Fire on Carnival Triumph. No engines, running on emergency generators.

nixonzm

I'm sure CCL will generously compensate anyone on this cruise, they have done so in the past and I applaud them for it. But that's not the big issue here. Cruise ships are complex machines that can (and do) have problems from time to time. That's not the big issue either.

There are weirdo superfans (Da Bears!) around here that will try and spin this into either a minor event to be disregarded, or into some wonderful opportunity for extra relaxation that the guests onboard should be thankful for. This is complete lunacy, and certainly not the issue.

The big issue is that one cruise line shouldn't be having this many breakdowns and engine room fires in such a short period of time. We just saw this exact scenario play out with Splendor a few years ago, Destiny was just having issues before they sent her to be "reincarnated" , and now this. There is a pattern developing here and CCL needs to work on keeping their hardware in proper working order.

This is so different than a left behind pier runner. In medical emergencies, don't they expidite a passport once the person has stabilized?

Yes, but it's different expediting for one person (and perhaps one or two traveling companions) and half a ship. It's not going to be taken care of overnight--it could take several days to get everyone sorted.

I'm sure they will be able to get back fine. I'm sure the governments and Carnival will be able to see to it that it shouldn't be an issue. I wouldn't be surprised if Carnival has already chartered planes for the passengers.

The ship itself though is another issue. My guess would have the passengers disembark, then getting the ship operational enough to limp back to Galveston or the nearest dry-dock(if needed). Obviously, this is costing them a lot of money and I'm sure they want to fix it "right" this time at whatever the cost and or delay of future cruises.

Don't kid yourself. They are insured for the engine damage as well as business interruption.

... I would hope that whomever governs the safety of passenger vessels leaving the US (because I hear it is not the TSA), would insist on a fleet wide mechanical and fire safety inspection of Carnival's engine rooms.

You heard right; it's not the Transportation Security Administration (TSA).

Safety at sea is handled by United States Coast Guard.

I feel so bad for the crew also. They have to deal with the passengers on the front lines. They do not get paid a whole lot and Carnival gets all of the profits. This is just the tip of the iceberg. I had an interesting conversation with our steward on our last cruise. Anyone read "Overboard"? Very interesting perspective on cruising.

I wonder how many people freezing in the dark in the northeast would trade for a spot on a well stocked drifting cruise ship. Current temperature in Progreso is 81 degrees. :cool:

So because some people may arguably have it worse than the people aboard this ship, there shouldn't be any complaints from/about the people on the ship?

I just researched, and was quite surprised to see the number of US cities the Merida airport can serve . . .

Albany, NY (ALB), Baltimore, MD (BWI), Boston, MA (BOS), Chicago Midway, IL (MDW), Chicago O'Hare, IL (ORD), Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky (CVG), Dallas/Fort Worth, TX (DFW), Denver, CO (DEN), Detroit Wayne County, MI (DTW), Fresno Yosemite (FAT), George Bush Intercontinental (IAH), Hartford/Springfield, CT (BDL), Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta (ATL), Kansas City Int'l, MO (MCI), Las Vegas, NV (LAS), Los Angeles, CA (LAX), Memphis (MEM), Miami, FL (MIA), Minneapolis/St. Paul (MSP), Nashville, TN (BNA), New Orleans, LA (MSY), New York JFK (JFK), Ontario, CA (ONT), Orlando, FL (MCO), Philadelphia, PA (PHL), Phoenix, AZ (PHX), Portland, OR (PDX), Raleigh-Durham, NC (RDU), Richmond, VA (RIC), Rochester, NY (ROC), Sacramento, CA (SMF), Saint Louis, MO (STL), Salt Lake City, UT (SLC), San Antonio, TX (SAT), San Diego, CA (SAN), San Francisco, CA (SFO), South Padre Is. Intl (BRO), Washington Dulles, DC (IAD)

There are no direct flights between MID and ALB, and I doubt between MID and most of the airports you listed.

I am amazed by all of the engineering experts out here but I will ask you all some questions:

How do you guys all know that the fire was related to the propulsion issue?

How do we know that these two fires were caused by poor maintenance and not freak occurrences? Or possibly a design flaw by Fincantieri?

Considering the ship hasn't made it back to port yet, probably a bit early to dust out our engineering degrees and decide what happened and why CCL was 100% at fault (I'm not saying they are at fault or are not at fault, just have not enough information on it to conclude something.)

There are no direct flights between MID and ALB, and I doubt between MID and most of the airports you listed.

I don't think thats the point. Those are US cities the airport CAN serve. Houston being the likely candidate that Carnival flies them back to, unless other arrangements are made.

I'm sure they will...it's still a lot of people to fly unexpectedly from Mexico to the US!

Agreed. Even if they can get a couple of 757's chartered, it's still going to take a few days to get every repatriated--although it will also take time to get passports processed for those who cruised without one, so it might work out i that respect.

I know of a number of sane people who would love to be on that ship. :rolleyes:;):p

That may be totally true. I don't know.

But I will assume that some of those (who've not yet reached your own Diamond status) would be bummed to learn that the rules clearly state that any free/gratis sailings do not earn any VIFP points. So this one can be erased from the loyalty points books.

I am amazed by all of the engineering experts out here but I will ask you all some questions:

How do you guys all know that the fire was related to the propulsion issue?

How do we know that these two fires were caused by poor maintenance and not freak occurrences? Or possibly a design flaw by Fincantieri?

Considering the ship hasn't made it back to port yet, probably a bit early to dust out our engineering degrees and decide what happened and why CCL was 100% at fault (I'm not saying they are at fault or are not at fault, just have not enough information on it to conclude something.)

Yep - a lot of assumenitis going on. Probable that it is related to the propulsion issue, but could have been anything - a passenger sneaking in there and starting it. I mean if a passenger was able to gain access to an anchor on HAL - who knows? Time will tell.

As long as you use Carnival's transportation to get back to the U.S, your original travel documents will be fine. If you try to get your own transportation back then that's where it will take a little more time but even then it shouldn't be a problem.

I'm not so sure about that.

Well this sucks for their vacation, but nice compensation. I'm sure everyone is taken care of that medically needs electricity and as for all others, it will be an adventure later to tell over and over again. The situation is not great but highly survivable, really, no different than being stuck with no power for a week or two when a hurricane hits us.

I remember when Andrew hit, I traveled (work) to Miami to help out a sister hospital that had been hit. We relieved other workers for 72 hrs straight who had been working nonstop.

It was 115 degrees inside the hospital, only generators, so yes you relieved yourself in dirty toilets, at least on ship you have a HUGE ocean to disperse of, we had no ice, cold food, no showers and we VOLUNTEERED for this. :p

Best wishes for all and that everyone get's home safe.

It's all in the attitude!

I love this! Especially "It's all in the attitude". I feel the same way. I hope you are ready to be crucified for your post. I have been several times. I think the people that can't "just go with it" have never had any hardships in life. I have learned that you have to pick yourself up, dust yourself off and try to make the best out of a bad situation. Just my opinion

Yep - a lot of assumenitis going on. Probable that it is related to the propulsion issue, but could have been anything - a passenger sneaking in there and starting it. I mean if a passenger was able to gain access to an anchor on HAL - who knows? Time will tell.

Is the engine room on the smoking side of the ship?

BTW- as first to blame passenger for fire, you have won a job in CCL's customer service department! :)

Archived