Ankara Turkey, US Embassy bombed, will that affect Istanbul?

It's unlikely based on what is known at this point. Ankara is a long way from Istanbul, both in terms of distance (around 6 hours by road) and culture. Istanbul is very Western, Ankara is less so and it is more political there because it's the capital. Thus, these types of events and protests happen.

Of course, if new events occur or it turns out this is part of some larger plot, that could possibly change things.

Here is what I found from the State Dept. as of today.

Americans were warned to avoid visiting the embassy or U.S. consulates in Istanbul and Adana until further notice, and were told to register on the State Department's website.

"The Department of State advises U.S. citizens traveling or residing in Turkey to be alert to the potential for violence, to avoid those areas where disturbances have occurred, and to avoid demonstrations and large gatherings," said a statement issued by the U.S. Consulate in Istanbul. "Even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and possibly escalate into violence. U.S. citizens are therefore urged to avoid the areas of demonstrations if possible, and to exercise caution if within the vicinity of any demonstrations."

Here is what I found from the State Dept. as of today.

Americans were warned to avoid visiting the embassy or U.S. consulates in Istanbul and Adana until further notice, and were told to register on the State Department's website.

"The Department of State advises U.S. citizens traveling or residing in Turkey to be alert to the potential for violence, to avoid those areas where disturbances have occurred, and to avoid demonstrations and large gatherings," said a statement issued by the U.S. Consulate in Istanbul. "Even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and possibly escalate into violence. U.S. citizens are therefore urged to avoid the areas of demonstrations if possible, and to exercise caution if within the vicinity of any demonstrations."

In principal, there is no reason why you should go anywhere near a US embassy. The warning about demonstrations is issued for many countries. It is never wise in any country to get anywhere near protests which can get out of hand, whether that is in London, Athens or anywhere else.

Ankara and Istanbul are worlds apart. Istanbul is very worldly, western, modern. Ankara is very religious, a lot poorer, etc. In fact, this week a famous dutch soccer player who signed up with a team from Istanbul commented that in many ways Istanbul was far more modern than Italy where he had played up to now! Turkish people are very very nice. Don't let 1 maniac deter you from travelling to this great country,

In principal, there is no reason why you should go anywhere near a US embassy. The warning about demonstrations is issued for many countries. It is never wise in any country to get anywhere near protests which can get out of hand, whether that is in London, Athens or anywhere else. ...,

However some US embassies are located where you might frequently walk by them. The embassy in Rome is on Via Veneto. We once stayed in a hotel near it and walked past it almost every time we used the subway or caught a bus.

I think it is a matter of exercising caution and keeping an eye on the news. If things get worse then I am sure the cruise companies would pull out of Istanbul and Turkey for that matter but as people say Istanbul is a very modern city and Western.

I am very much looking forward to Istanbul on this stop so I hope nothing stops us. :)

Archived