Big help for saving money

We play a lot of cards so we only look for decks of cards as souvenirs. They are inexpensive and easy to pack.

We buy postcards to mail to ourselves if we can and/or to tape in the journal I write daily on our trips.

Another favorite souvenir is the cardboard coaster many bars provide with your drink. These can usually be taken free of charge as a souvenir, or for a very low price.

Unless someone asks for something in particular I don't buy them anything. One year our then 3 year old granddaughter asked me to bring her a rubber ducky! Well I wasn't going to spend $7 on one in Bermuda, so Walmart came to the rescue:D

• 2 months later...

I used to buy beach towels. I never used them. Was it here that someone said they buy kitchen towels and use them all the time? I think that's a great idea! I wish I had thought of that.

I sometimes check out the local thrift store, and may bring some "disposable" outfits to wear on my cruise (i.e. good enough to be seen in, but cheap enough be left behind to make room in my suitcase for the trip home).

When I am at the thrift stores, I see myriads of souvenirs that have been discarded. I especially get get a chuckle out of the Disney stuff I see that is marked $.50-$1.50 that I know they were $50 or more at the Disney store. I could easily buy $25 of tshirts, embroidered logo wear, fanny packs, glassware and knick knacks from the thrift store and make it look like I have been an avid travel for years and years.

The good thing is when I see similar stuff at a tourist trap, I look at the price, giggle as I picture it on a thrift store shelf, That makes it easy to move on.

I just want to "buy" time and experiences on my upcoming cruise!

I collect plates of different sizes, shapes, design n color. Those plates that have a map of the island/country that can be hung on the wall or put on a stand. Love those.

I bought soccer shirts for my two soccer-playing nephews. OK, they were 4 and 5 at the time, but still . . .

And any kids will LOVE the foreign coins (as long as they're old enough not to swallow them).

Then a friend asked for a keychain! And another collects pins from Hard Rock Cafe and wants one from every cafe.

For the grandkids (all 2 of them) I try to find something collectible - a doll for my GD, and animal or such for GS. They get one per trip, not per port. We lucked out in Hawaii - all the shell and kukui nut leis we got for free at various places sufficed for them. I don't go crazy looking, but if I find something suitable, great. The adult kids might get a framed photo that I've taken myself, unless I find an art print by a local artist. Those are easy to pack!

I don't generally look for souvenirs for myself, but if I do buy, it has to be something made locally - not something made elsewhere and stamped with a locale name. I bought Argan Oil at the factory store in Morocco, for example, and a lithograph done by an artist in Madeira.

If we had someone who collected shot glasses or spoons or whatever, we'd buy those for them, but, luckily, we don't.

I bring back a small stone of every country I visit. No cost at all.

That is a great idea.

We usually try to bring home a small bit of sand from different beaches we visit. And empty soda/water bottle full of sand is more than plenty.

I once knew a fellow that collected water from different rivers he had visited. That is where I got the idea about sand from beaches.

Brilliant idea on the "disposable" outfits!!!

I sometimes check out the local thrift store, and may bring some "disposable" outfits to wear on my cruise (i.e. good enough to be seen in, but cheap enough be left behind to make room in my suitcase for the trip home).

When I am at the thrift stores, I see myriads of souvenirs that have been discarded. I especially get get a chuckle out of the Disney stuff I see that is marked $.50-$1.50 that I know they were $50 or more at the Disney store. I could easily buy $25 of tshirts, embroidered logo wear, fanny packs, glassware and knick knacks from the thrift store and make it look like I have been an avid travel for years and years.

The good thing is when I see similar stuff at a tourist trap, I look at the price, giggle as I picture it on a thrift store shelf, That makes it easy to move on.

I just want to "buy" time and experiences on my upcoming cruise!

I collect plates of different sizes, shapes, design n color. Those plates that have a map of the island/country that can be hung on the wall or put on a stand. Love those.

As an avid reader and hauling books around the world (before Kindle) I would get book marks, keep really interesting attraction tickets or a postcard of art work. Besides being cheap they weigh nothing and sometimes would pass them on to other avid readers. Sad news is the Kindle has erased that...but still have a few dozen of them.

K

I am surprised no one has mentioned magnets. I like magnets and occasionally really nice keychains. In Rome I found some nice Murano type necklaces that went over well. In Budapest there were some pretty pashmina scarves on Vaci Utca (probably from India) that also were big hits.

I like pens. I always need to write something....and pens always wear out, so it's not like they're going to sit around for years and years collecting dust......

(refrig. magnets, too....with kids, there's always something that needs to be hung up)

As an avid reader and hauling books around the world (before Kindle) I would get book marks, keep really interesting attraction tickets or a postcard of art work. Besides being cheap they weigh nothing and sometimes would pass them on to other avid readers. Sad news is the Kindle has erased that...but still have a few dozen of them.

K

Great idea. I used to have tons of bookmarks and still come across them from time to time in a book that I am rereading ( even though I have fewer real books since the Kindle). They are great triggers for fond memories.

• 3 weeks later...

We've been collecting absolutely gorgeous stamps from many cruise stops.

Many of them have beautiful sea life on them. They are not expensive and they are easy to transport. We love them!

We also collect beach towels from all the ports. We live in So Cal near the ocean so they get great use. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

For ourselves, we buy small apothecary jars for each our our trips. In them I place a little sand, the shells or stones we find, and all the little "freebie" gem stones and charms that some of the ports give you. Then I tie a small tag on the jar with the places and dates we visited. It makes for a nice display and conversation piece.

For family, we ask them if they want something specific. My MIL always wants a christmas ornament. If they don't want anything we don't worry about it.

We like to buy clothing (dresses for my dear wife - and I like caps, t-shirts, and nice Hawaiian type shirts) We only buy a few of each item, and we also like to buy a small gift for our son/wife & two grandsons (toy each) - so it doesn't take up too much luggage space.

We both take one soft luggage bag each, for our holiday clothing (we travel lightly) and we always have space for presents for those back home.

We don't take beach towels - we buy them in Hawaii (nice momento) also I like to buy Duke's caps & t-shirts in Waikiki for myself & my son (he will wear them to death)

From our last trip we have $1,000 USD's still on hand, to spend in Hawaii. That will be on clothing, caps, dresses, drinks in Waikiki, and perhaps a few swanky lunches, at Moana Surfrider, Royal Hawaiian or Halekulani. We will also use some of the money for SUPB rental (our hobby here in Australia)

We also have XPF's & Fijian Dollars on hand, so it should help in Tahiti & Noumea, as well Suva.

As they say in Fiji - "Ni Sum Bula"

• 4 weeks later...

We live in an Art Deco house so in Europe in particular we'll look for vintage style postcards to frame... We've bought beautiful ones in Italy, Monaco, France and Florida.

I also like a bit of cheap local jewellery. Makes me feel happy whenever I wear my little turtle anklet from st lucia

The only people we buy gifts for is the neighbours who care for our cat when we are away.

Archived