Senior Officers' Party on QE2

gingernut9999

On the QE2 last Oct they had one of the Seniors Officers Party (Engineer) at the Funnel bar with around 30 people and the Hotel Managers in the Yacht club, it was nice to be on deck as we cruised the Med. When l first started cruising a number of years ago the Wardroom invite was a joy to find under the door (and still is) then there seemed to be a stage when it was moved to the boardroom with all the celebs, the officers quarters always seem more relaxed (or is it the drink?) Guess it wont be long before they are held in the Queens room with the numbers, or they might still decide to keep the numbers smaller?

cheers

Myles

(hope this finds you well Colin and eagerly awaiting your next voyage !!!!)

During a crossing on the QE2 in 2003, I attended the Senior Officer's Party in the Boardroom. We recently returned home from the QE2's Norwegian Wonders cruise that departed Southampton on May 21. During this cruise, we attended the Senior Officers' Party in the Yacht Club. Both parties were very nice.

On the QM2 the following were invited to the Senior Officers Party which was held in the Queens Room last time I attended Nov 2004:

Passengers invited to the Captain's Table

Queen's Grill Passengers

Those specially invited by the Captain, Social Hostess or Captain's Secretary

World Club Platinum Members

Iced Vodka (shot glasses of vodka dug into ice). Much caviar. Chilled Prawns and other assorted seafood and the usual pate's, canapés. Any type of drink you requested. The set up was very elegant.

This is not printed in the Daily Programme and invitations are delivered to your stateroom.

Hope this helps.

I hope I will not offend anyone but may I give another view on these "Party's" We were on the april 16th Iberian jewels cruise. One evening there was an officers party in the yatch club and on another evening the queens room was closed for a cocktail party for some passengers. Being first time cruisers I enquired at the pursers office as to why I had no access to these areas of the ship and why we were not included in these "Party's I feel very strongly that as I paid the same ammount of money for my holiday I expect the same treatment as everyone else I object most strongly to subsidising other peoples holidays The money spent on this elitism would have been far better spent on providing decent quality entertainment for all passengers instead of the dreary second rate entertainment we had. Needless to say we shall not be cruising with cunard again and if they want to attract new clients I suggest they look after them better. :mad:

Hi Magnuscat,

While not wishing to offend you either, but if you were a 1st timer you should have been invited to a newcomers party, and had some other perks as well which would have included an onboard credit and a photo as well as some other gifts hopefully, and if by chance you didnt get these l would change travel agents

Im sure you appreciate that these party's are in some part a thankyou from Cunard for our past passenger status which we all treasure and l can only speak for myself but there can be no finer experience than to open the cabin door and find the coveted invite placed on the cabin table with the invite from either the Captain,Hotel Manger,Dr or Engineer to their quarters or public rooms, these events have always been part of QE2s social scene and most other ships as well. As a platinum member of the Cunard world club,(top level member) l do strongly feel that having spent over the years a considerable number of £s to gain access to this club, its nice to be rewarded with a get together for like minded travellers.

As for subsidising others peoples holidays, l hardly think a glass of bubbly will break the bank.

Its a shame you wont be travelling with Cunard again after this experience, I can only imagine the scene at the Pursers office had you been invited to dine with the crew!!!!

Im sure you havent offended anybody, and likewise, l trust you are not offended by my reply, but during my next trip lm looking forward to celebrating my 100th night onboard QE2, the champagne corks will be popping, the streamers blowing and all will be invited

.....during my next trip lm looking forward to celebrating my 100th night onboard QE2, the champagne corks will be popping, the streamers blowing and all will be invited

100th night on QE2 ... cunardqueen, you don't deserve a party you deserve a medal !!!!

Thankyou for your input cunardqueen of course I don't take offence at your comments. As far as I am aware there was no special provision for first time cruisers on the 16th April trip. Other first timers I met got the same impression as I did i.e. we first timers were there just to make up the numbers and in filling the cruise we did provide a valuable source of income for Cunard but we were not valued enough to receive the same standard of hospitality as other passengers. I enjoyed the idea of cruising visiting lots of different ports/countries and the dressing for dinner sailing away from sunny places whilst sipping cocktails on the funnel deck but for me the experience was ruined by the feeling of being on the outside looking in. I do not expect to be treated any better than my fellow passengers I do however expect to be treated the same .

I work for a large organization that has a conference every year, usually at a beach resort. My office pays to send 25-30 people to attend. Who goes? The 25-30 people who have been at the office the longest. Is this elitist? No. Are the other employees "outside looking in"? No. Are the newer employees quitting because of this unequal treatment? No. It's a fair, objective selection process. Everyone enjoys the same benefits of the office in general, but those that have longevity and loyalty to the office get this extra perk. That's the key to the parties on Cunard, as someone else mentioned above, to thank passengers for their longevity and loyalty. I'm sorry for you that missing a 2-hour cocktail party has turned you off Cunard. If you go on a few more trips, you, too, would probably be at one of those cocktail parties. I hope you decide to change your mind and give Cunard another chance!

Virtually every line that I have cruised with (Celebrity, Crystal, Cunard, Holland America, NCL, Princess, and Royal Caribbean) has a cocktail party for repeat passengers. Also, most lines offer special perks (discounts, coupons, use of a concierge lounge, etc.) for passengers who have sailed with the line before. If you decide not to patronize lines that offer benefits to returning passengers, your choice of ships will be extremely limited indeed.

I was invited to three parties on my last trip:

World Club (Queen's Room) -for being a repeat customer ~200 people attended

Ward Room Party- personal invitation of an officer, limited to 100 guests, great fun

Captain's Cocktail Party (Captain's Quarters)-seated at the Captain's table ~30 guests

The Ward Room party is the hot invitation of the cruise. It's in a private area, so it does not inconvenience other passengers and you meet a lot of very interesing people!

I was on the April 16 Iberian Cruise as well, didn't see any first-timers events. Lots of great evenings at the Funnel Bar though!

-Julia

Archived