NZ Ups Wine Production, To Be Bigger World Player!!

From Associated Press (AP) newswire late this past week, they have this headline: "US WINE PRODUCTION, CONSUMPTION UP" with these highlights: "U.S. residents now make up the largest wine market in the world, consuming 13 percent of all that's produced globally. U.S. production increased 2 percent last year to help meet demand. Bulk wine imports from Argentina helped slake the thirsts of U.S. consumers, followed by Chile and Australia. New Zealand has boosted its planted acreage by almost a quarter and is expected to become a bigger player, especially with production of sauvignon blanc."

Another news article today has this headline: "Cruise ships 'key in growing wine exports' " with these highlights: "The growing number of cruise ships visiting the Marlborough region has provided local wineries with an opportunity to increase export sales and create advocates for their brand in key foreign markets. The influx of cruise ship tourists arriving in the area has boosted wine sales and increased traffic through wineries by over 100% per day. Tourists are purchasing significant quantities of wine with many buying more than a case of wine at a time. Australian visitor numbers to the winery are additional international marketing benefits. Historically, entry into the Australian market has been challenging for Kiwi wineries, despite the geographic proximity and favourable trade terms. The NZ expert says the Australian market is well serviced with local wine producers and it has a parochial and loyal domestic following."

New Zealand is home to what many wine critics consider the world’s best Sauvignon Blanc. Oz Clarke, a well-known British wine critic highlighted on these Cruise Critic boards wrote in the 1990s that New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc was "arguably the best in the world".

With our first down under adventure less than a year away, we're looking forward to testing some of those good NZ and Australian wines.

Full stories at:

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_CALIFORNIA_WINE_SALES?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

http://www.voxy.co.nz/business/cruise-ships-key-growing-wine-exports/5/146521

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 117,124 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

As a result of my visit to New Zealand during March-April, 2012, I have become a fan of New Zealand's Sauvignon Blanc. There are some differences among the various labels, but all that I have tried are very enjoyable. Their Pinot Noir is also very drinkable.

Here in my area, the wine store that I usually patronize has had some excellent pricing on New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc, even including one from a winery, Villa Maria, that I visited.

Anyone who visits New Zealand really ought to include a tour or more of some of the wineries. I know I learned a great deal from the tours that I took.

Archived