Changes to taxi/bus chaos at port vila

They have trialled and will implement long term, changes to the ravel currently facing cruisers dis embarking at vila. Part of correspondence below.

"So even this morning, as soon as all the passengers are disembarking, they are hassled from the gate by a sea of ager drivers all competing for a single fare…. It must be terribly overwhelming and for some, quite scary, for all those passengers who have decided to explore our beautiful shores… there should only be around ten taxis and ten buses there at any one time, there is no point to have 100 buses and taxis (blocking up both sides of the road), and their drivers all standing around competing with each other, and clogging up the whole apron, and most importa leaving the leaving the wharfntly making our “guests” feel awkward in making choice."

This is fantastic news especially for those booked on tours trying to get out. Half hour lost before even leaving the wharf area.

I agree it was chaotic and frightening for some passengers..but how are they going to select which ten taxis/buses get to wait at the pier? I think its important for the local economy that a fair system is in place to ensure everyone gets a chance to make a living. I would prefer if they displayed the cost per hour on the windscreen or the short journey cost into town or out to the cascades etc. Not everyone is able to cope with the haggling/negotiating that currently goes on.

Sue

We have been to Vila several times in the last couple of years and the first couple of times it was the usual chaos, on the third visit Feburary last year is was organised and the Taxis were further down the road with only a handful at a time allowed up to the dock gates, Police were there supervising.

We were there again last May and it was back to the usual chaos and touting.

It is the worst feature of Vila IMO.

We have been to Vila several times in the last couple of years and the first couple of times it was the usual chaos, on the third visit Feburary last year is was organised and the Taxis were further down the road with only a handful at a time allowed up to the dock gates, Police were there supervising.

We were there again last May and it was back to the usual chaos and touting.

It is the worst feature of Vila IMO.

Are they proper licensed taxis , or just locals who have an old car and turn up on the day for pocketmoney?

Just wondered if they carry any insurance for carrying passengers?

Surely any Travel Insurance would be null and void , in the event of an accident , if the taxi was not legit.

oops double post.

I don't think they worry too much about Taxi registration or formalities, they are working to a different system in Vila.

I doubt that the couple of hundred that turn up would be full time official Taxis, they would have no work when there was no Cruise Ship in Port.

We experienced Vila for the first time this last week and it was certainly....interesting.

I had 2 guys (one was quite large) seperate me from my husband then kept bumping me away from the gate while hassling me to hire them.

I just kept bumping back, I dont back down when pushed but to someone less confident this would have been terrifying.

Archived