Fire on Carnival Triumph. No engines, running on emergency generators.

nixonzm

Back to Elation. Assuming all cabins are full, but if the ship was not at capacity, would they or could they somehow take on the frailest of Triumph passengers? Could this be an option?

What is Elation's home port?

REALLY??????????

Besides it is New Orleans as home port 6hrs away from Galeston

How would they choose the pax to hop on the Elation

Would it be the Bingo winner or would it be a lottery

Would the winner sell it to the highest bidder

Ok read this whole thread and all I can say is wow!!

Those poor passengers.

In the dark, I am sure they are getting water and some food, but still.

But if the toilets are not working, what do they do???

I am serious, just think of the health risks.

Anyone really know?

Splendor fire, Concordia disaster, now another ship fire? Seriously?

You do realize that all of Carnival Corp's lines operate independently of each other, right?

Given that info, after two engine room fires in just over 2 years, Carnival Cruise Lines needs to do some serious thinking. At a minimum I'd start rethinking that toilets don't belong on an emergency grid. (I have zero idea what the feasibility of this is, but it's becoming something to consider.)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

True and it is the whole package which makes the package so daunting. Getting 3100 people and their luggage from a small community pier to an airport to planes to Houston (I assume) then bussed to Galveston..... Ouch.

The luggage is the most daunting. If there was ever a cruise to pack everything in a carry on!..

As far as flights go, some airlines operate large wide-body aircraft in all economy configuration allowing them to fly 400+ at a time. They can also charter quite a lot of smaller planes with fast turn-arounds. If all the stars align, they can have people out of there relatively fast.

Wonders what happens if you are afriad of flying like I am which is why I always cruise from a port I can fly to.

I'm sure you could try to get on a bus, but you're much safer on a plane than you are on the ground found through the border towns in Mexico these days.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I am glad no one was hurt, but this will turn into another voyage from hell before it is done. Merida is NOT a village and has a good airport. Seems like Carnival has everything planned out, but this will become another ship towed to port and in a foreign country and it is not going to work out well for them.

Best wishes to everyone on the ship, but feel pretty sure this ship will be out for WAY more than a couple of weeks. :rolleyes:

Could this be a preventative maintence problem fleetwide? Could Carnival be holding back funds needed for repairs to make it's bottom line look better? We cruised on Triumph in '08 and loved her, ship was showing some age, but we had a great cruise. 2nd cruise with CCL scheduled for May, but will probably cancel while we're still able. With the bad luck plaguing Carnival, the wife is just not comfortable having our vacation plans depending on this cruiseline.

Wonder what will happen with those folks who don't have passports?

Earl

Very good question and I am sure there is some plan put in place for situations like this but if there isn't I would hate to be in that position.

Situations like this is why you want to have a passport. You never know what might happen.

Could this be a preventative maintence problem fleetwide? Could Carnival be holding back funds needed for repairs to make it's bottom line look better? We cruised on Triumph in '08 and loved her, ship was showing some age, but we had a great cruise. 2nd cruise with CCL scheduled for May, but will probably cancel while we're still able. With the bad luck plaguing Carnival, the wife is just not comfortable having our vacation plans depending on this cruiseline.

I'd keep the plans. Dream is a much newer ship. From what I've gathered here, it's class seems to have a lot less problems then others.

Read or heard somewhere that Triumph might go to dry dock a year early following this fire. Typically, how long is a ship in drydock?

Depends. Most "upgrade" dry docks are roughly 2 weeks. Destiny's "transformation" will take roughly a month (i think). Splendor's emergency dry-dock lasted roughly 3 months.

Agree.

Shame on you, Carnival.

Things happen, but you knew this was going on and risked it.

A big shame on you. :(

Don't think we have enough details to draw such harsh conlusions. Very likely the two issues are not related.

Would be interesting to know if the engine department has seen the same type of headcounts reductions as the entertainment and wait staff.

There are countless approaches to preventative maintenance and it would not surprise me to learn that these programs had received "enhancements" that reduce headcount and cost.

Just my own speculation-but the pattern has been clearly demonstrated with programs in plain sight-so it seems somewhat obvious that even molded draconian might be happening behind the sceenes.

Could this be a preventative maintence problem fleetwide? Could Carnival be holding back funds needed for repairs to make it's bottom line look better?

This is, perhaps, the most important question raised!

With all the cutbacks of the last couple of years. it is not unreasonable to ask this question!

Best wishes to everyone on the ship, but feel pretty sure this ship will be out for WAY more than a couple of weeks. :rolleyes:

Sure hoping you are wrong, since we are supposed to cruise March 11th, but I fear you are right!

Not only do I feel bad for the passengers, I feel sorry for the staff on board too. What do they get when something like this happens? Anyone know?

Could this be a preventative maintence problem fleetwide? Could Carnival be holding back funds needed for repairs to make it's bottom line look better? quote] Intersting, but I wonder on why they would do that. Seems that would be penny wise and dollar foolish. There is a over-riding agency that oversees that type of thing (it was mentioned in the barrage of posts after the Splendor) and I am sure it would be looked at. I do not remember anything of a neagative that came out against Carnival after the Splendor accident. It (the event) might say more about the ship builder Finiciari(I am sure I butchered that name).

The propulsion problems (not sure of the recent one on the Triumph) have been more of the engine then the electrical (where the fire was both on the Splendor and reportedly here).

Speaking of Elation. One would think that since they hook ships up to shore power all the time, they would keep a cable on board so they could actually connect one ship to another using the same connections.

That would have to be one mighty long and strong cable. This isn't the US Navy where ships transfer items between ships only 100 yards apart. And when they do, the steel cable is so strong if it snapped, it would rip anyone in half. I can't see them practicing this maneuver on a cruise ship or not practicing and actually doing it.

Archived