Royal Princess or Celebrity Reflection - August Med Cruise

NYcruisefan08

Hello!

We are debating between the Royal Princess or Celebrity Reflection for an August Med. cruise. We are a couple in our mid to late 30's, no kids, don't drink or party that much. Like to have a nice dinner in the evening, not a huge fan of shows. We do like MUTS on Princess quite a bit.

Does anyone know which way to go in that scenario? We won't really be focusing as much on the ship entertainement (I don't think) - I imagine we will more likely be utilizing the ship as a floating hotel that takes us between ports. Although we will have 2 sea days. The ports are good on both ships - mostly Greek Islands, Turkey and Italy.

During sea days we like to lay out in the sun and read.

The deals on Celebrity are amazing right now.

We sailed Ruby Princess in 2011 in the Caribbean and enjoyed our cruise.

Bonus to Celebrity are the dates - we'd only need to take off 2 weeks from work for the trip vs. almost 3 for Princess (due to the departure and return dates being mid week).

If the ship leaves on a Monday from Rome, can we fly from the US on Sunday? We'd get to Rome Monday morning, yes?

Then we'd stay in Rome for a night post-cruise to see Vatican City before heading back to the States.

Help please!

progress.gif

I wouldn't risk flying out on Sunday to arrive on Monday, the day the cruise sails. I would advise at least one day before. You only need a delay to your flght and you risk missing the ship. There is also the time it takes going through immigration, customs and the journey to the airport that could hold you up (Rome traffic can be horrendous). Too risky in my book.

I assume you are comparing this Celebrity sailing (Monday 19 Aug):

Departing from Rome (Civitavecchia), Italy; Santorini, Greece; Istanbul, Turkey; Ephesus (Kusadasi), Turkey; Mykonos, Greece; Athens (Piraeus), Greece; Naples, Italy; Rome (Civitavecchia), Italy

to Royal Princess (Saturday 10 Aug):

From Barcelona, Spain to Venice, Italy

Ports:Barcelona, Spain |Toulon (for Provence), France |Florence/Pisa (Livorno), Italy |Rome (Civitavecchia), Italy |Naples, Italy (for Capri & Pompeii) |Mykonos, Greece |Istanbul, Turkey |Kusadasi, Turkey (for Ephesus) |Athens (Piraeus), Greece |Venice, Italy

or the Royal on Thursday 22 August:

From Venice, Italy to Barcelona, Spain

Ports:Venice, Italy |Athens (Piraeus), Greece |Kusadasi, Turkey (for Ephesus) |Istanbul, Turkey |Mykonos, Greece |Naples, Italy (for Capri & Pompeii) |Rome (Civitavecchia), Italy |Florence/Pisa (Livorno), Italy |Cannes, France |Barcelona, Spain

The two end-to-end itineraries on Royal Princess blow away any round-trip cruise. Non-round-trip air may be harder to book (and a tad more costly) but as either way as you are beginning and ending your vacation with an eight hour flight it would be silly not to maximize the number and variety of places you visit. The August 10 Royal Princess only involves two workweeks--would you really have to take the entire week off if you were flying out to Barcelona on Friday afternoon?

I also commented on the other thread about the risks of sailing a line you have never sailed before on such a highly anticipated vacation. Since you already know what to expect from Princess, looks like an easy decision.

Thanks, everyone.

I'd be taking the August 22nd sailing on the Royal Princess.

I think that means I'd miss most of that week and then the following week and then the week after as well. That might be tough...

I really do like the itinerary on the Royal Princess. And I know i like the line.

I'm struggling with the choice.

If I fly out of Barcelona on the 3rd - does that put me back in New York on the 4th?

I like the itinerary on Celebrity too...

If I fly out of Barcelona on the 3rd - does that put me back in New York on the 4th?
There's a 5 or 6 hour difference that you make up on the flight west so if you leave Barcelona, for instance, you'll arrive in NYC the same afternoon or evening.

Can I add one more to the mix?

The August 16th cruise on the Ruby. I could fly out of NY on Wednesday night. I think. Land on Thursday in Rome. Go out to the boat on Friday and then have a few days when I get back into Venice and maybe go back to Rome for another night before flying back to the US.

I miss Istanbul, but go to Dubrovnik. Any thoughts on which one would be better to see?

I really do want to see Istanbul. Funny enough, we went to see Argo last week and that's what got us started with this whole trip. Ben Affleck's character stops in Istanbul and I turned and said - I want to go there!

two days later we were at the NY Times travel show and saw the cruise booths and now need to make a decision on which to pick!

I really like the August 19th sail date...

But I really like the Princess ships.

I really do want to see Istanbul.

But I really like the Princess ships.

Istanbul is the most amazing city, and the old town should not be missed. The buildings are spectacular, the Bazaar has to be seen to be believed, the food is sensational and if you have a sweet tooth - be prepared to be sent into sugar overload - the Turkish delights and all the local delicacies are sensational. They also have the best nut bars, baklava, and a specialty of the area is their Apple Tea.

I understand your predicament, and I hope you sort it out and most of all, enjoy.

We were in Istanbul last year when we did the World Cruise. We had been before, but still we walked around absolutely captivated. The people are so friendly and nice and I am dying to return.

Good luck with your decision!!

Nicki

My only advice is if you can avoid August do so, to hot, to crowded and to many kids. Having sailed the med in August about 5 times i know what its like. If you cannot avoid August try to sail as late in the month as possible.

August is the only month we can go, because of our jobs. Its the best month to take off. We are looking at the August 19th Celebrity Reflection or the August 16th Ruby or the August 22 Royal Princess.

I'm hoping we can spend a lot of time on the beaches in Greece...

If August 2013 is anything like August 2012 - it will be incredibly hot.

At this point I would favour Celebrity over Princess given their current 123 Promotion - if you have not yet checked it out, you should.

If August 2013 is anything like August 2012 - it will be incredibly hot.

At this point I would favour Celebrity over Princess given their current 123 Promotion - if you have not yet checked it out, you should.

I know - but it's our only option...

The prices and 123 perks on Celebrity are great. I checked them out and they are really fantastic.

Archived