Leaving Kids on the Ship Question

Good grief people, lighten up! A family vacation doesn't mean 24/7. When I travel alone with my husband he occasionally goes golfing while I shop, or one of us even goes to the spa for the afternoon while the other's at the pool. Does that mean we should just take separate vacations, or maybe we should seek marriage counseling?

Like others have said, we have to beg our dd8 to LEAVE the club. This is one of the very reasons cruising is such a great vacation for our family. We also have two ds14. Trust me, they have very different interests than their sister. On a cruise we are able to spend time doing things that interest them, but would bore their sis out of her mind (Tulum comes to mind), and Vice versa (turtle farm, shopping). We get 'quality time' with everyone this way, coming together for appropriate fun times for all of us (beach, meals, shows).

As for the safety of it all, this really has never even occured to me. My cell phone does have international calling and works in most ports. I guess next time I should provide the club staff with the number. I whole heartedly agree that in some ports my children are far safer on the ship. And yes, I suppose 'anything could happen', but 'anything' does also happen at home. I would hate to spend my wonderful vacations in paradise worrying about something so remote.

This has raised a question for me....how does the club contact you in an emergency when you're onboard the ship? With Disney every family was given a pager to contact the parent immediately if there was an emergency, or even just if the child was ready to leave. How does it work on RCI?

Actually PelicanBill is right and I forgot to mention - our Verizon phones had service in Jamaica. In fact, that's where we caught up on some of our calls/business. I believe there were roaming charges (ours were regular, inexpensive Natl. plan phones), but the point is we had very good coverage. I'm not sure what happens to service if you go up into the mountains, but it worked fine around the central parts of Ochos Rios.

By the way, the Adventure Ocean program on RC is more like a camp for kids, not "babysitting." Most kids choose to go there and that's part of the fun of the trip for them.

Thanks again for all the replies. I know different people have different opinions.

I'm shocked a simple question (IMHO) got some of the replies it did. Simply shocked. Obviously some people have nothing better to do than tell me what a bad parent I am (in so many words). I know who I am and how I parent my kids. Through life we leave our kids in various places alone and always have a plan in case we are needed. I will ensure I have a plan. Heck that's why I asked what people do in the first place. Most of you understood.

The Verizon thing sounds worth looking into. Not sure if you folks have other ideas. I'd still like to hear them.

And I read the kids club is open all day when at port. Correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks again.

Tony S.

Our kinder have luv'd their kruise kid's klubs, wanting to be there more than anywhere!! once on board, they simply rarely get off the ship till the cruise is over. Now, as far as staying in touch: either the grandparents or the parents stay on board with the klub pager as there is no signal off the ship. A cruise will always remain a nice family vacation whether or not some prefer to stay in the klub or go roaming in the ports. Little people don't fare too well in intense sun and heat - they tend to be more prone to strange bug bites, etc. Doing the falls in Jamaica is not for the younger set! Other than the Conch Train in Key West, or perhaps a little beach time in a port, the little ones would rather go play with their "own toys"! (p.s. the Conch Train turned out to be one expensive "nap-time" !!:D )

Re the cell phone idea, Tony, I assume you have one already. Make sure you have international calling capabilities before you leave. We have cingular, and our plan/phones are international, but the salesman forgot to tell me that we need to get specific approval for overseas calling. So when we got to Ensenada, I tried to call the vet (had a sick kid, er KIT boarded), only to have my call blocked.

If the grandparents have a cell and the pager, then AO could contact them and they can call you. That seems fairly simple, you horrible, neglectful seflish person, you.:D

Thanks again for all the replies. I know different people have different opinions.

I'm shocked a simple question (IMHO) got some of the replies it did. Simply shocked. Obviously some people have nothing better to do than tell me what a bad parent I am (in so many words). I know who I am and how I parent my kids. Through life we leave our kids in various places alone and always have a plan in case we are needed. I will ensure I have a plan. Heck that's why I asked what people do in the first place. Most of you understood.

The Verizon thing sounds worth looking into. Not sure if you folks have other ideas. I'd still like to hear them.

And I read the kids club is open all day when at port. Correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks again.

Tony S.

Tony, I am wondering if it's possible to use those "high powered" walkie-talkies they have now. I am not sure how far "inland" you were planning on going when in Jamaica, but they may be an option. I know Margaritaville in Ocho Rios is only a few blocks away from the ship, but maybe if you were going to the Falls or something, you might lose your signal. I know some of those new walkie-talkies have a five mile radius.

Maybe if you had those, you'd only be out of range an hour or so and then when you got back toward the ship.

Also, don't pay attention to people like Clark and CXR. They are all about hate and vitriol. CXR has said nothing nice or constructive since "it" joined here.

At least one thread that I read (don't remember which forum) the parent had to be taken to the ship after it left the pier. I can't imagine what a nightmare that must have been!

When I was on Grandeur a few years back, we had to return to Curacao after sailing away for at least 20 minutes to pick up a woman who left her child at Adventure Ocean.

If you are going on an excursion especially one of the ships, they should be able to contact you via cell phone to the guide if an emergency arises. :)

book one of the ships excursions so that they WILL NOT leave without you

american cell phone do work in Jamaica at least my cingular one did (it was expensive but who cares in an emergency)

I am sure evrything will be fine, just book through the ship for your excursion and go and relax!

We left our 2 DD's on board for Belize and Cozumel...."OH MY GOD!!!" What terrible parents we are!!! Hey, you spend alot of money on a vacation and you should be able to have a break and enjoy your spouse, signifigant other,whatever. The childrens programs are designed for just that and most of the time the kid's dont want to leave! Anyway...I never worried about the kids when we were off the ship, they had a great day and so did we! Have fun and dont listen to some of the people that give you a guilt trip...I bet they dont have kids!

Me too, I'm another terrible parent! Bad, bad mommy that I am, afterall, I only spent 24/7 with them, what was I thinking to let them stay in the kids programs they begged to stay in while we went shopping for china in Bermuda? Good lord, how could I have missed that opportunity for 2 hours of quality time amongst the crystal goblets? Quick, somebody call DCF, my poor kids have been seriously neglected and may never recover from the trauma of Adventure Ocean...:D

Archived