Live on Sapphire to Hawaii 2/2/13

NewPennCruiser

Hope the aloha spirit continues through the last day of your cruise!

Thank you so much for the reviews.... this is my 3rd cruise and 1st on Princess... it is also my longest... I am very excited... we will be on the cruise for both mine and my husband's birthdays...

how is the food on the ship? Shows? comedy shows?

Also... my husband and I are in our late 20's... is there ANYONE near our age on the cruise? I know it is hard to find people our age on a 2 week cruise but I am hoping there is a few at least :)

I am also very excited about cruising a new line and comparing to RCCL.... how was the formal night? -- did most people dress up!? I have 3 very formal gowns and very excited to wear them!

You may want to check your roll call as there could be different demographics on your cruise as on this one. But remember that only a small percentage of the passengers on board will be members of CC. But you may be able to find some other passengers with the same interests as you on your roll call.

It sounds like the ship has caught the Aloha Spirit. We noticed the same thing on the Golden, It must be the islands. Thanks for writing this, we will be on the Sapphire later this year and you are giving us an idea what to expect.

Aloha Kakou,

This is something that Princess has made a concerted effort to ramp up since they now have multiple ships going to Hawai'i. While each ship may offer a little variation, there is definitely a lot of aloha spirit on all the Princess ships.

Malama Pono,

Dave

(of Elua)

http://www.eluaworld.blogspot.com

Aloha Kakou,

This is something that Princess has made a concerted effort to ramp up since they now have multiple ships going to Hawai'i. While each ship may offer a little variation, there is definitely a lot of aloha spirit on all the Princess ships.

Malama Pono,

Dave

(of Elua)

http://www.eluaworld.blogspot.com

Great to have you check in Dave. I don't know if you've thought about next fall but, with the Golden going to SA will you be going too or staying with the Hawaiian runs?

. Hi I have just skimed over this thread to see if there was any report of what the internet connection cost. My SIL just phoned me wanting to know how I keep in touch at home when we are cruising. I have never been on a Princess cruise so I figured the best place for info is here.

Could some one pleas tell me if there are internet pkg's, the same as Hal. And if so what are the costs. She is sailing to Hawii and return next week, so if some one know's the answer please post it. Thanks.

Helen

. Hi I have just skimed over this thread to see if there was any report of what the internet connection cost. My SIL just phoned me wanting to know how I keep in touch at home when we are cruising. I have never been on a Princess cruise so I figured the best place for info is here.

Could some one pleas tell me if there are internet pkg's, the same as Hal. And if so what are the costs. She is sailing to Hawii and return next week, so if some one know's the answer please post it. Thanks.

Helen

You can also send free email 'postcards' to people from the computers as well. I have never used it but I have read that there is a limit of characters you can use per card, but it is at least a way to let the family know you are having the wonderful time I know you will!

There is also a 1-800 number if your family needs to get a hold of you for some reason. Leave your ship name and room number with the number for your family to use.

You can also send free email 'postcards' to people from the computers as well. I have never used it but I have read that there is a limit of characters you can use per card, but it is at least a way to let the family know you are having the wonderful time I know you will!

There is also a 1-800 number if your family needs to get a hold of you for some reason. Leave your ship name and room number with the number for your family to use.

Hi There RNGALNG,

I've sent the free email postcards from the Coral last spring. They work great, just a short cut way to stay in touch. Of course, you do have to have internet service if you want them to contact you.

Just talked to another couple that returned from the last Sapphire voyage. They said seas were better than your trip, but they still had trouble walking straight (and they are very seasoned travels).

Sure hope our trip is calm. So excited to experience what everyone else has.

Renee

If you can find Rafeeq in the Savoy, tell him Tony from the Christmas cruise says hello. His title is Food and Beverage Director or something like that. He is the BEST!!! He is from South Africa. Love the Savoy dining room. Glad you are enjoying yourself!!

If you can find Rafeeq in the Savoy, tell him Tony from the Christmas cruise says hello. His title is Food and Beverage Director or something like that. He is the BEST!!! He is from South Africa. Love the Savoy dining room. Glad you are enjoying yourself!!

He is the best and we talk every night at dinner. I'll tell him you said hello.

Wow, the sea days go by very quickly. We’ll be in Honolulu tomorrow and it seems like everyone is ready to get off the ship. Except for some passing showers this morning, the weather today was really nice. Much warmer, lots of sun. Everyone out on deck and the first day we wandered out on the promenade deck to sit and wait for the lecture and we couldn’t find a lounger…. Seems like everyone was outside today.

There were a couple of questions on entertainment. Yes there has been comedy. Carlos Oscar has been onboard and he participated in the sailaway show and was featured in the Princess Theatre for two packed shows last night. I’m not sure if he is staying on beyond Honolulu or who we might have next week. There was also a hypnotist show late last night (didn’t get a chance to see it). Tonight was Bernie Fields playing harmonica with the Princess Band which was a great show and other than the production show one evening, we have seen Heather Sullivan do a cabaret style show which was also very good. All of that has been in the Princess Theatre while there has been dancing in Wheelhouse and Explorers Lounge every night. Lots to do and all quite good.

I really haven’t commented on food because it is just something that is very subjective and different for everyone. For what it’s worth, I don’t expect 5 star dining all the time because let’s be real, this is Princess, not Regent or Crystal and they are cooking for a lot of people. Every meal is not going to be perfect but I will say for the most part we have been impressed and I would say everything has been very good to excellent. Since we’re in a suite, we’ve had breakfast in Sabatini’s every morning and that has been 5 star all the way. I already have talked about the great service in Savoy and the meals have been great. We also tried Sabatini’s and Sterling for dinner, both excellent. Alfredo’s pizza is also great (adding to the tradition of fantastic Princess pizza) and International Café has a lot of good choices as well. I can honestly say we haven’t spent too much time in Horizon Court yet (although hoping they do German Night) but I like the way they changed the layout with the drydock last year. Makes it easier to get around.

And to WifeOfaBish…..you will not be the only one in their 20s. Will you greatly bring the age curve down? Definitely! But I can honestly say there is a wide mix of ages, as usual skewing more toward the 60 to 80 range. I just turned 50 and thought I would be bringing the curve down and there are many who appear younger than I am. As for formal night, bring it and deck yourself out. I was surprised at how formal most really were. We actually didn’t bring formal wear this trip and ate dinner in Sterlings that night but walking back from dinner we saw many tuxes and a lot of gowns. It also seemed like most of the ship really decked themselves out so just go for it. You’ll love it. Of course the whole dynamic might change on the next cruise.

And to JWJs, will look for Francisco next time at the Piazza Bar and will say hello.

Until Later..... Dave

Thanks again for your posts. Great job! A group called Super Fly was also on our trans Atlantic cruise in Sept ...we really enjoyed them. I wonder if Super Fly on your cruise is the same group. Ours was led by a female singer with red hair with 3 other males singing and playing instruments. All were very good singers/performers. If they are the same group, I hope they will be playing on the 23 Feb cruise.

Hi There RNGALNG,

I've sent the free email postcards from the Coral last spring. They work great, just a short cut way to stay in touch. Of course, you do have to have internet service if you want them to contact you.

Just talked to another couple that returned from the last Sapphire voyage. They said seas were better than your trip, but they still had trouble walking straight (and they are very seasoned travels).

Sure hope our trip is calm. So excited to experience what everyone else has.

Renee

This reviewers comment tell me that they are having MUCH better weather than we did! We couldn't go outside until we got to Hawaii! Just too cold and rainy!!! And the seas seem to be calmer as well. One just count on Mother nature to give you your 'dream' weather on a cruise. So, you make the best of it and enjoy what you have.

So, Renee, you haven't been on this voyage? I would have assumed that you had! I too wish for your cruise to be as warm and joyful as this one seems to be going! Can't wait to read your 'live from' when you are onboard!

NewPennCruiser: What did you think of the way Sterling is laid out? We didn't go this last time as it seemed sad that it was tucked in the back of the buffet area. Did you feel that the atmosphere still lent itself to be the fancy steak place that most are other other ships?

Still enjoying what you have to say about this wonderful ship.

Great to have you check in Dave. I don't know if you've thought about next fall but, with the Golden going to SA will you be going too or staying with the Hawaiian runs?

Aloha,

We have been told by Princess that we can expect to be over on the Star Princess in the fall. The Star will be taking over the "full time" Hawaii run so we will be running the program on there. On a side note, the Hawaii run will now be back to 15 days, but with an additional sea day and a full day in Ensenada. One more day to uke/hula/lei make I guess. :)

A Hui Hou,

Dave

(Of Elua)

http://eluaworld.blogspot.com

Aloha,

We have been told by Princess that we can expect to be over on the Star Princess in the fall. The Star will be taking over the "full time" Hawaii run so we will be running the program on there. On a side note, the Hawaii run will now be back to 15 days, but with an additional sea day and a full day in Ensenada. One more day to uke/hula/lei make I guess. :)

A Hui Hou,

Dave

(Of Elua)

http://eluaworld.blogspot.com

Thanks Dave. I guess we'll have to book a cruise on the Star, haven't been on her yet.

Thanks again for your posts. Great job! A group called Super Fly was also on our trans Atlantic cruise in Sept ...we really enjoyed them. I wonder if Super Fly on your cruise is the same group. Ours was led by a female singer with red hair with 3 other males singing and playing instruments. All were very good singers/performers. If they are the same group, I hope they will be playing on the 23 Feb cruise.

Sounds like the same group. They will be playing at the deck party tonight as we sail away from Honolulu. Dave

NewPennCruiser: What did you think of the way Sterling is laid out? We didn't go this last time as it seemed sad that it was tucked in the back of the buffet area. Did you feel that the atmosphere still lent itself to be the fancy steak place that most are other other ships?

Still enjoying what you have to say about this wonderful ship.

We have tried Sterling on 2 different cruises, both on Sapphire and we have eaten at Crown Grill 2 times on different ships. I have enjoyed my meals at Sterling much more. Food and service were both better and maybe it was the luck of the draw. And they really separate it well so that it doesn't seem like you're sitting behind the buffet. It really doesn't sound like it would work but I think it does. Dave

Hopefully your bucket list expands more than cruise ship entertainment. :eek:

Actually, it doesn't take much to entertain us on the ship... usually my IPad, IPod and earbuds for starters... and then the grill and pizza bar... and of course, just watching the ocean is about all the entertainment I need

Sounds like the same group. They will be playing at the deck party tonight as we sail away from Honolulu. Dave

It will be interesting to see what kind of "Sail Away" party you have. Two years ago on the Golden, there was a nice buffet around the pool during the sail away party. Last fall, also on the Golden, there was just music... but no food.

It will be interesting to see what kind of "Sail Away" party you have. Two years ago on the Golden, there was a nice buffet around the pool during the sail away party. Last fall, also on the Golden, there was just music... but no food.

Pretty much the same as your last cruise on Golden. Music but no food around the pool. Dave

Things were quiet in the dining room tonight with so many people out and about. Our entire section was empty so we talked a lot with the staff. Rafeeq spent some time with us as well and he laughed a lot when I said you mentioned his name.....said he had a lot of fun with you and your family. Also said he has been trying to hook up on Facebook and you guys might be on the same trip in the future on the Caribbean. We also realized tonight that Ronni our waiter's assistant in the dining room was the "cookie, cookie, cookie" guy three years ago on the Crown in the Int'l Cafe. All of a sudden it just clicked that we knew him from a previous cruise. He would bring out warm cookies to the Piazza every afternoon and people would attack him. It's a small world.

Archived