Live on Sapphire to Hawaii 2/2/13

NewPennCruiser

:D

I wanted to make a quick correction to something I stated earlier about ashtrays and smoking. I just noticed today that there are ashtrays on the starboard side of the promenade deck. Didn't realize it until now but I guess you can smoke out there. Dave
thanks for looking .. have been enjoying your report have fun in the islands

Been busy since we hit land so I'll try to quickly catch up. Weather has been perfect with some passing showers in Honolulu yesterday but no sign of rain in Maui. We docked at Aloha Tower yesterday so it was convenient to Gordon Biersch (love their beer!) and running up a couple of blocks to catch the bus to Waikiki. We just ran around and were exhausted by end of day. Talking to folks who do excursions it sounded like they were all happy. If you are coming and have never been to Pearl Harbor, it is a must visit whether you do it on your own or as an excursion. One of our highlights was running across a concert in Waikiki by the Royal Hawaiian Band. It was a nice surprise.

The ultimate deck party was later last night and sail away with views of Waikiki was beautiful. I would also suggest getting up early if you can as you sail into Oahu. We rounded Diamondhead around 6am and there was a stunning crescent moon with lots of stars. Waikiki was starting to wake and sunrise was just starting over the mountains. Very beautiful and peaceful to see.

Many have suggested that you make sure you catch the hula school kids in Honolulu when they do their evening shows in the Princess Theatre. I second that.... The show was awesome and the kids were amazing. They did shows at 7 and 8:30. Try to see them if you are back on ship. We actually pulled away from Aloha Tower a little early and were on our way to Maui.

I'll report more on Maui later. We are going to head out on deck because the naturalist is going to start talking about whales up on deck 15 at 5:00. We saw whales off our balcony immediately as we pulled into Lahaina today. They are everywhere around Maui right now. Until later. Dave

It will be interesting to see what kind of "Sail Away" party you have. Two years ago on the Golden, there was a nice buffet around the pool during the sail away party. Last fall, also on the Golden, there was just music... but no food.

There was many tables with an elaborate spread (desserts, mostly) during the Ultimate Deck Party on our December 2010 cruise on the Golden. Two years later on the same ship, no food. But you can always go to the International Cafe (or the Horizon Court, which would still be open) to get desserts, if you wish.

Been busy since we hit land so I'll try to quickly catch up. Weather has been perfect with some passing showers in Honolulu yesterday but no sign of rain in Maui. We docked at Aloha Tower yesterday so it was convenient to Gordon Biersch (love their beer!) and running up a couple of blocks to catch the bus to Waikiki. We just ran around and were exhausted by end of day. Talking to folks who do excursions it sounded like they were all happy. If you are coming and have never been to Pearl Harbor, it is a must visit whether you do it on your own or as an excursion. One of our highlights was running across a concert in Waikiki by the Royal Hawaiian Band. It was a nice surprise.

The ultimate deck party was later last night and sail away with views of Waikiki was beautiful. I would also suggest getting up early if you can as you sail into Oahu. We rounded Diamondhead around 6am and there was a stunning crescent moon with lots of stars. Waikiki was starting to wake and sunrise was just starting over the mountains. Very beautiful and peaceful to see.

Many have suggested that you make sure you catch the hula school kids in Honolulu when they do their evening shows in the Princess Theatre. I second that.... The show was awesome and the kids were amazing. They did shows at 7 and 8:30. Try to see them if you are back on ship. We actually pulled away from Aloha Tower a little early and were on our way to Maui.

I'll report more on Maui later. We are going to head out on deck because the naturalist is going to start talking about whales up on deck 15 at 5:00. We saw whales off our balcony immediately as we pulled into Lahaina today. They are everywhere around Maui right now. Until later. Dave

Would be interested in what your suggestions are for things to do in Maui.

Anyone comment on which ship excursions were good?

Dave:

Enjoying your "live" review thanks for doing it! Your not missing much here in the "burgh" although today the sun is shining which is a plus temps in the 30s!!

I'm interested in Kauai. We did Hawaii in '07 but didn't go to Kauai. Thinking of returning in '14 on the Grand to celebrate our 50th ann!!

Enjoy your day and thanks again for posting.

Carol

Dave;

Thanks again for your continued reports. Enjoy the rest of your day.....:):):)

Bob

Very Kewl updates!

For those that have a smaller laptop that are considering bringing it on board, as well as going 'online' on the ship.....We bring our laptop with us on our cruises (I use some of my free time to organize my pics, play games etc on it too). I like to type up reviews as I get the 'free time' on my word program while at sea to post after I get home.... but.... I might do this live also instead! Typing the info up on my Word program ahead of time (we prepare our emails this way ahead of time also) saves precious moments online and not having to wait/use the ship computers.

Still any word on bringing wine on at port?

Thanks again Dave, nice updates :)

Things were quiet in the dining room tonight with so many people out and about. Our entire section was empty so we talked a lot with the staff. Rafeeq spent some time with us as well and he laughed a lot when I said you mentioned his name.....said he had a lot of fun with you and your family. Also said he has been trying to hook up on Facebook and you guys might be on the same trip in the future on the Caribbean. We also realized tonight that Ronni our waiter's assistant in the dining room was the "cookie, cookie, cookie" guy three years ago on the Crown in the Int'l Cafe. All of a sudden it just clicked that we knew him from a previous cruise. He would bring out warm cookies to the Piazza every afternoon and people would attack him. It's a small world.

We were on the cruise just before yours and Rafeeq was in the Savoy room as well. He was the best as others have said. He would always come over to our table each night and kid around with us and really made us feel welcome at dinner. If you happen to see him again you can tell him the 4 people at table 208 from the last cruise said he was the best and that we hope to sail with him again someday.

Jasper and Rommel in the Savoy room were are waiters and they were one of the best waiter teams we have had in our 8 cruises with Princess. Glad to hear everything is going so good. We had a great time and noticed that all the staff had an upbeat attitude and made the trip really enjoyable.

IPads did not work on the Star in September

I have a first gen I-Pad. I was constantly getting kicked off even while sitting right outside the internet cafe (Ruby 2011). Probably not gonna take it next month on the Sapphire. DW may take the mini I got her for Christmas.....:):):)

Bob

Dave!

We do have a question....

-Ray is doing the Trivia on our cruise

-I am doing Liverpool on our cruise(this is not Princess scheduled, but we have a designated time)

-we both want to do the Ukulele Lessons!

Q..What time is/are the Trivia opportunities scheduled (probably twice a day?)

Q..What time is the Ukulele class scheduled now(our last cruise was 11am)???

Thanks, Thanks, Thanks! I will reciprocate by doing a 'live' post as you are now to help others also! :)

Dave!

We do have a question....

-Ray is doing the Trivia on our cruise

-I am doing Liverpool on our cruise(this is not Princess scheduled, but we have a designated time)

-we both want to do the Ukulele Lessons!

Q..What time is/are the Trivia opportunities scheduled (probably twice a day?)

Q..What time is the Ukulele class scheduled now(our last cruise was 11am)???

Thanks, Thanks, Thanks! I will reciprocate by doing a 'live' post as you are now to help others also! :)

Trivia seems to scheduled mostly 3 times a day. Mid/late morning, then afternoon around 4:15/4:30. Then on most days there is an evening trivia around 8:30.

Ukulele lessons were given Monday at 1 and 3, then Tuesday at 1 and 3 and finally Wednesday at 1. I'll let you know if there is anyone scheduled for the retune trip once we leave Hilo.

Would be interested in what your suggestions are for things to do in Maui.

Anyone comment on which ship excursions were good?

Maui is all about the whales. They were everywhere, just amazing. Many whale watching excursions were sold out, but it is the prime focus there. There are many people vacationing in Lahaina to see the whales as well so the ship will not be the only game in town. There were excursions available from the dock. Talking to a friend on the ship, they did an independent excursion with a small zodiac boat and she showed me amazing pics of a 35 foot whale that just hung out with them for 2 hours. Lahaina is a nice town to explore as well if you're up for some walking.

Thanks Dave,

Another question.... regarding wine!

Can you enquire to what the wine packages are currently on that cruise?

-what is the cost and how many bottles in the package

-are there wine special packages that are offered during the cruise or are all the same price throughout the cruise?

I'm guessing there are a couple of different levels (less expensive vs the higher end wines)

:)

Maui is all about the whales. They were everywhere, just amazing. Many whale watching excursions were sold out, but it is the prime focus there. There are many people vacationing in Lahaina to see the whales as well so the ship will not be the only game in town. There were excursions available from the dock. Talking to a friend on the ship, they did an independent excursion with a small zodiac boat and she showed me amazing pics of a 35 foot whale that just hung out with them for 2 hours. Lahaina is a nice town to explore as well if you're up for some walking.

Oh thanks so much for this post! :) That's our plan for Maui....a whale watch excursion.:) I'm so encouraged. I would be ecstatic to be on a whale watch with a 35 foot whale just hanging out with the boat for a couple of hours! In the past, we have picked up a whale watch excursion at the dock. Also...in the past we have not been in Maui at peak whale season. Do you know if she booked her independent excursion on-line or just picked it up at the dock? Guess I'm going to bring my full Nikon gear on the 2/23 Sapphire/Hawaii cruise...I WAS just going to try bringing a little Sony point & shoot until this post of yours!:)

Thanks Dave,

Another question.... regarding wine!

Can you enquire to what the wine packages are currently on that cruise?

-what is the cost and how many bottles in the package

-are there wine special packages that are offered during the cruise or are all the same price throughout the cruise?

I'm guessing there are a couple of different levels (less expensive vs the higher end wines)

:)

Also interested

Archived