OBC or AARP Discount, why not both?!

lanceholt

We just booked the 10 day Mediterranean on the Jade in April 2, 2014 (yes we plan ahead). We are platinum Latitudes, always book with our CC. We were given the choice of our AARP discount or the OBC, but were told we could not have both. I know we get the OBC for booking so far out, but why can't we do the AARP discount as well? Just puzzled about it.

If you book direct that is true. When I booked via a link here in CC with one the major online groups I got $75 + aarp on a inside. It would have been higher with higher rate cabins. This did not show up to I got there. I also got the old HSN $100 OBC that was offered last summer. That was even after I booked.

We just booked the 10 day Mediterranean on the Jade in April 2, 2014 (yes we plan ahead). We are platinum Latitudes, always book with our CC. We were given the choice of our AARP discount or the OBC, but were told we could not have both. I know we get the OBC for booking so far out, but why can't we do the AARP discount as well? Just puzzled about it.

I always book with our online TA from a big agency and when we book that far out we get OBC, AARP and a bottle of wine.

NCL CC's dont have the incentive to please you like an outside guy will.

Please be careful.

AARP, in this context, is a travel agency. They receive a commission from NCL for their bookings.

(its all about the money)

I thought the OP was talking about the 5% AARP discount for booking at least 9 months out. My TA gives us that he doesn't work for AARP or NCL

Is the OBC for booking 9 months out also? You can't get two rewards for same promotion.

We got AARP discount in December for booking October cruise.

Then afterwards there was a Dash promotion so we got that OBC later. But it was a different promotion.

Please be careful.

AARP, in this context, is a travel agency. They receive a commission from NCL for their bookings.

The AARP discount was through NCL. My PCC was the one who told me about it.

It was a promotion offered through NCL for AARP members.

The AARP discount was through NCL. My PCC was the one who told me about it.

It was a promotion offered through NCL for AARP members.

actually isn't it the other way around? The AARP offerred it not NCL I thought.

Either way...I have gotten both right at initial booking..OBC and AARP...and not through an NCL rep..through my own TA

Please be careful.

You're confusing two totally separate entities.

There is a travel agency that operates as AARP's preferred travel agent, using the AARP name. It pays a royalty to AARP for that privilege.

Totally independent of that, NCL is an AARP "preferred" cruise line and of course also pays a royalty to AARP for that privilege. NCL offers various discount promotions that change from time to time for AARP members. You can obtain those discounts by booking directly through NCL or any travel agency. The cruise does not have to be booked through the AARP named travel agency mentioned above.

In any event the terms and conditions of the various discount and OBC promotions change frequently. Just because two particular promotions can be combined this week does mean that two other promotions can be combined, nor does it mean that new promotions introduced next week can be combined.

For those booking through a travel agency, OBC that you're receiving may be the travel agency's OBC, not NCL's OBC.

Well, I'm kind of confused by all the answers, but I have a question.

We booked our cruise 7 months in advance, if that makes a difference to my question. We are AARP members, but knew nothing about a discount for being a member. We have put down a deposit, but not yet paid the balance. We booked through a TA.

Can we still get an AARP discount? Or some kind of onboard credits? If so, how? We're new to NCL and don't know how things work with them. What kind of discounts or perks should I even ask about? We're not in a full suite - we're in a mini. We are traveling with 17 people in 6 rooms.

Thanks, folks!

Well, I'm kind of confused by all the answers, but I have a question.

We booked our cruise 7 months in advance, if that makes a difference to my question. We are AARP members, but knew nothing about a discount for being a member. We have put down a deposit, but not yet paid the balance. We booked through a TA.

Can we still get an AARP discount? Or some kind of onboard credits? If so, how? We're new to NCL and don't know how things work with them. What kind of discounts or perks should I even ask about? We're not in a full suite - we're in a mini. We are traveling with 17 people in 6 rooms.

Thanks, folks!

There are various promotions with different terms and conditions. One AARP promotion requires you to book at least 9 months on advance. Another is limited to specific cruises. Suite discounts do not apply to mini suites (nor do they get any suite privileges).

A competent travel agent will make sure you get whatever promotions you're eligible for.

There are various promotions with different terms and conditions. One AARP promotion requires you to book at least 9 months on advance.

Ok, that leaves us out. :(

Another is limited to specific cruises. Suite discounts do not apply to mini suites (nor do they get any suite privileges).

Yes, we've stayed in minis on Princess and it's the same thing. We're completely aware that they're just a glorified balcony cabin, unfortunately.

A competent travel agent will make sure you get whatever promotions you're eligible for.

I pretty much thought so, and she's done a great job. But just wanted to ask about this AARP just in case it was something she might not have known. Oh well.... I tried!! :)

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!

The discount is directly from AARP for members: "Sail away with a 5% discount on select Norwegian Cruise Line cruises."

Windstar cruises receive a 5% discount, too.

Our TA offers both OBC and the AARP discount, however, their price for the Breakaway last August was lower not using the AARP discount! Go figure.

The discount is directly from AARP for members: "Sail away with a 5% discount on select Norwegian Cruise Line cruises."

Windstar cruises receive a 5% discount, too.

Our TA offers both OBC and the AARP discount, however, their price for the Breakaway last August was lower not using the AARP discount! Go figure.

The discount is from the cruise line. The cruise line pays a royalty to AARP to become a preferred cruise line and agrees to offer AARP members a discount. In return the cruise lines receives the benefit of the AARP advertising and promotion as a preferred partner, which presumably drives AARP members to book with it, as opposed to other cruise lines that do not provide discounts to AARP members. In reality the AARP discount is not infrequently less beneficial to the passenger than other discounts or OBC promotions they might otherwise be eligible for that can't be combined with the AARP discount, as you discovered when booking your Breakaway cruise.

Archived