Cape Town advice

ging466

Want advice from those of u who have done Cape Town prior to a SS cruise.

I will be flying into CT in February next year. I am on a very strict schedule so am wondering how many days pre-cruise to organise.

Besides Table Mountain, what are the must do things to see. I was thinking about a day tour down to Cape of Good Hope. I'm not interested in wineries.

Do u know of any relatively close-by game parks that would be worth visiting. I won't be in a position to fly to any of the big fancy ones, I just won't have enough time.

Also thinking about staying at the Table Bay Hotel where the Wind will dock right next door. Anyone stayed there?

Appreciate all help.

Cheers

Jennifer

P.S. I'm going to post this on the Sth Africa board also.

Jennifer a MUST -- at least a half day to drive down to the Cape. You'll see things, plant and animal, like nowhere else. Simply wonderful. And then the drive back on the coastal road is thrilling....

I'd go back in a minute if it wasn't so damned FAR.

Table Bay Hotel is great. Be sure that the ship is still docking at the V&A waterfront though; there was talk last year about moving all cruise ships to an industrial pier out of town. We stayed there both pre- and post-cruise in Feb/March 2011, before this issue came up. It was incredibly handy! The hotel porter wheeled our bags directly to the ship for embarkation... :)

We did one overnight before the cruise (which didn't allow any time to see any sights), and 2 nights post. Though, we had 3 full days to tour the area because we had a full day after disembarking, and our flight wasn't until after midnight on the day we left. It was enough to see highlights, but we could have spent way more time...

On disembarkation day we dropped our bags off at the hotel, and did the HOHO bus and saw most of the city's highlights. Day 2 we rented a car and drove the Cape, down to Cape Point lighthouse and back. Day 3 we went to Stellenbosch and Franschoek for a few wineries.

Stellenbosch is gorgeous in its own right, so even if you don't like wineries, it's well worth the visit.

Can't think of / don't know of any close-by game parks. We visited Spier Estates near Stellenbosch which has some animals, but nowhere near what you'll see on a game drive, plus, they're caged. We did get to pet a cheetah, though... :).

Let me know if you want more details.

Hi Jennifer

There's a link on the Silversea website (under Blog) to Aaron Saunder's report on his recent Silver Wind voyage from Cape Town. Not sure if his itinerary is anything like yours but I think his writing and photos are great so may be worth a read.

Hope this helps.

Karin

Robben Island where Nelson Mandela was held is an interesting half-day trip. The ferry can be booked on this website:

://www.robben-island.org.za/

The visit is enjoyable for the beautiful views of Table Mountain as well as from the historical point of view and the excellent guides, many of whom were politically involved in the 70's and 80's and/ or held on the island as prisoners.

Last January we stayed at the Victoria and Alfred hotel on the waterfront which we would recommend. It is a five minute taxi ride to the port where I expect you will board.

Capetown and the Western Cape area is probably the best kept secret in the world; a wonderful area with lots to see. I would allow at least 3 days pre-cruise. One day to do the V&A waterfront area, the area around the Mount Nelson hotel( museums), Table Mountain via the cable car and Camps Bay( great beach and wonderful restaurants; very Mediterranean). One day to make the circuit thru Simons Town to Boulder Beach( Cape penguins) and on to the Cape of Good Hope and back to Capetown; a full day. Many take the tour to Robben Island, but it's really a full day and not worth it IMHO( had enough of jails when I was a POW). If you don't want to do the beautiful winelands of Paar, Stellenbosch, Fransckoek and Boschendal( worth it, but it's a full day; lots of great restaurants), then I would recommend a day starting with breakfast at the gardens of Kirstenbosch( beautiful gardens when in bloom and they should be in Feb), not far from downtown. Then thru Constantia, which is like Beverly Hills( many great restaurants and some small wineries) and on to Muisenberg; then back to Capetown. There are too many wonderful restaurants around the area to even start mentioning. If you want a fantastic beach area other than Camps Bay, try Koggelbaai. The Table Bay Hotel( if you stay there plan to have dinner in their restaurant with a window table looking at Table Mountain, which they light up at night) and the Radisson are good hotels convenient to the ship. There are a few wonderful boutique hotels in Constantia( try Google for The Last Word hotels); all inclusive and they will take you on tours at a reasonable price with a professional guide. Have a great trip!

Returned from the Wind last week Capetown - Capetown. Stayed at Table Bay, The Wind Docked right behind their Breafast Buffett, only a 1 block walk to the ship. The Hotel picked up our luggae from our room and delivered it direct to the ship. Very nice Hotel, although a bit pricy, but then all the Hotels right on the Waterfront are pricy. You won't have any difficulty finding things to do in Capetown, the Hotel will provide you with many otions and they will explain in detail what to expect. We used Thompson Tours for private tours, they were prompt and great in every way, they also delivered us back to the Airport (cheaper than a Cab). RE: Safari opportunites within the same day and return. There are a number of them, the Hotel can help you with this as well, also suggest you Google the Safaris near Capetown. We did a 4 day Safari out of Johannesbury, best 4 days of my life.

Good Luck you will most definately want to return for a longer saty.

Echo all the posts on Capetown and Table Bay Hotel, its the most beautiful city and area. We did the Sanbona Game Reserve approx 3 to 4 hours drive from Capetown but I believe they do arrange transport. This is a 5 star game reserve owned by Shamwari in the Little Karoo. We stayed in the Dwyka Tented Lodges. The whole experience was amazing , the perfect compliment to a Silver Sea cruise. Pleas check out there website. www.Sanbona.com

You will not be disappointed w/your S/Africa Trip. The only downside to this adventure is the Travel time to get there. The Wind is in Great Shape, the Ports of Call are excellent, with many tour Options. Do not miss the Ado Elephant Tour. Capetown is one of the most vibrant Cities in the World We especially enjoyed the Waterfront. Rests are everywhere try the Bahai, great food, reasonable pricing. Mitchells Pub for great local beer and Pub food. You will never run out of things to do. There are local Craft Markets everywhetre, get on the Local Bus Tour, which takes you all over Capetown, get on and off. Everyone with the flair for the best in Travel should enjoy the Wind and S/Africa

You will not be disappointed w/your S/Africa Trip. The only downside to this adventure is the Travel time to get there. The Wind is in Great Shape, the Ports of Call are excellent, with many tour Options. Do not miss the Ado Elephant Tour. Capetown is one of the most vibrant Cities in the World We especially enjoyed the Waterfront. Rests are everywhere try the Bahai, great food, reasonable pricing. Mitchells Pub for great local beer and Pub food. You will never run out of things to do. There are local Craft Markets everywhetre, get on the Local Bus Tour, which takes you all over Capetown, get on and off. Everyone with the flair for the best in Travel should enjoy the Wind and S/Africa

Been there too Palomah -- totally agree with your advice -- love your enthusiastic attitude.

Are you still doing the April TA?

Want advice from those of u who have done Cape Town prior to a SS cruise.

I will be flying into CT in February next year. I am on a very strict schedule so am wondering how many days pre-cruise to organise.

Besides Table Mountain, what are the must do things to see. I was thinking about a day tour down to Cape of Good Hope. I'm not interested in wineries.

Do u know of any relatively close-by game parks that would be worth visiting. I won't be in a position to fly to any of the big fancy ones, I just won't have enough time.

Hi Jennifer

For a short stay in Cape town - say three or four days - you MUST do the HOHO - It is probably one of the best in the world and leaves from the V&A.

Get the two day pass - on one of the loops the driver rings ahead for a 'township' stop and tour - you are met at the bus stop and have a free tour with a local - so safe and interesting. The other loop does gorgeous scenic drive along the coast line with all the amazing mountains. The two day ticket also has a sunset bus trip, we took a picnic up to the hill - its just a there and back again attachment to the ticket. For Table mountain - don't plan a particular day - weather is important - instead get up early each day and if its clear - GO STRAIGHT AWAY.

Agree that stellenbosch is interesting - the Cape is Great We saw lots animals on the way as well as the penguins sanctuary - that was great!

And a trip to Robbin Island is Excellent - its very moving and part of the world's very recent history.

If you decide on extra time in South Africa I can recommend MAKUTSI SPRINGS as a very affordable and fantastic game park - google them and see what I mean - but you will need extra time for that 10+ days

Gerry

The only downside to this adventure is the Travel time to get there.

Thankx for the advice palamoh.

Travel time is not a problem for me. I live in Australia so nothing is close to me (except New Zealand):D

Cheers

Jennifer

For Table mountain - don't plan a particular day - weather is important - instead get up early each day and if its clear - GO STRAIGHT AWAY.

If you decide on extra time in South Africa I can recommend MAKUTSI SPRINGS as a very affordable and fantastic game park - google them and see what I mean - but you will need extra time for that 10+ days

Gerry

Gerry, thankx for this info about Table Mountain.

I wish I had more time to go to one of the bigger game parks but alas, I don't so I'm looking at the other suggestion, Sanbona, as it's driving distance from CT.

Cheers

Jennifer

Dusababy - Yes we will be on the Cloud for the April 22nd TA. Hope to meet you on board.

This has been a most interesting thread, before we left on the Wind for our South African adventure, we could not bring up one Cruise Critic member on our Jan 5th departure from Capetown. This is one of the most fabulous Cruises we have ever done on SS. Everyone on Board we talked to agreed they have never been so happy with a SS Itinerary as this one.

Maybe some of you who are thinking of a future Cruise with SS will set your Sails on this one, you will not be disappointed

Archived