What to do in Dominica

Cruise Raider

We were in Dominica a couple of years ago and while we had a blast on our river tubing and waterfalls tour, the river they chose for the tubing seemed to be on the other side of the island and we spent hours and hours in the van on very windy roads. It was so hot and sticky in the van that we wondered if it was really worth it for the hour of adventure that we signed up for.

Fast forward a couple of years -- I am planning a trip for my DH 60th birthday. He only knows it is a cruise, so he cannot be of any help, as the rest of it is a surprise. I booked the whale and dolphin watching excursion for Dominica -- which is on his actual birthday. However, I have read many reviews that it is the worst excursion ever -- very boring for many. I did see a couple of positive reviews but mostly they were 'didn't see anything and the water was so choppy that passengers were getting sea sick'. That would be horrible.

I was wondering what tour in Dominca did others enjoy a lot that didn't require a lot of driving time (an hour or so total is ok) and was unique to the island. I am definitely canceling the whale and dolphin watching unless there is a strong argument that can be presented in its favor.

I have recently had knee surgery so am able to swim but not a lot of hiking on slippery rocks or uneven turrain. With having been there before, I don't think it is a place we would enjoy just putting around through the little shacks that sell their wares by the pier.

I have read some good things about Champange Beach -- is this a good option and does anyone have any advice on better tours while on this island? thanks so much in advance

:confused:

I'm with you. Our entire cc group loved screw spa. We were supposed to do river tubing first but it got canceled due to rough conditions. The ship excursion for river tubing went on as scheduled and many passengers arrived back with a lot of cuts, scrapes and bruises.

Did you go to Screw Spa on your own, or through the cruise line? If on your own, how did you get there?

We booked a tour company online. They weren't,t the best. It cost $10 to get in. I'm sure you could get a taxi there right at the pier. Also just google screw spa Dominica excursions.

• 2 months later...
Fast forward a couple of years -- I am planning a trip for my DH 60th birthday. He only knows it is a cruise, so he cannot be of any help, as the rest of it is a surprise. I booked the whale and dolphin watching excursion for Dominica -- which is on his actual birthday. However, I have read many reviews that it is the worst excursion ever -- very boring for many. I did see a couple of positive reviews but mostly they were 'didn't see anything and the water was so choppy that passengers were getting sea sick'. That would be horrible.

I was wondering what tour in Dominca did others enjoy a lot that didn't require a lot of driving time (an hour or so total is ok) and was unique to the island. I am definitely canceling the whale and dolphin watching unless there is a strong argument that can be presented in its favor.

I have recently had knee surgery so am able to swim but not a lot of hiking on slippery rocks or uneven turrain. With having been there before, I don't think it is a place we would enjoy just putting around through the little shacks that sell their wares by the pier.

I have read some good things about Champange Beach -- is this a good option and does anyone have any advice on better tours while on this island? thanks so much in advance

:confused:

i don't know if you have already been to dominica by this time, but i'll agree with the others that screw's would be great (but there are a lot of stairs to think about if you are having trouble with those and your knee). the spa would feel great on your knee, by the way.

another idea for snorkeling (if you have your own equipment) is to go all the way down to scotts head. it is quite a bit further to drive, but there is easy access to water, and the snorkeling is pretty good. there is a nice dropoff not too far from shore.

Archived