RIP Carnival Destiny!

paquebottitanic

Today Carnival Destiny sails on her final voyage, to be torn apart, and will return to New Orleans in the spring as a Frankenstein version of a ship. Called the "Death Star" by crew, this breakdown-prone ship is nonetheless an iconic piece of shipping history: she's the first ship larger than 100,000 gross tons, and the first ship ever built bigger than the venerable old Queen Elizabeth of 1940.

(photo by me, February 2012)

Destiny2.jpg.d41bbcf1be47331a9a1d7ebbaecfb1d9.jpg

I was on the Destiny in 2008, and it was the worst cruise ship ever... They were repairing and modifying it while at sea.. Shipping containers all over the decks, carpets ripped up, cords and cables everywhere... The HORRIBLE garbage smell in the lower several decks. A/C kept cutting out. It was just plain bad.

The ports were incredible, but we dreaded going back to the ship.

I hope it gets better with this mod.

Was on her on my last cruise. That was a tired looking gal. You could just tell that they had let some little things go, due to the fact that it was being dry docked. Didn't ruin my time, but without question, the most underwhelming ship my wife and I had cruised with Carnival.

Today Carnival Destiny sails on her final voyage, to be torn apart, and will return to New Orleans in the spring as a Frankenstein version of a ship. Called the "Death Star" by crew, this breakdown-prone ship is nonetheless an iconic piece of shipping history: she's the first ship larger than 100,000 gross tons, and the first ship ever built bigger than the venerable old Queen Elizabeth of 1940.

So you would prefer to leave her just like she is. Dated and ugly? I'm looking forward to the new look.

There is nothing wrong with the new look but why change her name?

I love reading about maritime history. Even royal caribiean has done it. Heard of Nordic Empress well she retired as Empress of the seas. NCL Norwegian Sky changed to Pride of Aloha, Pride of Hawaii changed to Norwegian Jade, just to mention a few. This doesn't count the countless ships over the centuries that have went from one line to another and was renamed. Carnivals first three ships were old liners bought and refurbished. Those three were renamed and were very successful for carnival. If they weren't we wouldn't be having this conversation lol

And the good news is they removed the theater and two lounges so they could put more cabins in. You get the chance to meet 400 more people!

We went on the Destiny afew years ago on our one (and so far only) cruise and loved it. I honestly didn't think there was anything wrong with it. But if you guys are all saying that its a heap, then I guess I will be blown away by the Splendor.

Our cruise on Destiny was our second, and probably best, cruise among the seven we've taken so far. But we cruise primarily for the destinations and we loved the itinerary, so that was a big factor. I don't recall the ship being in bad shape at that time (in 2007).

Looking forward to her return as "Sunshine"...We bypassed a final cruise on Conquest out of NOLA this year for a spot on the Nov. 18 US inaugural. With as much hype and $$$ Carnival is putting on this refurb I can't see them letting it fail.

I have been on a few cruises and I must say The Destiny holds a special place in my heart as the first cruise I took with my wife and son. Our cabin was one that was recently renovated and was fantastic the service was great in the MDR and everyone on board was friendly. The ship was clean and there were no strange oders anywhere to be found and we had a blast.

Sad to see they changed the name.

Was on her on my last cruise. That was a tired looking gal. You could just tell that they had let some little things go, due to the fact that it was being dry docked. Didn't ruin my time, but without question, the most underwhelming ship my wife and I had cruised with Carnival.

DH and I thought that the Inspiration was the worst ever ship we have sailed on with Carnival. Never cruised on the Destiny, and I suspect the Inspiration should be headed to the scrap yard as well.

My son and daughter in law (to be) just boarded for 6 week European trip, they are in their 20's and they just told us they are the youngest, by far, on the ship and that the ship is a joke.

Having cruised before they consider this the worst cruise ship imaginable...

Their fault I suppose, if it had been me going I would have known in advance not to take this ship...

Oh well, hope all goes well.

My son and daughter in law (to be) just boarded for 6 week European trip, they are in their 20's and they just told us they are the youngest, by far, on the ship and that the ship is a joke.

Having cruised before they consider this the worst cruise ship imaginable...

Their fault I suppose, if it had been me going I would have known in advance not to take this ship...

Oh well, hope all goes well.

I hope they make it to Europe...our 2010 vacation was a victim of the Destiny's "propulsion issues" and we were basically tugged from Nassau back to Miami...worst cruise ever.

Destiny was the last Carnival ship I was on. The crowds, poor service and overall experience have tarnished my image of Carnival and now I can't imagine putting more cabins on it, and removing the public areas will somehow make the ship better. You can clean it up, but it will still be the same old ship.

I don't know how to copy/paste an image directly into the body of the post anymore because I'm on a Mac now and the old way I used to do it when on a PC isn't working for me anymore. :( But I have attached a pic of the suite we had on Destiny back in 2008.

I'm truly saddened to read so many posts about how they seem to have let this ship go. It's a shame if they did this based upon the fact that they were going to do a complete overhaul of it because the bottom line is, if they were still going to keep it in service (which they did), and still keep selling sailings on her (which they did), they owed it to those guests to keep her "up," so I'm a bit disappointed to hear this.

It wasn't always this way though. When I sailed her in 2008 she was a very beautiful ship and the suite we had was S W E E T. I am now more happy than ever that I have these pictures as they will never again be capable of a repeat.

995029340_DSC00433Destiny1.jpg.0f45848050f8a2f3eb91dd486a4f5be1.jpg

1901207314_DSC00430Destiny2.jpg.6694d5e7b6405dd5cb81aa2b6d1559ac.jpg

We were on the Elation Saturday. We were docked in Cozumel. And I was very surprised to look out the window and see the Destiny pulling up next to us. I was excited to get photos of her on her last trip.

We were on the Conquest last year, the last trip before drydock, and can't wait to see the new Conquest. We have that booked for November, right before she relocates to Miami.

I will be booking a Sunshine cruise for early next year. As much as I love Carnival, I will certainly be glad to see a color scheme other than orange/pink. Since I travel out of NEw Orleans, that has been all I have seen!

As far as names, Not sure why they feel the need to change. Sunshine sounds a little too perky. But I would sail on it, no matter what the name. (Except possibly Titanic)_

Archived