Duty Free allowance USA to Papeete

dstables

Does anyone know what the duty free allowance for wines or spirits that you are allowed to purchase at the duty free stores at LAX when flying into Tahiti? I have goggled this question and I have come up with two answers. 1. Is 2 litres per person and the other answer is 1 litre per person. Any direct knowledge would be greatly appreciated.

Each person can "officially" bring 1 liter of wine or spirit into French Polynesia. But, tourists are very seldom asked or searched... (hint...hint..)

Tikiintahiti thank you so much. I was sure that you would know the answer. I have found you to be a wonderful source of information on Tahiti. Again thank you for all the information, tips and experiences that you so willing share where on CC!:D

This is what is stated on the AN website:

"Custom Regulations

All items brought in by travelers for their personal use are duty free, provided they are non-prohibited items and are re-exported out of French Polynesia within six months. These include 400 cigarettes or 200 cigarillos or 100 cigars; 50 grams of perfume; 500 grams of coffee; 100 grams of tea; 10 rolls of camera film; 2 liters of alcohol (Spirits, Wine or Champagne). No one under 17 years of age is entitled to duty-free tobacco or alcohol.

As Entry Requirements and Customs Regulations are subject to change without notice, always check with your travel arranger and/or the proper authorities before traveling internationally. It is the responsibility of each passenger to carry the proper travel documentation and to meet the entry conditions of each country on their itinerary. "

I recall reading that it has changed in the last year or so.

This is what is stated on the AN website:

I recall reading that it has changed in the last year or so.

I agree these people have the age wrong but the rest correct so it seems..

http://www.dutyfreeonarrival.com/en/allowances/925/242/576 also this... Modification dans la désignation des boissons alcooliques admises en franchise, par référence à leur nomenclature tarifaire : - 2 litres de vins et vins mousseux relevant du n° 22 04 de la nomenclature du tarif des douanes (au lieu de 2 litres de vins tranquilles), et

- 2 litres de boissons relevant des numéros 22 03 à 22 06 et 22 08 de la nomenclature du tarif des douanes (au lieu de 2 litres de boissons titrant plus de 22° ou 2 litres de boissons titrant 22° ou moins).

Yes the policy did change over the last year. Many web sites (including ATN) lag behind on many bits of information on their sites.

I'm not saying 2 liters is wrong but the quote I gave came from a very reliable source who owns a travel agency and personally travels to FP at least 4 times a year.

I would email Tahiti's offical tourism and ask

feedback@tahiti-tourisme.com

Considering the "hint hint" above, I take it that when entering the country as a tourist the liklihood of baggage being searched is slim. Therefore if we pack 8 bottles of wine between 4 suitcases and 2 people we "should be fine". I guess the worse that can happen is they take some away and we just have to buy more there!!

Archived