Weather in January - Hawaii Itineraries

northerndynasty

Good day, All!

Having just disembarked from another incredible cruise (Southern Caribbean/Emerald Princess/January 2013), it's of course time to book the next - NOW! PCD (Post Cruise Depression) is very bad for me, so it's a must!

We're looking at the Hawaii 15-day R/T out of LA. From those we've spoken with, there are two concerns:

1) Sea conditions during the days-at-sea to-and-from the Hawaii Islands.

2) Weather conditions in the Pacific during January.

We've heard it all, but the most common sentiments are that the seas are rough and the weather is rainy.

Has anyone any experiences they can share regarding either or both of these issues we have.

Further, does anyone have any other important information they can share regarding this itinerary, before we make the booking.

Thanks in advance!!

Good day, All!

Having just disembarked from another incredible cruise (Southern Caribbean/Emerald Princess/January 2013), it's of course time to book the next - NOW! PCD (Post Cruise Depression) is very bad for me, so it's a must!

We're looking at the Hawaii 15-day R/T out of LA. From those we've spoken with, there are two concerns:

1) Sea conditions during the days-at-sea to-and-from the Hawaii Islands.

2) Weather conditions in the Pacific during January.

We've heard it all, but the most common sentiments are that the seas are rough and the weather is rainy.

Has anyone any experiences they can share regarding either or both of these issues we have.

Further, does anyone have any other important information they can share regarding this itinerary, before we make the booking.

Thanks in advance!!

Looking forward to the replies as we are also interested in this sailing next Jan./ Feb. 2014:)

The California Current is a rapid and cold current that flows from the Gulf of Alaska to Baja California. Sailing from San Pedro is frequently cold and choppy for the first day or two to HI and the last day or so returning. Other than that, rough seas and weather is up to Mother Nature. It's very hard to predict in advance. A few days ago, it was in the 80's here and gorgeous, the last three days have been rainy and in the 60's. It'll be back around 70-degrees in a couple of days. It all depends on the air currents.

I've taken the HI cruise several times, from January to March, and there's been a mix of rain and sun. One time it was very rough, one time it was smooth as glass. I believe it's rainy season in HI in January and February but perhaps someone who knows HI better than I do can comment.

I, too, am looking into booking a HI for 2014. :)

I've found the Hawaii board to be very helpful and a great source for information.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=62

Here's a link to Hawaii Weather Today which is the best source I've ever found for Hawaii weather including monthly trends.

http://www.hawaiiweathertoday.com/

Here's what it says for January: One of the coolest months, cold fronts from the Northwest bring showery weather, with this month the wettest of the year. Clear and warm days prevail between these showery periods. Tradewinds blow only 42% of the time, compared with July’s 95%. One of the months to see snow on top of our 10.023 foot Haleakala…which sometimes occurs. Large surf impacts the North and West shores. Sea water temperature averages about 75 degrees F.

January is a great month for me with highs in the upper 70s to low 80s & have never had a completely rained out day. It's a slower time for tourism so crowds won't be as bad either.

And if you haven't read the information on their wonderful Hawaii Spirit Program here's a link to that info.

http://www.princess.com/learn/destinations/hawaii/cruises/aloha_spirit/index.html

We booked the March 6, 2014 Hawaii cruise and are also hoping for good weather. The only time I was in Hawaii was in late Feb through late March and the weather was fantastic, both for traveling and while we were there. Hoping for the same next year! :)

Thanks for the feedback so far!

As luckymike seconded, definitely looking forward to reading as much as possible about this itinerary.

So, as I do with every cruise we go on, I watch the pricing day-after-day for fluctuations. I know that might sound tedious, but it has worked in our favor many, many times.

So, based on this particular itinerary, do the Hawaiin voyages experience any price drops throughout the countdown period? I've seen all our cruises fluctuate literally almost hourly sometimes, so I'm hoping Hawaii routes also enjoy the repricing, too.

Thanks again!

Thanks for the feedback so far!

As luckymike seconded, definitely looking forward to reading as much as possible about this itinerary.

So, as I do with every cruise we go on, I watch the pricing day-after-day for fluctuations. I know that might sound tedious, but it has worked in our favor many, many times.

So, based on this particular itinerary, do the Hawaiin voyages experience any price drops throughout the countdown period? I've seen all our cruises fluctuate literally almost hourly sometimes, so I'm hoping Hawaii routes also enjoy the repricing, too.

Thanks again!

As for price drops... It is the same with all other cruises, you just never know... I have had excellent price drops on two of my cruises to Hawaii, and the others not so much!

From what I have read on these boards, one of the last Hawaiian cruises (in January) had the roughest crossing yet... Very cold, wet and very, very rough seas...

So, as to pricing and weather, it just is not possible to predict anything with any accuracy.

We did this in Jan-'06 and found the weather in HI to be great. The crossing was as Pam said, cooler and with ocean swells 5-10'. Did NOT feel any motion, but we are good sailors. The third day was noticeably warmer and kept getting warmer as we progressed.

Left LA on a Monday at 5 PM and it was quite chilly as we left the channel. Our friend who lives in San Pedro and has a view of the ships leaving port was watching for us with his telescope. When he spotted the "X" on the stack (we were on Celebrity Summit) he flashed his powerful spotlight and we saw it! Called him on the cell to say good bye.

Leaving on a Monday we arrived in Hilo at 10 AM on Friday with a mother whale and her calf surfacing right in front of us! I was up in the gym on the treadmill and had the bridge-eyed view of it all.

That being said, whale watching at this time of the year was spectacular. I booked Captain Steve's trip out of Lahainia in Maui. Much smaller with fewer people that the ship's tour and it was about a 20 minute walk (for me) from the pier.

This was our second cruise, the first being a transition cruise from HI to Vancouver. Liked this one much better.

Sue

Hi,

Just returned from the 2nd -16th Jan Golden itinerary. As others have said, the seas and temperatures are variable and relative. When we left LA we thought the weather was great - sunny and clear, around 18c, however locals were complaining about the cold. Having come from the north of Scotland, it was most agreeable for us!

Seas on the way to Hawaii were fine and from about the second day it was possible to lie out, although it was windy and not really hot. Weather in all the islands was excellent - couple of quick showers, but generally good. Think our lowest temp was around 22c, highest 28c. We snorkelled in Maui and did notice the sea cooler than Caribbean at same time of year. Not sure of actual temperatures but after 10-15 mins we were feeling cold.

Way back was a different story. Had force 9 gales for a full 48 hours, with low cloud. Only on the last day did it improve enough to go out on deck and even then it was cool. Ship lost time because of the bad weather and ended up missing Ensenada, although I'm told this is no great loss!

We don't regret having gone at this time of year, but for the length of cruise did have relatively few hot days. Hope this helps.

:D I guess you have realized that mother nature is a fickle woman. !

We are also looking to book another Hawaii cruise--our 4th. All of our others have been in April though---which has less rain, lower humidity, but fewer whales. Our next one will probably be in March..

No matter what month, you never know what the crossing will be like.

Also, we have only had 1 price drop in all 3 of our HI cruises. We book very early because we like certain cabins. These cruises are very popular.

You will enjoy this. :)

Pat

carbisdale:

Thank you for the reply; chalk full of relative information. I know many on here have mentioned (and am cognizant of this reality) that weather and seas can't be "predicted", but history can give an idea as to what might be encountered by frequency.

Heck, on our recent 10-dayer to the Southern Caribbean, we were met with almost daily very brief showers, and some travel days that gave a reasonable test to the stabilizers. It's the Caribbean...right? In January? Who wouldda thunk it?! :)

Your report is really good information, though, and appropriate for what we're looking at...January 4th, 2014.

Hope you had a great trip! Please feel free to add more insight to your trip as you wish. In fact, if you wish, you can contact me through CC to add more! :)

Hi,

Just returned from the 2nd -16th Jan Golden itinerary. As others have said, the seas and temperatures are variable and relative. When we left LA we thought the weather was great - sunny and clear, around 18c, however locals were complaining about the cold. Having come from the north of Scotland, it was most agreeable for us!

Seas on the way to Hawaii were fine and from about the second day it was possible to lie out, although it was windy and not really hot. Weather in all the islands was excellent - couple of quick showers, but generally good. Think our lowest temp was around 22c, highest 28c. We snorkelled in Maui and did notice the sea cooler than Caribbean at same time of year. Not sure of actual temperatures but after 10-15 mins we were feeling cold.

Way back was a different story. Had force 9 gales for a full 48 hours, with low cloud. Only on the last day did it improve enough to go out on deck and even then it was cool. Ship lost time because of the bad weather and ended up missing Ensenada, although I'm told this is no great loss!

We don't regret having gone at this time of year, but for the length of cruise did have relatively few hot days. Hope this helps.

Thanks again!

As others have said it's based on supply & demand and hope that your crystal ball helps you find a good price. ;)

I've seen good prices on late November & early December cruises but not early in the booking period. If you book a sale price it will generally come with a 'non-refundable, non-transferable' deposit and my experience has been without cancelling & losing a deposit then future price reductions are not possible. For me with a $100 FCC deposit losing it for a good price reduction isn't a big issue...for those paying a full deposit it is a big consideration.

I'm flexible & can drive to the Port of LA but unlike booking early in the past now with the sale prices having a NR-NT deposit I'm going to wait for a great deal to Hawaii late in the year. :)

Can you share any information regarding "usual" weather and sea conditions one can anticipate as a norm during January months?

Thanks and have a great trip!

We are old and retired so can go anytime so when they hit us with a "flash sale" for 2/23 we jumped on it. Saved money big time. We always keep some open bookings just for that reason. Don

We have done this Hawaii Cruise twice - both times in April and the weather was great. Going early this time because of the good price and hoping for good weather. We have never considered January as a friend from Hawaii said that there could be alot of rain. Don

Pretty clearly - as a quick Web search will show - January and February are the middle of the Hawaiian rainy season, and all the anecdotal evidence from past cruisers won't change that. And having been caught by a sudden drenching while out on a hike, it will take a lot of persuasion for me to buy into the "but it's a short, warm rain" line again.

But the operative question is "Will it make a difference?" The islands, particularly the Big Island, have microclimates and rainshadows; it can be storming in one location and bone dry a short drive away. When we were on Kauai with our own rental car, we were able, one day, to change our plans and outrun the rain, mostly. But had we been on a ship's tour or other prebooked tour, we might have been stuck and soaked.

Hawaii is mostly a place for outdoor activities, and on a two-week cruise there are only four port days...not much leeway in the case of bad weather. I'm booked for the last Golden sailing, in April, and hoping the weather will be conducive to diving, hiking, and lying on the beach. And we have cars booked in three of the ports, just in case we have to outrun the "liquid sun." I would hesitate to sail midwinter, since it's more of a gamble. But it's a gamble lots of folks have won.

Archived