Fire on Carnival Triumph. No engines, running on emergency generators.

nixonzm

[quote name='gtalum']Meh. They also have a business to run. Let's not pretend that they wouldn't fall all over themselves with gratitude if carnival decided to bring a ship back to Mobile.[/QUOTE]

Sure, if Carnival wanted to actually rebuild a relationship with them. This is just a one night stand.

[quote name='shof515']any cams or live streams to watch the ship as it pulls into port for those at work without a tv[/QUOTE]

I am sure CNN or Fox News will have an online stream... They had coverage of the Splendor arrival.

I hope this arrival is like that one. When the Splendor arrived, the CNN reporter would ask them "how was the nightmare?" and if the first thing they said was anything positive in anyway, they cut them off and moved on to the next person. Took about 14 people to find one that they wanted to do a full interview with, then they played that interview over and over on tv.

[quote name='dockmaster']There are FREE bubble apps available for your phone....I use one to level my travel trailer. Used it the other day to level home plate at a softball game....the coach was impressed cause no one could find a level!!

billd[/QUOTE]

Home plate is leveled? Learn something new every day.

[quote name='ducklite']Sure, if Carnival wanted to actually rebuild a relationship with them. This is just a one night stand.[/QUOTE]

My point, of course, is that Mobile isn't going to burn that bridge, especially not when they have a massive unused cruise terminal.

You can also be sure they're going to make a pretty good chunk on this.

Speaking of that, what do you think a ~250 mile tow costs for a 100,000 ton dead ship?

In Legend or on the Legend? Please say in as we are on the Legend Sunday.

The Legend was one of the ships which stopped to drop fresh supplies, wasn't it? Is that cruise back or still out? Elation? Conquest? I'm interested to see the posts from cruisers on those sailings as well.

for those thinking Mobile would be the best place to stay Thursday night, you should read the online reviews of their available hotel space. I found 1 four star, a handful of 3 star, and an abundance of small 2 star.

carnival needs to have 1500 rooms for pax, 500 rooms for staff and crew, rooms for those working to get passengers off of the ship. i am sure concerned family members maybe booking another 100 to 200 rooms, media 50 rooms, and inspectors, etc. another 10 to 20 rooms. I figure this disaster, alone, would need about 2500 rooms in at least 3 star or better hotels along with restaurants to feed all of these passengers. Personally I don't think Mobile is equipped to handle this influx of people along with their regular clientele. just my opinion.

And the reason Mobile is not a regular embarkation port is because they do not have the infrastructure to handle ships carrying 3000 pax, a terminal to handle it or, I believe a pier long enough for most of the big ships. And obviously the town has not felt it worth their while to provide these services.

and, nowhere, have I not expressed concern for the passengers and crew. they deserve all my well wishes. but i do find the overly dramatic angst from others totally self-serving and majorly entitled. i'll allow that mothers and fathers of the under 18 on board have a right to be overly concerned, but all of the others seem to be more concerned about themselves and their sensibilities than the plight of their loved ones.

I was wrong about JH's posts on Facebook - it is true that he posted after the incident occured so I apologise for that.

I am certainly not a Carnival Cheerleader. They have alot of explaining to do, not least why this has happened onboard two of their ships in recent times - whether that be down to design flaws, penny pinching or whatever. It will be interesting to see if those other ships currently running with small engine problems are taken out of action and repaired to prevent this happening again.

One thing I do not like is sensationalist reporting. I'd rather just wait and read some of the accounts from the Triumph passengers when they return to Mobile than just posting rumours.

I'm glad those onboard will be able to step back onto dry land today. Cahill will then be able to see first hand what actually went on onboard and how to stop it happening again in the future (if he is there)!

Which will happened during corporate radio silence.

In fact, after Concordia, both the JH and CCL FB pages were shut down. This time we get silence, some issued statements, and "Pictures by Radu" and self promoted Skye appearance distractions.

Here's what I'd do if my loved one were on that ship. I'd spend today calling motels in the area and compiling a total of vacancies.

Or better yet, I would ask the Mayor to partner with the families to expose the ineptitude/corporate spitefulness or greed that is underpinning this decision to bus these passengers for hours...and I would approach any and all media that I could....and make this the PR DEBACLE of all time for this cruise line.

It would not take much effort to organize a few people to absolutely SHAME this company in away that alltheir pretty commercials could never erase the stench of their selfishness. The media is hungry for stories, people are furious, those passengers have been through hell, and this CEO better have allthe facts and figures behind this decision or it could certainly become legendary...and conditions are PERFECTfor a media firestorm that will have Carnival smelling as vile as that ship!

The pictures from onboard , the interviews are about to be unleashed. Any patience one might have for the cruise line will certainly be "challenged" by that long bus ride. Wait till they hear they could have been given rooms close to the ship in Mobile!!!! Doesn't anyone at Corporate have any common sense?

Oh heck no!!:mad: Where did you hear this? I know they're scheduled to arrive in Mobile today, but I assumed they would put those folks up in rooms to freshen up, get them a meal and then start flying them to their respective cities.

Agreed. People and furniture and anything else not nailed down would be crushed in a big pile with a 45 degree list. It's not likely more than about 15 degrees.

Actually, they reported earlier it was a 4.5 degree list. Decimal places are important. They then said some of the power that had been recovered was being used by the stabilizers and it had been reduced to a 2 point something degree list.

for those thinking Mobile would be the best place to stay Thursday night, you should read the online reviews of their available hotel space. I found 1 four star, a handful of 3 star, and an abundance of small 2 star.

carnival needs to have 1500 rooms for pax, 500 rooms for staff and crew, rooms for those working to get passengers off of the ship. i am sure concerned family members maybe booking another 100 to 200 rooms, media 50 rooms, and inspectors, etc. another 10 to 20 rooms. I figure this disaster, alone, would need about 2500 rooms in at least 3 star or better hotels along with restaurants to feed all of these passengers. Personally I don't think Mobile is equipped to handle this influx of people along with their regular clientele. just my opinion.

And the reason Mobile is not a regular embarkation port is because they do not have the infrastructure to handle ships carrying 3000 pax, a terminal to handle it or, I believe a pier long enough for most of the big ships. And obviously the town has not felt it worth their while to provide these services.

and, nowhere, have I not expressed concern for the passengers and crew. they deserve all my well wishes. but i do find the overly dramatic angst from others totally self-serving and majorly entitled. i'll allow that mothers and fathers of the under 18 on board have a right to be overly concerned, but all of the others seem to be more concerned about themselves and their sensibilities than the plight of their loved ones.

Yet certainly a step up from the luxiourious accommodations they've had the past 5 days. Even an occasion roach might go overlooked right now.

NPR news was saying yesterday evening that CCL had chartered planes to take people back to Houston.

From New Orleans. It also said that those who didn't want to wait for those planes could take a bus directly from the port to Houston or Galveston.

http://carnival-news.com/2013/02/13/latest-update-on-carnival-triumph/

Someone said that they are sending CBP to the ship, however no one has provided a link and I'm not sure how they would handle this in an orderly fashion on board.

I read the same...I assume they are going to try to accomplish customs and immigration on board before disembarkation. This is a complication they didn't face disembarking after the Splendor fire since that cruise never made it to a port.

CNN is reporting that Triumph has only managed about 80 miles in the last 20 or so hours. Right now she is still some 60 miles from Mobile and facing 25 mph winds out of the north west. According to the report Triumph has told the harbor pilot to expect them around 12:30 pm. The pilot will meet the ship some 30 miles from the pier said the report. If current conditions remain that would mean an early evening arrival.

Apparently Triumph has been experiencing some weather including a storm. My stomach is heaving just contemplating the rough ride.

I have to agree. The largest ship we've been on was the Disney Dream, and it was just too large. If the Allure or Oasis ever had a fire, there's no way that anyone can convince me that they'll get 8000+ souls off a burning and possibly sinking ship in time. Sure, in perfect scenarios in a "lab" situation, but in an emergency where people are panicking, parents are trying to find their kids, no way.

We're just off the Magic, the largest ship we'd cruised to date, and thought that it was too large. It really set in for me early, when we were trying to find our muster station for drill. I realize that crew will be along the way in an emergency, but I could just imagine the panic and crazed behavior with that many passengers all lost, trying to find their stations.

I agree with your sentiment, but I'm not sure your travel insurance would pay your claim when other options had been presented that wouldn't have caused you to spend out of pocket. I'd likely just fly directly home and worry about it later, though.

When an option that a reasonable person would find acceptable. I don't believe that a reasonable person would find what CCL is currently offering for transportation acceptable.

It's just another blunder by carnival. I understand why they're moving them to New Orleans immediately. Logistically it just makes sense, with many more hotel rooms and an airprot with far more capacity to accept 3000 extra passengers. But that doesn't account for the fact that these people are miserable and won't want to sit stinking on a bus for 2.5 hours (and let's face it, with this large a group you know it will be longer than that) before taking a hot shower and eating a real meal. They should have at least given them the option to stay in Mobile and transfer to New Orleans to catch their flights in the morning.

There was an interview of a woman played on morning radio down here. I'm not sure what network was running it....ABC maybe. She did say the ship was listing at a 45 degree angle. A few other points she mentioned:

1. There were broken sewage pipes and many rooms had sewage backed up on the floor.

2. They had to use their trash cans as toilets, then transfer the bags to larger collection bags in the hallways.

3. 4 hour waits for food that consisted of only bread, mayonaise, and tomatoes.

4. The only lighting was the emergency lighting strips in the hallways.

On a good note, she also said the crew was doing a great job, considering the situation.

Can't wait for some of the CCL Shills to say she is lieing to and all is peachy on board

Archived