Fire on Carnival Triumph. No engines, running on emergency generators.

nixonzm

I just today shipped 25 cases [3600] 2 oz bottles of Purell Hand Sanitizer with a custom imprint to a client in NY.

I wish I could make that amount or more magically show up on the Lido deck of the Triumph ! Lord knows they could use it !

They sure did. I was on a Cruise out of Mobile when I heard the news. I live in TN so decided to do a cruise last minute. I usually cruise from another port and on another cruise line. I just got off a Celebrity Ship, and it was wonderful.

Diane in Music City

Statement from general manager of Alabama Cruise Ship Terminal

http://blog.al.com/live/2013/02/safety_of_carnival_triumph_pas.html

http://blog.al.com/live/2013/02/news_conference_qa_with_cruise.html

deleting to avoid possible copyright infringement. an edited transcript should be available at the link above, and has some useful details on what pax may expect when they dock. The lady sounds like she knows her stuff.

Note, this is not the Carnival press conference.

I wish someone had asked about the crew. I am sympathetic towards everyone in this situation, but it seems that only the passengers are being discussed in the media. Not only are the crew working for next to nothing right now, but they're having to keeping this mess as clean as possible.

I know when the Splendor returned to San Diego, the crew were also given hotel rooms for a few days to shower, eat, and sleep. I sincerely hope that hotel rooms for the crew are included in the mass amounts they are reserving. They have a huge task ahead of them, and they are probably getting very little, if any sleep. They need a break, too; real food, air conditioning, hot shower, and some time where they don't have to deal with other people's sh!t - literally and figuratively.

"Like" icon14.gif

NBC news just reported that there are 5 working toilets for 4,000 passengers.

Those in inside cabins, because of the stench have taken their mattresses and moved them to other areas of the ship.

Don't shoot the messenger.

Hopefully some passengers saved some battery life in their cameras and phones to be able to record the conditions over the next couple days.

I'm sure most of the passengers on that ship live in the Central time zone but Carnival schedules the news conference for 5pm CST, when many relatives/friends are on their way home from work and can't watch. Their PR department is horrible.

actually they are quite smart..many family members will miss it.

yeah' date=' just send one of those empty Carnival ships from the yard...[/quote']

I would have been happy to give up my spot on a cruise for the ship to pick up these poor souls. Or even sent those that would love to trade places with them.

what would they do with all the pax they kicked off the ship to sail empty

Should it matter? How bout if the ship were sinking instead of stinking.

One cruise should have been canceled, and the ship sent to pick up these poor people.

I was on Crown Princess a couple of weeks ago off Belize. I was watching people leaving on tenders in very calm seas. I watched two tenders. During this time, I watched four people fall (one hitting her head so hard that she was carried by employees back onto the ship). Although there appeared to be almost no waves, I was watching the tender raising and lowering two feet and doing so quite violently. I cannot imagine what this would be like in open sea with 6 foot seas. All that I am trying to say is that tendering would not be easy in open sea.

I am no expert, however, I do know you cannot tow a ship of that size that is completely disabled with only one other vessel regardless of the size. Mostly because of directional controll or lack thereof. Cruise ships at broadside have massive amounts of sail area and are greatly impacted by wind.

If you were on the bridge for any length of time you would be surprised how often it is not "rudder amidships" and just how much "steering" must be done to compensate for wind, drift and current.

Not to mention the no brakes factor.

I am no expert, however, I do know you cannot tow a ship of that size that is completely disabled with only one other vessel regardless of the size. Mostly because of directional controll or lack thereof. Cruise ships at broadside have massive amounts of sail area and are greatly impacted by wind.

If you were on the bridge for any length of time you would be surprised how often it is not "rudder amidships" and just how much "steering" must be done to compensate for wind, drift and current.

Celebrity ships actually have brakes, they are called azaipods. The propellers can actually turn through 360 degrees. The newer RCCI ships as well I believe.

Yikes, definitely gonna be keeping an eye on this being 25 days out for our Triumph cruise! :eek:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Sorry to say... better change your itinerary. It takes about 2 weeks to change an engine AFTER arriving at dry dock. (change and shake-down)

...its got breaks... its broken now! ;)

Archived