Streetcar/trollie in NOLA?

flatman

We are going to be in NOLA in April and I was wondering about the streecars or trollies to get around. I read a review where a guy said they were so packed that you couldn't see where you were or when to get off, he said all he could see was the people around him and he had to use his GPS to get off where he wanted to. Is this true? Are they really that packed or can I easily get on and off when I want to?

Jim

Hi Jim,

We have been to NO twice now and both times rode the streetcars several times and we rode all three lines. We were never really crowded and thoroughly enjoyed them. Get a pass for $3.00 you can ride all day and get on and off as many times as you want. If you don't get a pass then you pay $1.25 each time that you get on and off. I imagine the streetcars are crowded during the rush hours(going to and from work ?)

Have you been to NO before ?

Frank from PA

Hi Jim,

We have been to NO twice now and both times rode the streetcars several times and we rode all three lines. We were never really crowded and thoroughly enjoyed them. Get a pass for $3.00 you can ride all day and get on and off as many times as you want. If you don't get a pass then you pay $1.25 each time that you get on and off. I imagine the streetcars are crowded during the rush hours(going to and from work ?)

Have you been to NO before ?

Frank from PA

Hi Knarf, no I haven't ever been to NOLA yet. Any suggestions or pointers would be greatly appreciated. I feel better about the streetcars now. Thanks.

Jim

Hi Jim,

I am going to throw a lot of things out, so don't hestiate to ask for any clarafication. You can go to this site and request a visitors guide, which has some good maps, coupons and a lot of NO info. www.neworleanscvb.com

There is a place to ask for the official Visitors guide. Will take about 2/3 weeks to come.

It really helps if you get a picture in your mind of the layout of New Orleans. this is a pretty good map to help you in that regard..go to http://www.neworleansonline.com/tools/transportation/maps.html,

Scroll down to neighborhood maps, French Quarter click on view online.

The arrows on the bottom are very useful. Move the arrow to the left(-) to get a bigger picture of the area.

There are 3 streetcars routes in NO - Riverfront Streetcar runs along the river it is blue in color, Canal Streetcar goes up and down Canal Street it is red in color, and St Charles Streetcar is green in color, but this map doesn't show the St Charles Streetcar route very well

A good site for streetcar info is http://www.neworleansonline.com/tools/transportation/gettingaround/streetcars.html

When you are on this page, near the top click on MULTIMEDIA and see a little clip about the St Charles Streetcar run.

When you get on the Streetcar for the first time buy the all day pass, so you can get on and off as many times as you wish. We have ridden all 3 lines from one end to the other. The St Charles I think is the more popular one as it goes out, I think about 6+ miles thru the Garden District-which has all the old beautiful homes, goes past the Audobon Zoo, Audobon Park, Lafayette Cemetery, Loyola University,Tulane University( They are right next to each other). You can ride it to the very end, (get off have a sandwich at the local popular restaurant)it turns around(but everybody has to get off, but you can get right back on for the 6 mile trip back. We did that exact trip when we were there and got off at all the stops that I mentioned, just to look around. We walked thru Audobon Park over to the Zoo but didn't go in, walked back to catch the next streetcar- which they do come buy fairly often. We did walk thru the Lafayette Cemetery, we did have a sandwich at the end before getting back on. We, I guess, are country bumbkins we really enjoyed the St.Charles Streetcar. Going to NO in March and plan on riding it again out to the end. We rode the Canal Street Streetcar all the way out to the end(at the end is a VERY LARGE Cemetry) but then got back on and rode it back-good way to see downtown NO. We also rode the Riverfront Streetcar all the way to the ends.

Another good site for Streetcar info is www.norta.com

Sorry I rambled on, but I like going to New Orleans and like to share what I have found out about it.

Are you cruising out of NO? Going there on vacation ? How long will you be there? Noisy aren't I !!

Later,

Frank

Knarf

Thank for the great nola info. My friend and I are going to cruise out of nola in 3 weeks (feb 24) and are staying 4 days after to enjoy the city. This will be my first time in nola and would love any advice on places see, where to eat, or just anything you want to share.

Knarf

Thank for the great nola info. My friend and I are going to cruise out of nola in 3 weeks (feb 24) and are staying 4 days after to enjoy the city. This will be my first time in nola and would love any advice on places see, where to eat, or just anything you want to share.

Hi, Where in Ohio do you live ? We are on the western edge of PA about 20 miles from Ohio.

We are cruising out of NO March 3 and going down on the 2nd and we too are staying in NO 3 days after our cruise. You'll be coming into port and we will be leaving !!:eek:. What ship will you be on?

This what we have done the other two times in NO and will probably do some of it again this time.

Of course ride the St Charles streetcar(probably the others too), we really enjoy the National World War 2 Museum( www.nationalww2museum ), so we will go there again. If you are interested in history(which my DW and I are) this is a great place. Need to give yourself about 3 hours to see the films and exhibits. And a block from it is the Confederate Memorial Hall Museum (second largest Confederate collection in the nation) www.confederatemuseum.com We will walk all over the French Quarter, stop and get a beignet from Cafe Du Monde and take it out the door and go up and sit on the Mississippi and eat and enjoy the scenery. While in the French Quarter we want to walk over and go thru the Old US Mint

www.neworleansonline.com/directory/location.php?locationID=1277

The last time we were in NO we rented a car and drove out to Laura Plantation for a tour. and right next door is the Oak Alley Plantation. i looked into a tour, but found it cheaper to rent a car and go at our leisure. They are about an hours drive from NO..easy drive and directions.

Info on the plantations and from my reading( I think Laura and Oak Alley seem to me to the most popular) http://www.neworleansonline.com/neworleans/attractions/plantations.html

Watch this post as I think of more I'll let you know. Got to go out and snowblow..got about another 5 inches of snow last night on top of what fell yesterday during the day that I just watched accumulate !!!!:eek:

Better yet, maybe I'll start the snowblower and LET MY WIFE DO IT !!:D

Later,

Frank

We are in dayton just about an hour or so southwest of columbus. We are sailing on the conquest. My son and his girlfriend drove to Pittsburgh friday night for a Penguins game on saturday - waiting to hear how the drive home was. I will be watching your posts with all your suggestions-I'm am a planner and your info is very helpful.

We are in dayton just about an hour or so southwest of columbus. We are sailing on the conquest. My son and his girlfriend drove to Pittsburgh friday night for a Penguins game on saturday - waiting to hear how the drive home was. I will be watching your posts with all your suggestions-I'm am a planner and your info is very helpful.

All I can say is that you better leave the ship in very good condition, because as you leave the Conquest, I will be getting on.:) I would say don't eat all the food , but they will be restocking it as I am checking in.

We will be doing a different itinerary than you..we are going to Freeport, Bahamas, Key West, and Nassau.

From the 60's to the 80's I used to go to Dayton once a year to play in a Volleyball tournament usually at the Y or Wright Pat. It was usually come into town really late on Friday, play all day Saturday, and then drive home late Saturday night. Much younger in those days !!:p I don't think I ever saw the town !:eek: I keep talking about going back to tour the Air Force(?) Museum there. I understand it is really interesting.

Are you flying to NO or driving ?

Talk to you later.

Knarf(Frank backwards)

We definetely fly! Would have driven in my younger days but after 30 years raising kids I do things the easy way now. We try to take one cruise a year and have already booked 2014. I love being on the water and having the chance to see different parts of the world-but of course the best part is I'm being waited on instead of me doing all the work!!!!!

We definetely fly! Would have driven in my younger days but after 30 years raising kids I do things the easy way now. We try to take one cruise a year and have already booked 2014. I love being on the water and having the chance to see different parts of the world-but of course the best part is I'm being waited on instead of me doing all the work!!!!!

Isn't that the truth !!

I use this site for much of my planning... http://www.neworleansonline.com/

A place that I read about that people seem to enjoy is the Mardi Gras World..never been there. Very close to the end of the run for the Riverfront Streetcar near the Convention Center which is right on the river. www.mardigrasworld.com

Another thing we did was ride the Canal Street Ferry(free) which you get on at the bottom of Canal Street and it takes you across the river to Algiers Point. Not a whole lot to see there, but stopped at the Dry Dock Bar for a coke and sandwich. You get a different view of NO from the boat ride.

I am sure you have , but there are lots of good ideas from the Cruise Critic folks on this Gulf Coast forum.

Any questions just holler.

Frank

Hi Jim,

I am going to throw a lot of things out, so don't hestiate to ask for any clarafication. You can go to this site and request a visitors guide, which has some good maps, coupons and a lot of NO info. www.neworleanscvb.com

There is a place to ask for the official Visitors guide. Will take about 2/3 weeks to come.

It really helps if you get a picture in your mind of the layout of New Orleans. this is a pretty good map to help you in that regard..go to http://www.neworleansonline.com/tools/transportation/maps.html,

The arrows on the bottom are very useful. Move the arrow to the left(-) to get a bigger picture of the area.

There are 3 streetcars routes in NO - Riverfront Streetcar runs along the river it is blue in color, Canal Streetcar goes up and down Canal Street it is red in color, and St Charles Streetcar is green in color, but this map doesn't show the St Charles Streetcar route very well

A good site for streetcar info is http://www.neworleansonline.com/tools/transportation/gettingaround/streetcars.html

When you are on this page, near the top click on MULTIMEDIA and see a little clip about the St Charles Streetcar run.

When you get on the Streetcar for the first time buy the all day pass, so you can get on and off as many times as you wish. We have ridden all 3 lines from one end to the other. The St Charles I think is the more popular one as it goes out, I think about 6+ miles thru the Garden District-which has all the old beautiful homes, goes past the Audobon Zoo, Audobon Park, Lafayette Cemetery, Loyola University,Tulane University( They are right next to each other). You can ride it to the very end, (get off have a sandwich at the local popular restaurant)it turns around(but everybody has to get off, but you can get right back on for the 6 mile trip back. We did that exact trip when we were there and got off at all the stops that I mentioned, just to look around. We walked thru Audobon Park over to the Zoo but didn't go in, walked back to catch the next streetcar- which they do come buy fairly often. We did walk thru the Lafayette Cemetery, we did have a sandwich at the end before getting back on. We, I guess, are country bumbkins we really enjoyed the St.Charles Streetcar. Going to NO in March and plan on riding it again out to the end. We rode the Canal Street Streetcar all the way out to the end(at the end is a VERY LARGE Cemetry) but then got back on and rode it back-good way to see downtown NO. We also rode the Riverfront Streetcar all the way to the ends.

Sorry I rambled on, but I like going to New Orleans and like to share what I have found out about it.

Are you cruising out of NO? Going there on vacation ? How long will you be there? Noisy aren't I !!

Later,

Frank

Thanks Frank, we are checking out all of these sites and taking in everything we can from them. You are getting us very excited and we can't wait to go there. I am looking so forward to the food and my wife is looking forward to the music. I think this cruise is going to leave a great memory for all of us. Yes, we are cruising with a daughter and her DH, and 2 grandchildren age 17 & 10. We are trying to arrange it to be a 2 day precruise stop. we can't wait to see there faces on this vacation cuz it's there first for everything. I can just see the 10 year old asking his mom "can I get some ice cream?" and then she says "you can get anything you want anytime you want and it's free." We are having a ball researching all of this and you are a good find. No, your not nosey, your informative and don't worry about rambling on cuz that's what I'm good at too. My wife has applied for the Visitor Guide and we are getting really pumped about this trip. I haven't checked out these sites you gave me yet but I will as soon as I get off of here. We're going on a 8 day cruise on the Carnival Breeze this coming April 27th. We have an incredible roll call going on and it's growing everyday. Can't wait to meet all of these people. It's got to be over 50 people so far. Then we are going on the "Sunshine" in april of 2014 out of New Orleans, so I have a lot of time to get all of the suggestions I can get from people like you who have been there before. We believe the streecar ride will show us the city better than just walking around. Where's the best restaurant for oysters or gumbo? I can't hardly wait for this trip.

Now who's rambling on?

Thanks for all of your help. It's great talking to ya. Maybe we'll cruise together one day in the future..

Jim

Another nice trip (and free) is the Gretna ferry. It leaves from the same dock as the ferry to Algiers, but goes upriver a good distance to the Gretna terminal.

Thank you. Of all my reading about NO (and it's been a lot) that's the first I've heard of that ferry. Sounds neat, can you tell me(us) more about it...where do you get off ? Is there only one stop? Is there anything to see or do at that stop ? If I get off, how long do you have to wait to get the next ferry back ? You get on at the same place as the Canal St. ferry ? About how long is the one way trip ?

Thanks again for the information:) and thank you (I hope) for answering my questions.

Frank

Thank you. Of all my reading about NO (and it's been a lot) that's the first I've heard of that ferry. Sounds neat, can you tell me(us) more about it...where do you get off ? Is there only one stop? Is there anything to see or do at that stop ? If I get off, how long do you have to wait to get the next ferry back ? You get on at the same place as the Canal St. ferry ? About how long is the one way trip ?

Thanks again for the information:) and thank you (I hope) for answering my questions.

Frank

A tour guide told me this past fall that the ferry ride is good, but make sure to turn around and get back on her. Do not stay and visit Algiers and do this in the morning.

I stayed a very quaint but perfectly located hotel in the French Quarters this past September. Place d'Armes is half a block from Jackson Square. New Orleans is one of my favorite places. You can get reserved seats for the N.O Preservation Jazz Hall performances (worth the extra). There is a free shuttle that will pick you up for Mardi Gras World. Just call them. This place has really gotten so much bigger since they moved from across the river. Did a couple of walking tours. Surprisingly, many places are not open every day. Didn't get to Brennans because they closed between lunch and dinner. Finally got a Muffuletta at the Central Grocery Store that was closed on Sunday and Monday (I think). The Lafayette National Park offers a tour a day. Worth visiting (for free). I spent 4 full days in the quarter. And that was not enough time!

When are you going? The very best time is to hit the weekend after Easter (April 11-14. 2013). Almost all the streets are closed and there is music everywhere!

Enjoy your time. It is a long way down the river to the Gulf.

Renee

A tour guide told me this past fall that the ferry ride is good, but make sure to turn around and get back on her.Renee, what ferry are you referring too, the Canal Street ferry or the Gretna Ferry ?? Do not stay and visit Algiers and do this in the morning.

I stayed a very quaint but perfectly located hotel in the French Quarters this past September. Place d'Armes is half a block from Jackson Square. New Orleans is one of my favorite places. You can get reserved seats for the N.O Preservation Jazz Hall performances (worth the extra). There is a free shuttle that will pick you up for Mardi Gras World. Just call them. This place has really gotten so much bigger since they moved from across the river. Did a couple of walking tours. Surprisingly, many places are not open every day. Didn't get to Brennans because they closed between lunch and dinner. Finally got a Muffuletta at the Central Grocery Store that was closed on Sunday and Monday (I think). The Lafayette National Park offers a tour a day. Worth visiting (for free). I spent 4 full days in the quarter. And that was not enough time!

When are you going? I am going the first of March-2013. The very best time is to hit the weekend after Easter (April 11-14. 2013). Almost all the streets are closed and there is music everywhere!

Enjoy your time. It is a long way down the river to the Gulf. Once the ship leaves the dock in NO, it takes 7 hours to "Go down the Mississippi to the Gulf Of Mexico" !! Thanks Johnny Horton !:D This usually surprises a lot of people. Unfortunately, if your ship leaves the port at 5 PM in a hour or so it is dark, so you don't get to see a whole lot.

jgmpuma,

Thanks for the reply. You do get on the Gretna Ferry at the Canal Street Ferry dock ??? :confused:

We are going to New Orleans the end of April/beginning of May. I've been researching on and off on various sites.

We are staying at Harrah's.

This one thread has so much information!

Thank you to all who have contributed!:)

We are going to New Orleans the end of April/beginning of May. I've been researching on and off on various sites.

We are staying at Harrah's.

This one thread has so much information!

Thank you to all who have contributed!:)

Hi mafig,

Have you been to New Orleans before ? Harrah's, in my opinion, is in a great location..close to everything...the ferrys, Canal Street Streetcar, Riverfront Streetcar, close to FQ, It seems to be in the middle of all the attractions. Glad you like the posts, Cruise critic folks are a helpful bunch.:)

Any questions, fire away.:p

Frank

I was in New Orleans about 30 years ago, but DH has never been.

Just reading and getting a general "feel." I'm still at the point of not knowing what exact questions to ask.

But I'll be back with many questions in the weeks ahead.:)

I was in New Orleans about 30 years ago, but DH has never been.

Just reading and getting a general "feel." I'm still at the point of not knowing what exact questions to ask.

But I'll be back with many questions in the weeks ahead.:)

If you'd like me to bring you something from there, just let me know.:D

I'll be there in 3 weeks; 1 day; 17 hours; 4 minutes and 43-42-41-40 seconds !! Cruising out of there on the 3nd of March and going down on the 2nd.

Frank

Hi Jim,

Later,

Frank

What is the restaurant at the Audubon Park end of the line? Is it easy to find?

We are also thinking of taking the streetcar from Canal St to Audubon Park, and having a stroll around...

What is the restaurant at the Audubon Park end of the line? Is it easy to find?

We are also thinking of taking the streetcar from Canal St to Audubon Park, and having a stroll around...

Good morning,

The St Charles Streetcar goes on past Audubon Park/Zoo( you can get on and off there) and the streetcar continues on out about a another mile to the end where it turns around. About 10 or 11 blocks(?) past the park, the streetcar makes a turn to the right(I think this turn may be reffered to as Riverbend.) If you get off at the bend there is the Camellia Grill which is where we got off and had a sandwich. Saw it on Cruise critic so we thought we'd give it a try. Not expensive. Can Google and see menus.

This time we are getting off at the same place and having a bite to eat at Pepperoni's Grill. Other places there too.

I'm sure there are places at the zoo where you get get a bite to eat,not sure.

i read today where the St Charles Streetcar is a 13 miles ride and is 90 minute roundtrip.

Hopes this helps somewhat.

I have asked NO friends about a family restaurant near the park-waiting to hear.

Frank

Archived