Fire on Carnival Triumph. No engines, running on emergency generators.

nixonzm

If a ship is adrift at sea and running on emergency power, it is not a good situation onboard.

Indeed. I was aboard the Carnival Liberty several years ago when we lost all power and were adrift at sea one whole evening. it was not a good situation (oh and nothing from "generous" Carnival for that debacle)

I read the note that CC has posted and it says with a 5pm est update that the officers were trying to asses the matter and trying to regain power. So they have no power. They are just dead in the water like the Splendor was? The emergency power is running electricity on the ship. Is that correct.

Sorry you were not notified that your ship was going to have a fire. I am sure Carnival is trying their best to deal with the fire, passengers and how they are going to return to Galveston. I am sure they did not let this happen just so you are out of money.

Thank goodness everyone is okay and no injuries.

At no point did I insinuate they did it just to cost me money. I thought I made it pretty clear that I was simply annoyed at the fact that they were just kind of up in the air with no sense of direction in regards to if there will even be a cruise for those departing tomorrow.

They say "don't change your plans just yet". It's like. .C'mon down, but no idea if we will actually cruise or not. I have to believe we are not the only ones to travel down today, the day before the cruise. All I am saying is if they don't cruise or the cruise itinerary is severely different, that i hope they cover travel costs for those already in the port city.

This is not a week's notice. I've seen them cover the same costs for similar instances. Just hoping they do it again, but thank you for your worthless reply.

I am thankful no one was hurt! I am hoping for a quick return for those passengers on board.

I am not a cheerleader for any cruise line. I am not happy with many of the changes CCL has instituted. I love cruising and love what I get for the money on CCL. However, I have been said to see the glass half full many times.

I am concerned about quality maintenance on each ship. I can't help but believe that when they work on a problem on a ship (propulsion or whatever) they think they get it fixed.

I have had problems with one of my cars. I have been with the same auto repair company for years and I know that when a problem persists after having been "repaired," my technician is frustrated too!

I can imagine the outcry on CC if CCL cancelled several upcoming cruises to repair a problem on a ship. People would be asking for compensation for their flights, hotel reservations, and probably time off scheduled. There does not seem to be a great solution. I have to think they hope that each time they are fixing the problem.

I am sorry for all the disappointed cruisers scheduled for trips in the next couple of weeks. I hope it works out for all of you.

In reference to contacting Carnival now, if you speak to five different customer service reps you most likely will be told five different scenarios about this current incident. I'm pretty sure that they are now getting crushed with calls about this serious setback for the company. Hopefully no one was seriously injured and the ship only received minor damage and that they get back to Galveston safely. A large tugboat is enroute to tow the ship back to Galveston.

Hoping all onboard are as comfortable as possible. Also that we wait for more information before we assume what the conditions are onboard. Otherwise rumors will spread that they are serving Spam on crackers. (The last part is an attempt at some light humor on a post which has gotten a little heated).

Wait! WHAT!?! there were crackers?

I read the note that CC has posted and it says with a 5pm est update that the officers were trying to asses the matter and trying to regain power. So they have no power. They are just dead in the water like the Splendor was? The emergency power is running electricity on the ship. Is that correct.

My understanding is the ship has emergency power for very basic functions, but no power to move the ship or run the medium-higher duty machinery.

I feel really bad for the passengers who are on the ship at this time and also the passengers who were to board the Triumph tomorrow.

However, if Carnival announced that she was sea worthy tomorrow, I would not go. I wonder since there was a fire problem today would the insurance company allow you to cancel anyway and get a full refund.

Call me crazy but I would never want to deliberately sail on a ship knowing or hoping it could break down or catch fire just to get a free cruise. Your outcome might not be as fortunate as the passengers were today.

I agree. I can't imagine why anyone would feel it is fair or decent to take back the gratuities for services they received. The crew isn't to blame!

A couple of years ago my sister and I spent an extra night on our Carnival cruise due to fog and high seas in Tampa. She was very ill so we were completely consumed with getting her off the ship and home but despite that we thought Carnival did a great job in entertaining, feeding etc. on our extra night on board. In retrospect I realize that the entire crew most likely lost their day of gratuity from the folks that boarded a day late and I can't imagine many, if any, thought to add an extra days tips to their bill. Crew was amazing, brought all of our bags back up to our cabins, served us dinner, etc.

Carnival told us (as of 5 p.m. EST) the ship is still situated 150 miles off the coast of the Yucatan Peninsula, where the incident occurred this morning. We're awaiting additional details on exact coordinates, what the emergency power can operate, and where the ship would be tugged if it had to be tugged. Stay tuned.

I mean, if you are that concerned with their well being you could charter a helicopter and go pick them up one by one....but me? I will do what I can to help Carnival get over this by looking to book another cruise ;)

You ARE kidding, RIGHT?

Are you in any way concerned about Carnivals negligence concerning the Triumph over the last several months? Propulsion issues over and over and now THIS?

I wonder how those 3000-odd paying passengers feel right now? Those that took their vacation time....their hard-earned money...for THIS?? I wonder how eager they are to book another CCL cruise....or ANY cruise for that matter?

Only a matter of time before someone puts a CCL positive spin on this I suppose.

I feel just awful for those passengers on that ship. So many different scenarios come into mind and I wouldn't want to be in their shoes at all. I can't imagine being stuck in the middle of ocean with no power. I pray for their safe voyage home.

I have always felt that cruising is a safe vacation, but hearing that this is the second time this has happened to a Carnival ship in a short space of time, I would hope that whomever governs the safety of passenger vessels leaving the US (because I hear it is not the TSA), would insist on a fleet wide mechanical and fire safety inspection of Carnival's engine rooms.

Liz

Archived