Fire on Carnival Triumph. No engines, running on emergency generators.

nixonzm

I have been on two ships (one NCL and one RCCL) where we lost sewer facilities for about 8 hours and one were there was a small kitchen fire and they were not able to prepare hot food for dinner one evening. I have to say the one without sewer people were much more understanding than the no dinner. When they brought out sandwiches and cold items for dinner people were grabbing like they had not eaten in days. It was very entertaining seeing people hoarding food in bags like they were never going to get to eat again.

We weren't even having any kind of problems on board, but it sounds like a lot of the passengers on the Magic recently. The 2nd dinner, the crew didn't open the dining room doors at *exactly* 6pm, so the passengers nearest the doors started pounding and screaming, "let us in, let us in!" It would have been entertaining if I hadn't been so mortified wondering what the crew was thinking of "us passengers" as a whole.

There are about 4 - 5 posters who have family/friends on the Triumph and are getting sporatic updates from them. (please keep them comeing)

News releases say some of the toilets are working, but it appears some on the ship do not know that.

The tug boat is/was running late. The ship may or may not be in route to the Port in Progresso.

The passport problem will probably not be an issue as there can be exceptions in certain situations.

The pax are eating veggies and there is some coffee.

They are also allowed in to their rooms now, (as seen by the recent picture), but it's hot w/o the AC running.

I'll add in, they have a Coast Guard cutter flanking them for support/assistance.

There were 2 known medical emergencies requiring evacuation.

Some pax are sleeping on deck under improvised tents.

I really question the validity of your statement : News releases say some of the toilets are working, but it appears some on the ship do not know that.

Given we have had 5 posters with loved ones aboard all post no bathrooms are working, the statement to be accurate really should be "Contrary to Carnival's press release saying there are some bathrooms working, no one on-board has confirmed that and in fact 5 people with loved ones aboard have reported no bathrooms are working"

This is probably very inaccurate. What they will do is fly US custom agents to Mexico and clear them into the US as they leave the ship, and put them on the busses that take them directly to the airport and the planes that CCL has chartered.

Nothing unusual about CBP doing this, it happens whenever you end a cruise in Vancouver and is no big deal.

People are getting concerned about the passport issue for no reason at all.

There is no way that CCL will get enough charter planes for 3000 people to leave at once.

In Vancouver everyone has a passport and they pre-clear at the airport, not getting off the ship.

Two completely different scenarios.

We weren't even having any kind of problems on board, but it sounds like a lot of the passengers on the Magic recently. The 2nd dinner, the crew didn't open the dining room doors at *exactly* 6pm, so the passengers nearest the doors started pounding and screaming, "let us in, let us in!" It would have been entertaining if I hadn't been so mortified wondering what the crew was thinking of "us passengers" as a whole.

Wow. I can understand if it was 30 minutes later that people might want to inquire as tow hat was going on, but pounding on the doors? Bizarre at best.

The DOL can't stop a company from letting an employee go as long as the reason has nothing to do with "protected class" issues. You're kidding yourself if you think they can. I'm guessing you live in one of the very few states where employees have decent rights. I assure you that isn't the way it works in most of the country.

You are 100% correct. And yes, I actually am an expert.

It's most likely to happen in hourly positions, but it can happen in any role at all. Many companies have extremely strict attendance policies, in writing, and absences in excess of what is allowed can absolutely (and often do) result in termination.

I just rec'd a text from my wife. - NO POTTIES ARE WORKING!

That was all it said. My friends wife sent him a text that was broken up in the middle and di not complete.

Sounds like Carnival is blowing smoke up everyones #ss to me.

Willie!!!

OMG is this the way I have to find you and Kellie after our great Mariner of the Seas cruise?

No, in all reality how scary for you and how devastating for her.

I can only hope for a quick safe return.

Sue

AKA Lionesss

The shy one;)

There are about 5 posters who have family/friends on the Triumph and are getting sporatic updates from them. (please keep them comeing)

Contrary to Carnival's press release saying there are some bathrooms working, no one on-board has confirmed that and in fact 5 people with loved ones aboard have reported no bathrooms are working.

The tug boat is/was running late. The ship may or may not be in route to the Port in Progresso.

The passport problem will probably not be an issue as there can be exceptions in certain situations.

They are also allowed in to their rooms now, (as seen by the recent picture), but it's hot w/o the AC running.

Did I miss anything?

I just read on another site that a lady had talked to her mom and her cabin had a working toilet.

Thankfully they are on their way to Progresso.

That's good to hear, some people on here still believe there are NO working toilets. It's nice to hear some are restored.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

...the Cruise lines have to be proactive instead of reactive. It was reported by guests their were problems before the fire. They earn millions of dollars and need to protect their assets not just ignore them away. Now instead of just one or two weeks and the cost of fixing the boat you have all the bad PR, cost of getting people to safety, and cancelled future cruises. Its really bad math on their part.

I give this post the Best Post Award out of the 1300+ on here. Well said!

Fortunately things have improved over the years. Dad only last 2 years on dialysis.

I'm sorry to hear that. :( My gf was able to later get a transplant from her sister which was accepted and has given her a whole new lease on life. I realize that she is very fortunate. My sympathies to you.

Alleged? the Triumph's propulsion issues have been raised several times on cruise critic.

Check out this thread if you need to read up on it.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1784167

The thing is that this incident could very well be totally unrelated to the previous propulsion problems. The ship lost electrical power, not just propulsion. Until they investigate the causes and find out what happened, trying to connect the prior mechanical issues with this incident is pure speculation.

My mom said "it's been a cluster****". She said that she has "a feeling the cruise from hell will be a nightmare when they get to Mexico. It's going to take a long time to get 3200 passengers home (either via Cancun or Merida)."

It doesn't sound like they're giving the passengers a lot of info. We were able to text back and forth when the most recent ship was there giving supplies. (It was about an hour ago).

As a family member, I'm disappointed in Carnival's PR. The last update on the website was at 11:30 am. I'm finding more info on this thread than through "official" sources. And the information on the phone line from Carnival has either been partially incorrect or just flat out WRONG (like when they told me the tugs were there and they were moving when that was NOT the case).

This is probably very inaccurate. What they will do is fly US custom agents to Mexico and clear them into the US as they leave the ship, and put them on the busses that take them directly to the airport and the planes that CCL has chartered.

Nothing unusual about CBP doing this, it happens whenever you end a cruise in Vancouver and is no big deal.

People are getting concerned about the passport issue for no reason at all.

Maybe, maybe not. Vancouver has border patrol and customs agents stationed there and everyone clears us customs in Vancouver if they fly out. Progresso is quite a bit different than Vancouver is.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Which dining room? We were at Northern Lights-Upper and never saw anything like that (and I'm glad!!).

There are about 4 posters who have family/friends on the Triumph and are getting sporatic updates from them. (please keep them comeing)

News releases say some of the toilets are working, but it appears some on the ship do not know that.

Did I miss anything?

I'm sure what you read is prolly accurate, they have some working toilets now. But because the 4 or 5 ( out of over 3,000 people on the ship ) on this thread can't confirm it, some people chose to believe its a lie.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My mom said "it's been a cluster****". She said that she has "a feeling the cruise from hell will be a nightmare when they get to Mexico. It's going to take a long time to get 3200 passengers home (either via Cancun or Merida)."

It doesn't sound like they're giving the passengers a lot of info. We were able to text back and forth when the most recent ship was there giving supplies. (It was about an hour ago).

I'm sorry your Mom is in this situation. How horrible for everyone involved. I can see how frustrating it is for all the family members to try to gather information and can not imagine how much more frustrating is must be to be a passenger with no/limited information. Prayers for everyone involved.

OMG my eyes are spinning. While my heart goes to those who's vacations have taken a horrible turn because they are stuck on the ship or stuck without a much anticipated vacation I cannot help but chuckle at the things we find to argue about.

NOW. The real question I have is when they do in fact get some or more of the toilets working...

Do the Pax who purchased FTTF get a priority line for the loo????;)

And for crying out loud! don't those people at CCL know the last thing you feed people with no toilet is veggies and roughage. Bring out the cheese for all that is holey. Get it... Holey Cheese.

Hoping everyone gets home safe from the big T and hoping many others get a life. :D

Archived