FTTF and wheelchair asst. boarding ?

dixieva

Wondering if anyone knows the answer to this question. We want to do the FTTF if it is offered on our sailing but my older sister always gets wheelchair assistance to board the ship. She can't walk up the ramp but does fine otherwise so does not have or need her own wheelchair. A staff member brings a chair from the ship and pushes her up the ramp. We usually have to wait (not too long) because there are only so many chairs on board. So how is that going to work with the FTTF and boarding early? Will they know she has paid for FTTF and therefore have a chair waiting for her so we can board together as soon as they let us on board? Or will she still have to wait for assistance?

Thanks!

I hope someone has the answer to this. I wondered about it, too, as I also need wheelchair assistance to get on and off the ship. I'd like to get FTTF, but figured it wouldn't work with needing the assistance. Last cruise I got there fairly early, but had to wait quite a while for a wheelchair.

Wondering about this also, want to purchase FTTF but grandma will need wheel chair for the ramps.....

Do handicapped get priority boarding anyways? :confused:

plan on being there early so thinking this shouldn't be a real big issue????? :confused:

If you don't have your own wheelchair then you wait for staff to bring one for you. My sister only needs one to get up the gangway so last year we had to wait. They have a special area where you go to wait and they give out numbers so if you got number 1 then you go with the first wheelchair and so on. The wait wasn't too long. But I don't know how this is going to work with FTTF. Not much point in paying for it if we still have to wait for a wheelchair.

Wondering about this also, want to purchase FTTF but grandma will need wheel chair for the ramps.....

Do handicapped get priority boarding anyways? :confused:

plan on being there early so thinking this shouldn't be a real big issue????? :confused:

I think handicapped do get priority boarding, but it's IF they come in their own wheelchair. If they require a w/c from the ship, there is no way to have one available upon each person's immediate arrival (same as at an airport). When a w/c becomes available, they'll bring one. Carnival is willing to help families in need of assistance, but they cannot cater at a moment's notice. It's not like they get you out of the elevator, and say bye, gotta go get someone else.

I suppose this sounds kind of brash, but it's reality.Be thankful assistance is available, but you might need to wait for it if you want use of a ship's w/c.

We arranged to have a wheelchair for my grandmother in law. They were waiting for us, and rolled us past many people sneering at us right up to check-in, and right onto the ship.

Embarkation was actually faster than VIP embarkation that they launched 2 years later.

We arranged to have a wheelchair for my grandmother in law. They were waiting for us, and rolled us past many people sneering at us right up to check-in, and right onto the ship.

Embarkation was actually faster than VIP embarkation that they launched 2 years later.

You were very lucky and likely very precise on timing etc.

My statement was basically for people arriving at any old time and expecting that chair to be available. Perhaps that chair was being used at the moment of arrival on the party just before them.

You were very lucky and likely very precise on timing etc.

My statement was basically for people arriving at any old time and expecting that chair to be available. Perhaps that chair was being used at the moment of arrival on the party just before them.

Actually, the irony was that on our first VIP elligible cruise, we were on the VIP line, and the wheelchairs were being rolled up and taking precidence over us. I was actually getting PO'd. When the wheelchair line started backing up, the lady then started alternating wheelchair/VIP.

I think handicapped do get priority boarding, but it's IF they come in their own wheelchair. If they require a w/c from the ship, there is no way to have one available upon each person's immediate arrival (same as at an airport). When a w/c becomes available, they'll bring one. Carnival is willing to help families in need of assistance, but they cannot cater at a moment's notice. It's not like they get you out of the elevator, and say bye, gotta go get someone else.

In Jacksonville we also needed a wheelchair for my mother (like others needed one to get on ship & forgot to bring hers) and as long as they know ahead of time that you need assistance it will be there. We did not have to wait for a chair. When we got there we notified the people outside the terminal that we needed one (it was also noted on her paperwork). It was there very quickly and we did get priority boarding.

Do handicapped get priority boarding anyways.

FTTF is more than just priority boarding. It is also getting into your cabin early, quicker lugage delivery, priority tendering (which is good if your person needs w/c), and debarking. So, purching the FTTF would be good as your w/c person could drop off their stuff.

In Jacksonville we also needed a wheelchair for my mother (like others needed one to get on ship & forgot to bring hers) and as long as they know ahead of time that you need assistance it will be there. We did not have to wait for a chair. When we got there we notified the people outside the terminal that we needed one (it was also noted on her paperwork). It was there very quickly and we did get priority boarding.

FTTF is more than just priority boarding. It is also getting into your cabin early, quicker lugage delivery, priority tendering (which is good if your person needs w/c), and debarking. So, purching the FTTF would be good as your w/c person could drop off their stuff.

I don't dispute what you or Mr Pete say, I just think it can't move that smoothly at all times:)

Just a quick question regarding the FFTP. As I have not cruised with Carnival before I was wondering does anyone know their procedure with autism. Does that get priority boarding or will I just pray and hope they have FFTP on our ship in June.

Yes, you were lucky! We also had pre-arranged for a wheelchair for my sister. When we got inside the terminal there was a special desk with a chair for her to check in. Then we had to wait with others for a wheelchair. Others had started boarding about 10 minutes before we got a chair for her.

And I know that FTTF is more than priority boarding. But it's that perk of boarding and going right to our rooms that we like best.

Just a quick question regarding the FFTP. As I have not cruised with Carnival before I was wondering does anyone know their procedure with autism. Does that get priority boarding or will I just pray and hope they have FFTP on our ship in June.

Carnival does have special services for disabled pax. I suspect you will be able to arrange priority boarding by calling the special services desk and explaining your situation.

Autism covers so many different behavioral issues. I doubt if the dx itself will fly, but maybe.

I think handicapped do get priority boarding, but it's IF they come in their own wheelchair.

Not always. When we boarded the Dream, we didn't originally get priority boarding (my mother is in a wheelchair) - we were given number 36 and told to wait. It was only because we were looking for assistance to help push the chair and a waiter from on board came to do it - that the woman at the boarding area said for us to go ahead and board now.

If we had pushed my mother's chair ourselves, we would have waited a long time to board.

Archived