Biting my fingernails...

ILCruzr

I am leaving for Miami on Saturday for my cruise, but there's some light snow expected all thru the night, yuck and our flight is at like 6 am. This is why I hate flying in the winter, so I hope we are not delayed too much. The cruise leaves sunday but we've had this planned since may, ugh...pray I get to port of Miami!

Don't let a little snow worry you! Its the middle of winter in January :p can't say this is any sort of bad luck or anything. Coming from someone who works at an airline, believe me, we do all we can to prepare for this. Our job is easiest if you get where you need to go, when you're scheduled to go there. And in bad weather, the first bank of flights (6am) is usually the ones that fare best operationally. Delays roll and its flights later in the day that tend to get caught in "rolling" delays. Even in snow storms up here in Toronto, the bulk of our first bank always go out fairly smooth. Get there nice and early, grab a nice hot coffee and get ready to wave bye bye to Old Man Winter! :D

Don't let a little snow worry you! Its the middle of winter in January :p can't say this is any sort of bad luck or anything. Coming from someone who works at an airline, believe me, we do all we can to prepare for this. Our job is easiest if you get where you need to go, when you're scheduled to go there. And in bad weather, the first bank of flights (6am) is usually the ones that fare best operationally. Delays roll and its flights later in the day that tend to get caught in "rolling" delays. Even in snow storms up here in Toronto, the bulk of our first bank always go out fairly smooth. Get there nice and early, grab a nice hot coffee and get ready to wave bye bye to Old Man Winter! :D

That was very kind of you to reassure the OP. I know what you wrote is true, but your tone was very nice. :)

Going there a day before is the best most of us can do. I would love to go a week ahead of my cruise, but the added cost of hotels are for me prohibitive. My next cruise is not till November, and I will normally fly in the day before at the very least, but already,Im stressing about it, and wondering if I should go two days ahead. I usually fly there a day before cruise date, but lately Im getting to the point where I want to go two days before.

Anyway, I think that you should be fine, flying to the port the day before seems to be what most folks do,and rarely have a problem.

so I will guess you're on AA from ORD or SW from MDW...either way there are flights that launch very frequently to MIA...you'll be fine. Light snow at either airport is nothing. Assuming you're on the first flight out, that plane is coming in late the night before so you should be fine.

6am is a great time to be getting out. the runway cleanup crew will be up before sunrise if necessary, odds are the plane was there overnight with a crew who also overnighted and will be ready to go...

by 10 am you'll be at the luggage carousel excited to get your vacation going.

I can backup Canadian J! Agree 100pc. I have been retired from airline work for over 10 years now, but agree with you. Earlier flights and their passengers have the best chance of "getting away". So, Op has a great chance of getting to their sailaway port. :)

Ummm, doesn't this weekend's Breeze cruise leave on Saturday and not Sunday? Because I sail the following weekend and it leaves on Sunday the 10th. Unless I'm wrong on how the 8-day & 6-day rotate. But I'm off to double check the calendar to be sure!! lol

I know what you mean about the weather this time of year. Trying to find flights from Washington State was quite the challenge with avoiding layovers in places typically known for bad weather. We finally settled on a layover in Houston.

Seriously! LIGHT SNOW! You live in Chicago! Light snow is just decoration here in Maine. Our planes just shake themselves off and fly. But really that is why all flights should be a day ahead. It is not so much your weather sometimes but what the other guys are getting where you are heading. Light snow for you and clear skies to land, you should be fine. :)

I was just going to offer the same advice...take the first flight...usually little or no delays waiting in line at the deicing pad etc. and being an originating flight, no need to worry about a delay of the plane coming in on time. :)

enjoy your cruise.

Ummm, doesn't this weekend's Breeze cruise leave on Saturday and not Sunday? Because I sail the following weekend and it leaves on Sunday the 10th. Unless I'm wrong on how the 8-day & 6-day rotate. But I'm off to double check the calendar to be sure!! lol

What makes you think the OP is going on the Breeze? I'll bet the OP is going on the Glory.

I know what you mean about the weather this time of year. Trying to find flights from Washington State was quite the challenge with avoiding layovers in places typically known for bad weather. We finally settled on a layover in Houston.

OP is on Glory..at least that the countdown clock indicates. I'm with you on the Breeze though on the 10th and glad we are not traveling this weekend as the weather is not good right now.... 6 degrees in Billings. We have afternoon flights and I'm a little nervous too since we don't land until almost midnight in FL. Not a lot of wiggle room if there are delays.

OP is on Glory..at least that the countdown clock indicates. I'm with you on the Breeze though on the 10th and glad we are not traveling this weekend as the weather is not good right now.... 6 degrees in Billings. We have afternoon flights and I'm a little nervous too since we don't land until almost midnight in FL. Not a lot of wiggle room if there are delays.

Seriously, right?! So glad we have a little over a week for that huge weather system to be over with! We get in about 5:00pm Saturday.

OP.... Have a wonderful time and sorry for my faux pas on which ship your sailing on! :D

Thanks everyone for your kind words. I've just had some issues in the past and one vacation even got canceled because of snow, so I'm on edge when it comes to that. We are on the first flight in the am purposely to make the most of our vacation :)..my bags are packed minus a few things but I'm ready to be cruising, it's turning arctic here in Chicago and it's making me so excited for the warm Caribbean sun in a few days! :)

Archived