Port Information re: HAL's stops at Cartagena & Malaga

lapdbill

I'm sure the OP will find what they need by instead looking at the forum for Ports of Call > Europe > Spain rather than South America.

This is the index to all of the different forums on the CC. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/index.php

I would suggest also looking into the Roll Call for your cruise. As the e-mail you received when joining the CC stated, that is the place to share information on ports & tours with others sailing with you. They are researching the same ports as you.

Funnily enough, on our first visit to Cartagena, the ship's paper printed details of the wrong, ie the South American one, instead of the Spanish one.....people were wondering where were the emerald mines....:rolleyes: I don't think many on that ship knew that there was another Cartagena outside of Spain- I certainly didn't- so we all had a confusing time....:D

OP, I believe I posted some pictures of the harbour in the Spain section. It's a really good, short and on the flat walk along the harbour into town.

We loved Cartagena...I did a lot of research on this port. Many said do not do this port alone. Even on the ship they announced it over and over.

We were leary of it...but I booked a tour with Dora DeZubiria. We ended up with 2-50 passenger buses. She had big signs in the windows so we could find the buses. It was the best tour ever. She had name tags for us and she said if the locals see names tags they would not bother us. She was wonderful and knew everything. We still send emails and I always hear from her.

When we got back to dinner that evening, one couple decided to do it on their own. While they were walking a man pick pocketed the ladies backpack. Her DH chased him and he was wearing a navy blue shirt....he turned a corner and when her DH turned the corner he said there were probably 100 guys standing there in the same blue shirt!! He just turned and ran back. They got her Drivers license but luckily her passport was in their cabin......

So I would definitely hire someone for a tour.

Cartagena, Spain, is a friendly, European town with nothing to worry about from the locals. True, any place in the world can have a pickpocket or con man, but on the whole I'd feel very safe there....a lovely town, with a great history.

First trip to Mediterranean ports of call - HAL. Looking for input regarding accessibility to WiFi (e.g. Starbucks, MacDonald's.....you know what I mean. I've already heard that onboard WiFi access is slow.....and expensive.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

HAL's Internet Prices:

The advantage of having your own laptop is that you can work off-line and then just copy and paste once you are online -- will save minutes. The internet is slooooow.

There is a one time $3.95 activation fee.

Plan 1 - $0.75 per minute

Plan 2 - $55 for 100 minutes

Plan 3 - $100 for 250 minutes.

Plan 4 -- $175 for 500 minutes

Plan 5 -- $250 for 1000 minutes

Most ships will offer 10 free minutes for Plan 2 and 20 free minutes for Plan 3 if you sign up for a plan on embarkation day.

Check the daily Explorer program for other specials offered during the cruise.

Just found a website "free-hotspot.com" and found one operating free WiFi in Athens that was still "hot" (9 hrs. later than 10:AM PST). It was at a hotel in downtown Athens.

A good website to explore the ports and cities you are going to (don't forget to factor in the time difference from where you are at the locale you want to view.......yes, it's a live view of whether the "hotspot" is on or off).:)

Archived