor. The park by the fort is always full of people with kites. There are interesting places to eat. If you go, I highly recommend that you go the the Dragonfly - great food. All the men MUST wear shorts. You'll find out why when you get there. The Blue Parrot across the street is a great place for more traditional Puerto Rican food.

PR is our favorite destination with much to offer. We look at it as all the Hawaiian Islands rolled together.

Recommendations:

- Do not stay in OSJ

- Stay at the beache near the airport

- Use Charlies (Ace Rental Car) for the lowest prices

- Driving is very stress free outside of OSJ

- Consider going to the South-West side of the Island. It has the best beaches, low prices and consistenet weather

- Stay in Ponce, beautiful restored small city with great resturants

Thank you so much to everyone who has replied! I'm convinced that 5 days in PR is not too many days... in fact may have to extend it - i've just found that there are some shopping malls that i may need to check out ;)

Charles car rentals does look to be the cheapest. Great!

Now, El Conquistador is my preference becuase of their private island & water park, but rats are quite pricey. Anyone know if their rates fall below $200 per night? I've seen that on priceline it is one of 3 resorts in the area of Fajardo, but there is no guarantee :/

I'll be travelling in Feb 2014.

Thanks again!

Thank you so much to everyone who has replied! I'm convinced that 5 days in PR is not too many days... in fact may have to extend it - i've just found that there are some shopping malls that i may need to check out ;)

Charles car rentals does look to be the cheapest. Great!

Now, El Conquistador is my preference becuase of their private island & water park, but rats are quite pricey. Anyone know if their rates fall below $200 per night? I've seen that on priceline it is one of 3 resorts in the area of Fajardo, but there is no guarantee :/

I'll be travelling in Feb 2014.

Thanks again!

See if you can get a deal at the Hilton Ponce, it is one of the best resorts in the Caribbean.

The Gran Melia Resort is out by ElYunque and is gorgeous...we got rooms there for $95 a night..the pool area is to die for...I have some pics on the San Juan photo thread if you want to check it out....We spent 5 days pre and post cruise last year and will do the same again this year...I think I could spend weeks here...we love SJ! One great thing we did was drive to Cayey and visited the Lechoneras and had an outstanding pork dinner...talk about cultural immersion! Richies Cafe is terrific...by El Yunque...great views...Luquillo Beach kiosks were a great place to stop for lunch...Driving is a breeze once you are outside OSJ. If you are spending more than two days in OSJ, you may want to check out Caleta 64 apartments..we saved $250 over a hotel for three nights and now have a kitchen and laundry! Have a great trip!

See if you can get a deal at the Hilton Ponce, it is one of the best resorts in the Caribbean.

How long a drive from San Juan Airport to Hilton Ponce, approximately? Thanks. Is it an easy drive?

How long a drive from San Juan Airport to Hilton Ponce, approximately? Thanks. Is it an easy drive?

Takes us 1.5-2 hours, depending on the time of day (traffic and all).

It's not all that hard, but it's not exactly easy- the driver make it interesting.... Once you get to the second, and higher pass, it's pretty amazing views from the autopista.

It's very do-able.

Hi all,

We are travelling form Aus to PR to board our cruise but as it's a 15+ hour flight we'd like to make the most out of it by staying in PR pre cruise. I was thinking about 5 nights in OSJ. Is that too long? I daydream about walking the beautiful streets during the day & drinking cocktails by night but would we get bored?

We would like to go ATV-ing in the rainforest one day, maybe segway tour another. We figure as we are cruising in the caribbean we will come across beautidful beaches then..

For those that have been (or live there) how long would you recommend? Ps. We don't fancy hiring a car (less stress driving in a diff country)!

I dislike renting a car but did so, and had no problem. I stayed well outside of OSJ.

I stayed at a small place on the south side of El Yunque for 2 days. I found it far too short and could easily plan out a full week or even more, particularly with a little moving around. The northeast has Luquillo Beach, the Biobay at Fajardo, and ferry trips are possible to Culebra and Vieques, with another biobay experience.

Although there are more and better trails on the north side, the south side of the rainforest is quite secluded. I stayed at a place called Casa Picaflores which is peacefulness itself. I haven't even researched the south and west of the island, but gather that you could stay busy for a considerable time.

I think you could spend one or a few days in or near OSJ without much need of a rental, and then drive to another destination (or two or three) without much hassle. Or do the same in reverse. I do not at all think that five days is too long.

The Gran Melia Resort is out by ElYunque and is gorgeous...we got rooms there for $95 a night..the pool area is to die for...I have some pics on the San Juan photo thread if you want to check it out....We spent 5 days pre and post cruise last year and will do the same again this year...I think I could spend weeks here...we love SJ! One great thing we did was drive to Cayey and visited the Lechoneras and had an outstanding pork dinner...talk about cultural immersion! Richies Cafe is terrific...by El Yunque...great views...Luquillo Beach kiosks were a great place to stop for lunch...Driving is a breeze once you are outside OSJ. If you are spending more than two days in OSJ, you may want to check out Caleta 64 apartments..we saved $250 over a hotel for three nights and now have a kitchen and laundry! Have a great trip!

Great rate!! How were you able to get it at that price?

Wow!! Gorgeous place! Although would you do a day trip to the rainforest, or would be it much simpler to to find somewhere else in Fajardo?

To go to El Yunque, you should stay at one of the resorts around near the park that people have suggested. I don't think Fajardo offers a lot in terms of hotels, though there is a good seafood restaurant there. As you head towards Fajardo, you will find that English is not as widely spoken as in the common tourist areas of PR. I speak a little Spanish so I was able to stumble through down there, but my Mexican Spanish needed some help from bi-lingual locals at a popular fast food restaurant with the locals there.

To go to El Yunque, you should stay at one of the resorts around near the park that people have suggested. I don't think Fajardo offers a lot in terms of hotels, though there is a good seafood restaurant there. As you head towards Fajardo, you will find that English is not as widely spoken as in the common tourist areas of PR. I speak a little Spanish so I was able to stumble through down there, but my Mexican Spanish needed some help from bi-lingual locals at a popular fast food restaurant with the locals there.

Thank you for the tip. It does look like lodging in Fajardo would be easiet for what we want. I speak portuguese, so hopefully the latin base will help me out!

So far my plan is: hire a car from Charlies, drive to Resort (priceline maybe?!) in Fajardo, 1st day will be beach day, 2nd maybe head to the rainforest & maybe some outlet shopping, 3rd a day trip to Culebra. Return to Fajardo, maybe some more shopping on the way to drop off hire day.

Head to Old San Juan, stay at Vila Herencia for 2/3 nights .... and that takes me upto 6/7 nights in Puerto Rico!

Any suggestions/comments re my proposed intinerary??

Wow!! Gorgeous place! Although would you do a day trip to the rainforest, or would be it much simpler to to find somewhere else in Fajardo?

Sorry for the delay in response.

Ponce is only 1 hour from San Juan.

Check out Cabo Rojo, it is one of the most beautiful places on earth. Water 360 degrees around you. SW corner of the islan, 1 hour from Ponce.

Ponce is slow, quiet, not busy like the east coast. My neighbor and one of my best friends is from Puerto Rico. This is where the natives vacation......

We did the rainfroest the last day, on the way back to the airport. Left the hotel in Ponce at 10 am and where at the rainforest before noon.

I would try to head to the rainforest as early as possible. If you hike to the waterfall early - you will have very few people there.

Do you have your heart set on Calebra? The ferry ride will be 3 hours round trip and can be really rough - depending on the weather. Also, you need to go at least an hour early to get your tickets or you may not get on the ferry that you want. That is about 4 hours total just to go to Calebra - more than I'd want to spend.

What abour Bio Bay - this is an amazing experience - definately do not miss. You have to be careful to make sure you book you trip when the moon phase is best.

I would try to head to the rainforest as early as possible. If you hike to the waterfall early - you will have very few people there.

Do you have your heart set on Calebra? The ferry ride will be 3 hours round trip and can be really rough - depending on the weather. Also, you need to go at least an hour early to get your tickets or you may not get on the ferry that you want. That is about 4 hours total just to go to Calebra - more than I'd want to spend.

What abour Bio Bay - this is an amazing experience - definately do not miss. You have to be careful to make sure you book you trip when the moon phase is best.

Culebra does look beautiful, rather than the ferry we were actually thinking of flying from Fajardo - for a round trip it would be under $100pp. I initially wanted to stay (& camp) overnight but we will have so much luggage & thinkingit may be worth trouble than what its worth.

I've never been to Culebra - the pictures do look nice. However, you will probably have the opportunity to enjoy fabulous beaches during your cruise. Personally, I wouldn't spend the time, money, and effort to ferry or to fly to Culebra. I think you would have plenty to fill your time in Puerto Rico. I didn't see anything unique or spectacular that would warrant a day trip - just my opinion.

Archived