Fire on Carnival Triumph. No engines, running on emergency generators.

nixonzm

Finally got in. As of 11:25 AM EST per Carnival's official release'

"Currently, public and cabin toilets are operational in certain sections of the ship"

The word toilet was in fact specifically used.

True. OTOH, the CG's statement said

"The ship's sewage system was restored to the forward section of the ship but was still down in the aft portion. "

Assuming both are literally true, it's possible that a small number of toilets were operational, and that important repairs completed to the forward sewage system, butthis had yet to show real benefit to many pax based on the accounts posted late this afternoon.

Why hasn't the Mexican government offered more help? What about the Mexican Navy getting their behinds out there and helping out in some way?

Seems like the least they can do since Carnival ships provide such a large amount of income to the people and businesses in their ports.

I mean ... a TUG BOAT? For a huge ship like Triumph? Can't they do better than that ????

Significant but not as much as you might think for noro, as the virus already has to be on board and expressed. If it is onboard already, well that's anothr whole mess since quarantine is not an effective option.

Bigger threats are sanitation based issues (e-coli, shigelosis, listeriosis, clostridiium and others. Most of these are foodborne and waterborne and are prone to spreading when personal hygeine is not practiced, as it is not currently. You also will start seeing risk from molds and other fungi in the lower decks as humidity rises and air circulation is limited.

What is the potential for a norovirus or other illness with so many people in such close quarters under these conditions? What percentage of such illness be? Anyone with medical knowledge have some idea?

I hope they did.

My cousins are supposed to be on today's sailing and they are obviously not going. Carnival is giving them full refund.

What's funny is, my cousins managed to fly out of Philly/NJ, amid Nemo threat, only to get into this mess. This cruise is just not meant to be for them. They were so excited they managed to fly out they didn't check their emails carefully. They only found out today after they got to the port. They must have been the only ones! But yes, Carnival is providing full refund.

Oh Geeze. :( Hopefully they will stay down there and do a mini land vaca so the whole thing isn't a bust for them.

just finished reading a couple of gossip rags that were talking about the ship. and this quote struck me as extremely funny:

its kind of amazing how one's priorities in an emergency situation can become so absolutely mundane. i could think of a thousand other things i would want power for before i would even think about charging my phone. it isn't like anybody on the other end of the line is going to resolve the situation. YMMV

:confused: Like what? Blowdrying your hair? As a pax, you couldn't go and cook your own food if you had electricity, as a pax you could take a shower with hot water if there was electricity, but there isn't electricity, so with the little power they had for some time and being able to tap into another ships cellular at sea signal, what else would be more important than letting the people at home who love you and who are worried about you know that you are okay? Thank you for another one of your valuable posts lol. If you were the one home with someone close to you aboard that ship, wouldn't you want to know they were okay if they had a charged fone and could tell you? Forget I asked that. It's almost rhetorical.

Those tugs have more pulling power in their engine configuration that a naval patrol boat.

Given they are in international waters, I suspect the Mexican Navy will wait for them at the boundary of their waters to render assistance.

I'm actually amazed there was a cutter that got there so close.

Why hasn't the Mexican government offered more help? What about the Mexican Navy getting their behinds out there and helping out in some way?

Seems like the least they can do since Carnival ships provide such a large amount of income to the people and businesses in their ports.

I mean ... a TUG BOAT? For a huge ship like Triumph? Can't they do better than that ????

Oh Geeze. :( Hopefully they will stay down there and do a mini land vaca so the whole thing isn't a bust for them.

:confused: Like what? Blowdrying your hair? As a pax, you couldn't go and cook your own food if you had electricity, as a pax you could take a shower with hot water if there was electricity, but there isn't electricity, so with the little power they had for some time and being able to tap into another ships cellular at sea signal, what else would be more important than letting the people at home who love you and who are worried about you know that you are okay? Thank you for another one of your valuable posts lol. If you were the one home with someone close to you aboard that ship, wouldn't you want to know they were okay if they had a charged fone and could tell you? Forget I asked that. It's almost rhetorical.

My wife would be on facebook. Me, I would of taken the brightness down to lowest possible level. Closed all programs. Power down. Then when I saw some national inquire moments, power up and try to capture some good footage. Got to be worth something.

Please, let's not bring the Mexican Navy into this. Arguing over the US Coast Guard's jurisdiction consumed about 7 pages of this thread. ;)

That was a joke.

Seriously speaking, the USCG is already on the scene with a 200-ft Vigorous class cutter and I don't know that the Mexican Navy has the resources to signficantly improve on that.

As far as tugs, not sure what port they are coming from, but those little vessels are the ones needed to take the Triumph to shore.

What is the potential for a norovirus or other illness with so many people in such close quarters under these conditions? What percentage of such illness be? Anyone with medical knowledge have some idea?

Even on ships with adequate sanitation facilities, there are regular outbreaks of contagious disease. I don't think it's a stretch to assume that the risk of an outbreak of Noro, influenza, or any number of other contagious illnesses is very high.

just finished reading a couple of gossip rags that were talking about the ship. and this quote struck me as extremely funny:

its kind of amazing how one's priorities in an emergency situation can become so absolutely mundane. i could think of a thousand other things i would want power for before i would even think about charging my phone. it isn't like anybody on the other end of the line is going to resolve the situation. YMMV

Obviously you have no loved ones at home that are important enough to stay in touch with. It is the only way to let them know you are okay.

My wife would be on facebook. Me, I would of taken the brightness down to lowest possible level. Closed all programs. Power down. Then when I saw some national inquire moments, power up and try to capture some good footage. Got to be worth something.

LOL about FB.

LoonBeam -- you're standing on the 5K line!!!!!!

Oh Geeze. :(

:confused: Like what? Blowdrying your hair?

oh, so much love. i really don't think i was talking about my personal use of the power on board, had a much broader view in mind but you can take my post as you wish. maybe because i grew up in an era when we carried on very nicely, thank you very much, without being in minute by minute contact with every other human being in our personal sphere i just don't see the need for so much silly chit chat.

it isn't like the emergency contacts haven't been notified and both people on the boat and their loved ones at home don't know what the situation is. but then some people, these days, can't take a piss without letting someone else know.

Hi there - I'm a producer with CBS News and was hoping to get more details about how people aboard the cruiseship are doing - especially if there is no power/bathrooms. Would love to chat with you if you can. Shoot me an e-mail at ohms@cbsnews.com!

Thanks!

Shawna

Good luck.

So far all we got is info of cruisers squatting over drains to make water, and using bags to make.....well you know.

If you have to ask , maybe you don't have real good grasp on how the Mexican Govt operates .I imagine they don't do anything until they extort plenty of dollars out of somebody first . People sick and dying is no big deal in Mexico .:mad::mad::mad:

There are about 4 posters who have family/friends on the Triumph and are getting sporatic updates from them. (please keep them comeing)

News releases say some of the toilets are working, but it appears some on the ship do not know that.

The tug boat is/was running late. The ship may or may not be in route to the Port in Progresso.

The passport problem will probably not be an issue as there can be exceptions in certain situations.

The pax are eating veggies and there is some coffee.

They are also allowed in to their rooms now, (as seen by the recent picture), but it's hot w/o the AC running.

Did I miss anything?

i have a bunch of kids and never ever used the word potty..always just asked them if the had to go to the bathroom. guess i am weird

The only time I use "potty" is with the dogs so I can say "bathroom" in front of my husband without them going crazy thinking they are going for a walk. So no, you're not the weird one.

Archived