Fire on Carnival Triumph. No engines, running on emergency generators.

nixonzm

That's the least Carnival can do. These poor passengers will be aboard ship with no power for 4 days (Sunday thru Wednesday). That means no showers, no working bathrooms, cold food, no a/c, etc

Actually a good job would have been Carnival properly maintaining the ship in the first place so this problem would not have occurred. The triumph has had mechanical issues since December and broken down several times during that stretch

But the Triumph was having mechanical issues since December. When does a ship having problems get taken out of service for repairs? That's the question that should be answered.

But that wasn't my question. :rolleyes: I agree with you, but I have a different question and wondered if anybody had an accurate answer to it. I am asking about the entire Carnival fleet & all cruises combined. And yes, it does pertain to this incident on the Triumph. I'd like to know the percentage of all Carnival cruises that involve ship malfunctions.

Are they allowing passengers to go back to their cabins to get their medications or to change clothes?

I heard that they were absolutely not permitted to go back to their cabins. Also, all of their bags were packed and already moved to the part of the ship where the put them for debarkation. Looks like they will be in the same clothes for the next few days. :mad:

I just read under the comments on CNN that a man whose wife is on the ship that its listing a bit, people are having to use bags and buckets for the bathroom and are fighting over food. Don't know how much of that is true but if so that must be awful.

I heard that they were absolutely not permitted to go back to their cabins. Also, all of their bags were packed and already moved to the part of the ship where the put them for debarkation. Looks like they will be in the same clothes for the next few days. :mad:

They would have to allow them to pick up medications. They can't have passengers dying on them.

I have to say, I think that if I were on this boat... I would be satisfied with that solution.

No A/C... we had a foot of snow three days ago here... I wouldn't be inside on an 80 degree day anyway, and at 72 at night, would turn off the AC and open the balcony door...

Cold food... Well, maybe I'm not getting the food I'd expect... but I'll get another free cruise... so thats better than a wash.

No working bathrooms.... Ok that's a pretty bad... if true. So far reports are saying they still have electricity from generators, I would assume that theres a plan for bathrooms.

No showers... I might not like it, but I can deal with no shower for 2 1/2 days.

Carnival is also paying all transportation costs, which means for me at least, it would have been a completely free cruise.

Lastly... the Cruise was set to end in roughly 7 hours from now. It may seem petty, but the boat had no issues the last 2 cruises until a fire broke out. with half a day to go.

Didn't this happen during the morning of the last day at sea? Weren't they going on the way back to its home port? Last time I cruised they picked the bags on the last evening of the cruise, less than 12 hours before debarkation, not one full day.

I just read 25 pages of mostly BS. There were a few good posts mixed in. First off, I am going admit I have a "soft spot" for Triumph since my wife and I spent part of 2 week honeymoon on her back in '04. I would also like to add that I worked in the Marine Industry for 10 years and while my work was mostly with the non-commercial side( I did a lot of work with mega-yachts, you know the stuff we all oggle over, usually over 100' in length) my company did alot of commercial work, including the cruise industry. So while that doesn't qualify me as an expert, I have seen ships fail and the parts on them fail. The average commercial vessel will dry-dock approximately every 5 years. The cost, as already mentioned, can be hundred's of thousands of dollars just to lift the ship out of the water, plus any repairs and/or modifications done. Companies don't like to do this, but realize it is a necessary evil . To say Carnival is delaying these dry-docks to help the bottom line is downright clueless statement. Ships are dry-docked on a regular basis not because the company may want too, but because doing so is also part of CG certification process to allow the ship to carry passengers.

There appears to be alot of "experts" here when in fact we really don't know any of the facts. All WE know is the ship is without power and floating adrift 150 miles from shore in the Gulf of Mexico. We know it is being towed to Progesso, and we know that the Carnival Elation has come along side and transferred supplies. We don't know the reason why, we don't know how, we don't when it will be fixed. That also means we don't know if this incident is related in any way to the issues described by posters back in December. It could be, it could not be.

In reference to those generators, most don't realize that those generators have been running non-stop almost since they were put in service. Even when the ship is docked, swapping out passengers between trips, or in dry dock, the generators are running to provide power, so to have one fail, it CAN happen. If that was the case here, what can you say? Yes, it sucks that people were inconvienced, I feel bad for those have had their plans changed, lost vacation, pay etc. but it is a mechanical part and will eventually fail. To say Carnival has been negligent in maitanance is just not fair. Not until we know the true cause of the siuation and that is proven as the truth.

I like that people are on here talking about this, discussing it, but let's sort fact from fiction , truth from fairytail and see what plays out over the next few days, weeks etc.

For the record, I also think Carnival is being fair in their compensation. I am sure no one will walk away from this trip feeling as if they haven't been compensated. For those who think I am drinking the Carnival Kool-Aid, so be it. I am just not one to start posting or making speculation till I have all the facts of an incident.

Scott

They would have to allow them to pick up medications. They can't have passengers dying on them.

Yes. They had everybody that had necessary medicine in their luggage fill out a form, and now the crew is working on getting those peoples bags out from wherever it is that they place them the night before debarkation. They absolutely are not going to keep peoples medicine from them, but unfortunately, due to the situation, most passengers that are in need of medication have yet to get it.:(

But that wasn't my question. :rolleyes: I agree with you, but I have a different question and wondered if anybody had an accurate answer to it. I am asking about the entire Carnival fleet & all cruises combined. And yes, it does pertain to this incident on the Triumph. I'd like to know the percentage of all Carnival cruises that involve ship malfunctions.

I agree that mechanical malfunction percentage, with context, could be relevant. Like how CCL compares this year to last year, or CCL compared to the industry, or different CCL ships compared to each other.

It might only be possible to measure for major malfunctions since minor ones don't always get reported.

Yes. They had everybody that had necessary medicine in their luggage fill out a form, and now the crew is working on getting those peoples bags out from wherever it is that they place them the night before debarkation. They absolutely are not going to keep peoples medicine from them, but unfortunately, due to the situation, most passengers that are in need of medication have yet to get it.:(

Where did you get this info? Would love to know more.

Didn't this happen during the morning of the last day at sea? Weren't they going on the way back to its home port? Last time I cruised they picked the bags on the last evening of the cruise, less than 12 hours before debarkation, not one full day.

Perfect example of when gospel becomes fact. You are right they pick up the bags in the evening. They would have not started picking up bags before the fire happened mid day.

But SUNDAY night would be the "night before debarkation".

The information you'd earlier heard/read is definitely flawed . . . thankfully.

But SUNDAY night would be the "night before debarkation".

The information you'd earlier heard/read is definitely flawed . . . thankfully.

I don't know how accurate he was but he was alluding to the fact that they packed the rooms up early.

I was wondering about that too. When I sail I have to pay 65 per day for pet care. An extra five days isn't going to be cheap

I wonder what carnival has ready for people to sign to get off the boat, and how many lawyers are lining up at the airport.

I always have a friend come stay at my house with my dogs so that my good time doesn't stress them out too much. I'd feel worse about my dogs being trapped at a kennel for an extra 4 days more than I would be upset about the cruise.

Archived