Fire on Carnival Triumph. No engines, running on emergency generators.

nixonzm

They said the Carnival Elation is on the scene. Does it have passengers on it now or is it empty? Since it has power I thought they could transfer passengers over to it via the tenders. Passengers that need electricity (they use breathing machines or other medical equipment). Or the elderly and those who are going to have a tough time surviving 3 days in the heat. The ship is gonna stink to high heaven with no working toilets and being so hot.

Interesting points. Might be more for food preparation than anything else....does make you wonder.

Based on what they did after the Splendor fire, I have no doubt that Carnival will do right financially by all the current and future passengers who are affected.

That said, I feel for the current passengers. Three days is a LONG time to be ANYWHERE with no/limited sanitary facilities, hot food, or A/C, let alone on a ship with over 3,000 passengers.

Unfortunately for the current cruisers, once they get to Progreso their adventures will continue. I know the ship needs to be towed to the closest port, but logistically Progreso makes things even more complicated. The pier itself is 4 miles long...it will take at least an hour to transfer to the airport in Merida, there are limited flights, then once they get back to the US almost everybody will have to be bussed from Houston down to Galveston to retrieve their cars.:( I also think since it was a very short cruise going only to Cozumel, the transport home will be complicated by the number of people without passports.

I agree with the people who have said if you have a cruise coming up on the Triumph in the next couple months you should be working on contingency plans. I have a feeling that Triumph's drydock just got moved to 2013.:(

Based on what they did after the Splendor fire, I have no doubt that Carnival will do right by all the current and future passengers who are affected.

That said, I feel for the current passengers. Three days is a LONG time to be ANYWHERE with no/limited sanitary facilities, hot food, or A/C, let alone on a ship with over 3,000 passengers.

Unfortunately for the current cruisers, once they get to Progreso their adventures will continue. I know the ship needs to be towed to the closest port, but logistically Progreso makes things even more complicated. The pier itself is 4 miles long...it will take at least an hour to transfer to the airport in Merida, there are limited flights, then once they get back to the US almost everybody will have to be bussed from Houston down to Galveston to retrieve their cars.:( I also think since it was a very short cruise going only to Cozumel, the transport home will be complicated by the number of people without passports.

I agree with the people who have said if you have a cruise coming up on the Triumph in the next couple months you should be working on contingency plans. I have a feeling that Triumph's drydock just got moved to 2013.:(

Flights will not be a problem as Carnival will charter planes to get these people home.

Merida is very close and the airport can handle planes as large as a 747. I'm sure Carnival is working on charter flights at this very moment.

I just researched, and was quite surprised to see the number of US cities the Merida airport can serve . . .

Albany, NY (ALB), Baltimore, MD (BWI), Boston, MA (BOS), Chicago Midway, IL (MDW), Chicago O'Hare, IL (ORD), Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky (CVG), Dallas/Fort Worth, TX (DFW), Denver, CO (DEN), Detroit Wayne County, MI (DTW), Fresno Yosemite (FAT), George Bush Intercontinental (IAH), Hartford/Springfield, CT (BDL), Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta (ATL), Kansas City Int'l, MO (MCI), Las Vegas, NV (LAS), Los Angeles, CA (LAX), Memphis (MEM), Miami, FL (MIA), Minneapolis/St. Paul (MSP), Nashville, TN (BNA), New Orleans, LA (MSY), New York JFK (JFK), Ontario, CA (ONT), Orlando, FL (MCO), Philadelphia, PA (PHL), Phoenix, AZ (PHX), Portland, OR (PDX), Raleigh-Durham, NC (RDU), Richmond, VA (RIC), Rochester, NY (ROC), Sacramento, CA (SMF), Saint Louis, MO (STL), Salt Lake City, UT (SLC), San Antonio, TX (SAT), San Diego, CA (SAN), San Francisco, CA (SFO), South Padre Is. Intl (BRO), Washington Dulles, DC (IAD)

My wife and mother-in-law are actually on the cruise! Carnival has said the following:

- Engine room fire

- No injuries

- No propulsion

- Only emergency power

- Do not know when they will return to port!

Stupid Mistake. They should have cancelled the previous two sailings and just fixed the ship properly instead of continuing to force it to run sending it out there with band aids slapped on it each time.

So now instead of having customers from one or two sailings being slightly inconvenienced by having to rebook a new ship for those sailing dates, they've instead now ruined the present and future cruises of countless others and will now surely have to address it in a deeper way -- probably resulting in canceling at least one sailing anyway -- at the expense of alienating many loyal customers.

Penny wise, pound foolish,

a particularly shocking trait for a bean counter. not sure if this is mickey pressuring gerry or gerry running it into the ground all by his lonesome, but whatever it is, things need to change.

You, like some other readers (on other subjects) put your own spin on my remark. I never said that anything good happenedon Splendor. I said there were positive remarks of how they were taken care of. One such person has already come on this thread and spoke of it.

But no less a correct and factual spin. One such person does not a cruise ship make.

I just researched, and was quite surprised to see the number of US cities the Merida airport can serve . . .

Albany, NY (ALB), Baltimore, MD (BWI), Boston, MA (BOS), Chicago Midway, IL (MDW), Chicago O'Hare, IL (ORD), Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky (CVG), Dallas/Fort Worth, TX (DFW), Denver, CO (DEN), Detroit Wayne County, MI (DTW), Fresno Yosemite (FAT), George Bush Intercontinental (IAH), Hartford/Springfield, CT (BDL), Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta (ATL), Kansas City Int'l, MO (MCI), Las Vegas, NV (LAS), Los Angeles, CA (LAX), Memphis (MEM), Miami, FL (MIA), Minneapolis/St. Paul (MSP), Nashville, TN (BNA), New Orleans, LA (MSY), New York JFK (JFK), Ontario, CA (ONT), Orlando, FL (MCO), Philadelphia, PA (PHL), Phoenix, AZ (PHX), Portland, OR (PDX), Raleigh-Durham, NC (RDU), Richmond, VA (RIC), Rochester, NY (ROC), Sacramento, CA (SMF), Saint Louis, MO (STL), Salt Lake City, UT (SLC), San Antonio, TX (SAT), San Diego, CA (SAN), San Francisco, CA (SFO), South Padre Is. Intl (BRO), Washington Dulles, DC (IAD)

Wow, that is interesting. Would not have thought that. That will make getting planes there easier to coordinate.

What an insensitive comment. I am assuming you have never been adrift at sea on a cruise ship operating on emergency power for long periods of time. There are very limited amenities - air conditioning, showers, restrooms, hot or cold food, lights come to mind. My guess is that you would not want to be on Triumph tonight. Hattiesburg has been devastated by tornadoes tonight, so that is a real fair comparison. Did you say you were making Lemonade or Kool-Aid? Wise up!

Insensitive? I like to think POSITIVE. And that is what I was doing. Take a high leap off your soap box.

Back to Elation. Assuming all cabins are full, but if the ship was not at capacity, would they or could they somehow take on the frailest of Triumph passengers? Could this be an option?

What is Elation's home port?

NOLA. Actually a very feasible option for those in essential need of power, it's about a six hour drive from Houston.

This does not take into consideration the logistics of transferring passengers, though. Not an easy task for healthy, able-bodied individuals!

Really crappy situation all around for thousands of people for various reasons. :(

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I'm sure they will...it's still a lot of people to fly unexpectedly from Mexico to the US!

True and it is the whole package which makes the package so daunting. Getting 3100 people and their luggage from a small community pier to an airport to planes to Houston (I assume) then bussed to Galveston..... Ouch.

I agree with the people who have said if you have a cruise coming up on the Triumph in the next couple months you should be working on contingency plans. I have a feeling that Triumph's drydock just got moved to 2013.

Yep....the phrase "out of commission" comes to mind. The phrase "preventative maintenance" is another good one.

Back to Elation. Assuming all cabins are full, but if the ship was not at capacity, would they or could they somehow take on the frailest of Triumph passengers? Could this be an option?

Doubtful. When at sea, the water can be a little more choppy and make transfers like this more difficult. Perhaps a scenario if water was very calm, but I still doubt it. Part of the "emergency power" is probably reserved for the medical facility on board.

The Elation sails out of New Orleans and won't be back until Thursday the 14th.

The frailest passengers are the very riskiest to try to move from one ship to another on the high seas and this would be a huge liability for Carnival and probably riskier than having them remain on the Triumph till the 13th.

Archived