Things to do in Costa Maya and Belize

buckeyefan10

I'm looking for some recommendations for things to do in Costa Maya and Belize. Restaurants, beaches, shopping within walking distance of the port. Is it safe to walk around in Belize? The last time we were in Belize we didn't get off the ship which was nice but I'd kinds like to do something. I would do cave tubing but I'm afraid the water would be to cold. Any advise would be appreciated.

In Costa Maya there is a beach right off the pier. We love going there because you don't have to pay for chairs or umbrellas. It is right in front of a pool. You will get offered to buy food from the restaurant but you don't have to buy anything. However, the food is really good. We have done cave tubing in Belize before. The water really isn't bad. There are shops you can visit in Belize as well. That is what we usually do when we go there. Once you've done cave tubing you don't have to do it again.

If you want a relaxing beach break in Costa Maya go to the Tropicante in Mahahual. Email Steve at steveuhl@sandalsandskis.com. He will reserve lounge chairs on the beach for you for free. He has great food and drinks at very reasonable prices. $25 hour long massages on the beach. He has free WiFi and you can use his phone to call the states for free. It's just $2 per person each way for a cab ride there. It was my favorite day of our last cruise!

We booked cave tubing with VIV tours in Belize. They were fantastic-great guides, beautiful scenery and a fun adventure. Great value over the cave tubing trip thru the cruise line.

I second this recommendation. The water was "refreshing" in March but comfortable after the first 60 seconds :) We loved the Dream but we missed CM and our day at Maya Chan.

< Edited to add: I am a wimp when it comes to swimming. Generally if it feels like bath water then its okay by me>

If you want a relaxing beach break in Costa Maya go to the Tropicante in Mahahual. Email Steve at steveuhl@sandalsandskis.com. He will reserve lounge chairs on the beach for you for free. He has great food and drinks at very reasonable prices. $25 hour long massages on the beach. He has free WiFi and you can use his phone to call the states for free. It's just $2 per person each way for a cab ride there. It was my favorite day of our last cruise!

This guy is great. Went to his place a yrs ago and he was great. Good prices and knows how to please

I second Coral Breeze Tours for Belize, we did the culinary tour and really liked it. And that's coming from a couple guys in their late 20s. Those that stayed on the boat or didn't venture past Tourism Village really missed out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm doing cave tubing in Belize with viv tours (I'm super nervous about this).

And in Costa Maya we are cabbin it to Mahahual and just going to chill for the morning. And a $25 hour long massage sound like effing paradise. Just saying.

In Costa Maya I can't recommend Maya Chan highly enough. The bus ride there wife says "I can't believe you booked this. Why would you book this?" blah blah blah

After 10 minutes at Maya Chan "this is the best place you've ever booked"

50 peopl max, open bar, kayaks, snorkeling, food, beach palapa, hammocks , what more do you need :D

I absolutely agree about Tropicante.

Our day on the beach there was probably the best beach day we've had on any of our ports. Steve was a wonderful host and his staff was great. We were four people and among us we had two buckets of beer, one pina colada, delicious freshly made guacamole and chips, salsa and chips, and the most wonderful fish ceviche. All for under $70, including tip. The sand was soft and white and the water was crystal clear down to the bottom and bathtub warm.

Unlike an all-inclusive, Steve does not charge a day usage fee. He just asks that patrons buy a drink or a snack. We made reservations for four lounge chairs and an umbrella by the water and they were ready and waiting for us upon our arrival.

I hope to go back to Costa Maya someday. We'll go right back to Tropicante.

I'm doing cave tubing in Belize with viv tours (I'm super nervous about this).

And in Costa Maya we are cabbin it to Mahahual and just going to chill for the morning. And a $25 hour long massage sound like effing paradise. Just saying.

What makes you nervous? Is it the tubing or booking with VIV specifically? Maybe I can ease your mind.

When you get to Costa Maya, walk outside the fenced-in port area down the street to the Hard Rock Cafe. (It's very safe and not far at all.) There is a taxi stand there and the taxis will take you exactly to where you want to go. The cabs inside the port compound are pricier and have only specific routes, more like buses.

What makes you nervous? Is it the tubing or booking with VIV specifically? Maybe I can ease your mind.

When you get to Costa Maya, walk outside the fenced-in port area down the street to the Hard Rock Cafe. (It's very safe and not far at all.) There is a taxi stand there and the taxis will take you exactly to where you want to go. The cabs inside the port compound are pricier and have only specific routes, more like buses.

LOL the cave tubing itself. I'm not a big nature person. I have visions of snakes in the water etc. Just ugh...*shudder* but I'm trying to live a little.

I'm gonna reward myself with a beachfront massage in Costa Maya. :D

• 1 month later...

Going to Tropicante was one of our favorite places - and it is one of the reasons I booked that same cruise again (out of Tampa instead of NOLA this time for a change) Steve is an amazing host, good food, excellent service, and the massages were the BEST ever. White sandy beach, lounging, drinking some great Mexican beer. It just doesn't get much better. That is the first place I will make reservations for our Dec. cruise coming up.

:)

Archived