Fire on Carnival Triumph. No engines, running on emergency generators.

nixonzm

Do you think Alabama was just a decision based on passport issues?

More than the passport issues (which really aren't CCL's problem to deal with) I think it's a lot cheaper than paying for international charters--even if the distance was further I still think they're getting off cheaper by going to Mobile.

Wishing these passengers the best. I can only imagine how horrible this is for them. Some people might think they're getting extra days for their vacation. I would think that it would be a nightmare.

We were in Cozumel on Jewel of the Seas, and I took this photo of Carnival Triumph from our dock. Triumph departed Cozumel about an hour before we did.

Triumph1_zpsaa9ae1c8.jpg

Pretty sure tugboats pull, barges push.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tugboats do both... The ocean going ones in this case will be pulling... When they get to port, they will likely require additional tug boats to push the ship in order to turn it...

Technically they push the ship, don't they?

No, the large seagoing tugs will send a hawse over and it will tie to a stern cleat on the aft deck.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_BQFsh4qTNtM/TOhoUyK0uVI/AAAAAAAACCc/QgyDI62LLQI/s1600/splendor_tug.jpg

When it comes time to turn or quickly change direction, a pusher will come to play and direct the stern or bow in the proper direction.

That being said, a cruise ship under its own power is an amazingly agile, almost athletic thing of beauty. With the bow thrusters and steerable azipods, they can pirouette in a small channel (like in Galveston) and neatly kiss the pier while docking. The ships I was on in the Navy are downright ungainly in comparison!

This was probably a factor in the port decisionmaking

Alabama Drydock and Shipbuilding Company

**(Redirected from Alabama Drydock

The Alabama Drydock and Shipbuilding Company (ADDSCO) located in Mobile, Alabama, was one of the largest marine production facilities in the United States of America during the 20th century. Beginning operation in 1917, the shipyard is presently owned by BAE Systems, who purchased the yard from Atlantic Marine in May 2010.[1]

Wishing these passengers the best. I can only imagine how horrible this is for them. Some people might think they're getting extra days for their vacation. I would think that it would be a nightmare.

We were in Cozumel on Jewel of the Seas, and I took this photo of Carnival Triumph from our dock. Triumph departed Cozumel about an hour before we did.

Triumph1_zpsaa9ae1c8.jpg

By looking at this photo, I can clearly tell that CCL knew a fire was imminent and did nothing... I base this on my expertise in sitting behind a computer and typing a bunch of bull****. ;)

Long, loong, looong time lurker posting.

This rant was formated for another board, however, I feel it still suits.

I feel for these folks onboard. I can't imagine the difficulties. Our prayers are with you.

Their issues will not end once docked, or airborne to the US

I agree they are fortunate the weather is cooperating. If this event occurred during significant seas this would be a whole different story.

I also feel IMHO Carnival does step up and compensate folks openly more than any other line.

I also feel any amount of compensation will never make it right for many. Not as though it would ever, given the circumstances. At this point it isn't about money. And it never will be for many. It's about getting home and reconnecting with family / life on land.

I can't believe some of these comments I've read. Have any of you been thru an incident of similiar proportion?

I tried to read thru the banter, but I couldn't and failed.

I ask of all of you, when these folks return to civilization, and they begin to post on said boards, that we give then the benifit of doubt.

These folks have been through something that is/can be life changing. Many may be experiencieng PTSD. My suggestion is we listen and give support instead of questioning their experiences. Allow them to share their experiences and memories. This is part of the healing process after such an event.

We, being on the mainland, safe and secure in our living rooms, have no right to judge, or should we. Let's allow them to share without banter. JMHO

Best wishes to all affected. :good vibes

Well said

If a ship has persistent mechanical issues over two months but is kept in service... and subsequently has an engine fire and goes adrift... I call that reason to ask tough questions.

Of course there is reason to ask tough questions, specially considering that a similar ship (Carnival Splendor) had what seems to be a similar incident 2 years ago. They need to ask Fincantieri some tough questions too. But I still keep my point that the prior propulsion problems are not necessarily related to the engine room fire. Propulsion systems and power generation are entirely different beasts.

Don't be obsessed about the passports. In situations like this they can waive the lack of a passport and likely will do so. I doubt they are going to give those without passports a hassle.

It's moot now, but there would be a higher level of screening for those without a passport that would most likely include additional forms and additional questioning. It wouldn't be the typical hand them your passport, they ask if you have anything to declare, you say no, they stamp your passport and tell you t have a safe trip home.

Pretty sure tugboats pull, barges push.

I think you're right. According to wikipedia the standard seagoing tugboat tows its payload. There are some that push but usually only in specific interlocking type configurations.

Wow. I can understand if it was 30 minutes later that people might want to inquire as tow hat was going on, but pounding on the doors? Bizarre at best.

It was like that in different degrees most of the cruise; many passengers acted like this was going to be their only food all year.

Which dining room? We were at Northern Lights-Upper and never saw anything like that (and I'm glad!!).

We were in Southern Lights-Lower & Early. I truly wish I'd never seen it either. ;)

It's moot now, but there would be a higher level of screening for those without a passport that would most likely include additional forms and additional questioning. It wouldn't be the typical hand them your passport, they ask if you have anything to declare, you say no, they stamp your passport and tell you t have a safe trip home.

Although I am sure that it will be easier in Mobile, it is not quite moot. A passport would still be required since this is not a closed loop cruise. It is more likely to be waived in Mobile.

A couple of comments...

1) Re "Why Mobile and not Progresso, Galveston..." I believe Carnival. The currant had taken them north and it's easier and faster to work with the currant. I assume this is especially true with such a large, disabled vessel.

2) I find it interesting (and perhaps a reflection on the demographics of a 4 day Carnival cruise out of New Orleans) that 900 of 3,000 pax are without passports.

We did a 5 day NCL cruise out of NOLA a few years ago and it seemed that perhaps 75% of the passengers had driven to the port from LA, MS, TN and TX. (And were presumably less likely to be regular international travelers than those flying to Miami)

Finally, to all who have family and friends aboard. For what it's worth, you have my best wishes and thoughts (and I assume that of the vast majority of the Cruise Critic community) Don't let the flamers get you down.

Mark

Of course there is reason to ask tough questions, specially considering that a similar ship (Carnival Splendor) had what seems to be a similar incident 2 years ago. They need to ask Fincantieri some tough questions too. But I still keep my point that the prior propulsion problems are not necessarily related to the engine room fire. Propulsion systems and power generation are entirely different beasts.

Ok, I can respect that.

Not sure we will ever know the root cause on the Triumph as I don't think the cause on the Splendor was ever released.

We weren't even having any kind of problems on board, but it sounds like a lot of the passengers on the Magic recently. The 2nd dinner, the crew didn't open the dining room doors at *exactly* 6pm, so the passengers nearest the doors started pounding and screaming, "let us in, let us in!" It would have been entertaining if I hadn't been so mortified wondering what the crew was thinking of "us passengers" as a whole.

That type of language is not allowed on this bord!:eek:

I'm happy for all the passengers that they will be able to disembark in Mobile instead of Progreso. Logistically it just makes everything easier. Thankfully the currents pushed the ship far enough north to make a US port a viable option. Since Mobile has home port cruise facilities it should easily be able to accommodate the ship/luggage/immigration/disembark needs.

I believe after the Splendor fire, the decision was made to tow the ship to San Diego in part because it was a US port and some of the immigration and transportation issues were eliminated by that decision. Does anybody remember?

Mobile also puts the ship much closer to repair facilities and parts. By the time the ship gets to Mobile, there will be considerably more work necessary than just the engine room/electrical repair. Mold and mildew takes root fast in the tropics with no air conditioning, and additionally, just about every soft surface on the ship is going to have to be replaced to remove the smell and health hazard of 5 or so days with no/limited plumbing and rotting food.:(

Although I am sure that it will be easier in Mobile, it is not quite moot. A passport would still be required since this is not a closed loop cruise. It is more likely to be waived in Mobile.

True--I was thinking more specifically if they had flown back, but you are right, it's no longer closed loop and technically a passport is required.

Not necessarily.......if your diesel engine is you propulsion and it also runs your generation power and one is off line, the one left must work harder to propel and keep power constant. No different than a Briggs and Stratton motor for a generator in the house......if you have a 5500 watt generator and try to pull 6500 watts thru the cable, the cables get hot. Typically you'd trip a breaker.......unless someone puts a larger breaker than wires can handle. Wires get hot.....then FIRE. Not saying something like that was done but if you have more than one engine/generator you shouldn't lose power, let's face it, mechanically those diesels run forever......thus fire had to be electrical. I'd be curious to see if carnival was rubber and and bubblegumming until it could get to dry dock or have time for repairs

Archived