Fire on Carnival Triumph. No engines, running on emergency generators.

nixonzm

Concerned about price drops? Seriously?

Who said they were concerned/hoping for price drops? Let's face it, when something like this happens, people may cancel, thus sending the price down. I don't think anyone said they were expecting one, just decided to check since these sorts if events tend to send prices on a roller coaster ride.

Yeah, I checked. So what? I'm not mad there weren't any. What's wrong with checking?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I think Carnival is very generous when things go wrong. Full refund, gratuities, transportation. They were due back tomorrow correct? A little inconvenience for a free cruise. I sincerely hope the guests do not take back the gratuities. The crew is likely working double time. It is not their fault.

Our family was on board last week and we were having propulsion issues. I was kind of hoping another Splendor event was going to occur so all my charges were free. In anticipation, I booked another cruise on the first day thinking there is a small probability that we would get a refund if the ship broke down completely. ;-)

Clinty

I know my DH would also be worried if I was on the ship and he was at home and this was happening. Carnival's first priority is the safety of it's passengers. Hoping your wife will be home soon, safe and sound with a story to tell her family and friends.

i don't mean to be flip but how do you know that they have no running water or an active waste system. they probably don't have hot water, nor power in their cabins (not so fun for interior rooms). hasn't it only been a couple of hours since the fire? i don't think things have gotten to the critical stage, yet. why don't we wait it out and see what happens instead of being so quick to judge.

I agree!!

Doug

Nothing in life is guaranteed, stuff happens. I'm sure Carnival will do what they can to ensure their guests are taken care of. I have to shake my head at the people that think carnival should do everything including kiss these people's butt because something happened during the cruise. It's not like they planned to have a fire and inconvenience their guests. I know I would look at it as an adventure and make the best of it, and enjoy telling the story later.

I'm really interested in what the cause/source of the fire was. "Electrical" is too vague, being a mechanic. Obvious suspect is whatever caused an issue a few weeks ago or its repair. Did they ever release the full details of what caused the fire on the Splendor?

Electrical short between the two generators that supply all power to the ship.

Nothing in life is guaranteed, stuff happens. I'm sure Carnival will do what they can to ensure their guests are taken care of. I have to shake my head at the people that think carnival should do everything including kiss these people's butt because something happened during the cruise. It's not like they planned to have a fire and inconvenience their guests. I know I would look at it as an adventure and make the best of it, and enjoy telling the story later.

I agree with this BUT this ship has had problems that i know of since December and i do not understand why they continue to book cruises on her and not fix the problem! I was on her a week ago when we had to miss a port and stay overnight in another one so they could work on the problem. Not an issue for me since we had planned on staying on the ship in both ports anyway.

I am sitting at my aunt's house in Houston waiting to hear more. We drove down to visit before all 4 of us leave on the Triumph tomorrow. Sure hoping we still go, just want to get away. This will be our 5th cruise, 4th on Carnival.

I dont think you are going.......SORRY

Wonder if they will turn the triumph into the windchime:confused: I can,t wait for the sunshine and hope the do more rebuilds. And yes carnival always tries to be fair when there is a problem. Not like that other line I have been on. I wouldn't mind being stranded and getting my cruise refunded PLUS another cruise.

I just want to win the grab your destiny contest

Its sad.

We were on the Glory, along side Triumph in Cozumel a couple months ago. Looking at the ship, it was apparent she wasn't in the best of shape from the outside at least.

Further, I keep reading time and time again about propulsion issues. Its starting to make me wonder about the maintenance of these ships or if a particular part of the Destiny/Conquest Class of ship has an oddity. I can't remember reading about propulsion issues on older Fantasy Class ships.

As an auto technician, I'm really curious about the specific cause/source of the fire. Anyone read the actual summary of what caused the Splendor fire?

Its sad.

We were on the Glory, along side Triumph in Cozumel a couple months ago. Looking at the ship, it was apparent she wasn't in the best of shape from the outside at least.

Further, I keep reading time and time again about propulsion issues. Its starting to make me wonder about the maintenance of these ships or if a particular part of the Destiny/Conquest Class of ship has an oddity. I can't remember reading about propulsion issues on older Fantasy Class ships.

As an auto technician, I'm really curious about the specific cause/source of the fire. Anyone read the actual summary of what caused the Splendor fire?

Big difference between propulsion problems (by the way, Fantasy class is different than conquest class) and and electrical fire in the generators that supply all power (including the engine room). Of course, we need to wait an see what happened and what needs to occur to get all back safely.

Just thinking aloud, and I wonder what some of you think...

I hate to even say this, but I'm starting to wonder if the cruiselines are deferring maintenance at the expense of passenger comfort and even safety to keep the ships sailing and generating revenue. I know people who were on the Triumph last month thought she was LONG overdue for drydock, then she has a propulsion problem, and now today the engine room fire.:(

Lest I be accused of bashing Carnival, it's not just Carnival...I think to some extent it's industry wide. We changed ships and itineraries for our Holland America 25th anniversary cruise because the reports of problems on the first ship we chose were overwhelming. I'm not talking about stained carpet or frayed upholstery...I'm talking about people who went 22 days through the Panama Canal last year without air conditioning, or without a toilet that flushed! :mad: That ship was just in drydock, but the air conditioning and plumbing weren't repaired. The general feeling among many HAL passengers is that a repair vs. a band-aid would have required more time out of the water than HAL wanted. :confused:

Am I crazy? I love cruising, but I'm a realist and I know companies have to watch the bottom line. I just hate to see major things that can impact comfort or safety being deferred to keep ships in the water. It seems like there are many more complaints about ship maintenance than there used to be, and as ships age they take a lot more effort and money to keep things operating properly.

I think Carnival is very generous when things go wrong. Full refund, gratuities, transportation. They were due back tomorrow correct? A little inconvenience for a free cruise. I sincerely hope the guests do not take back the gratuitites. The crew is likely working double time. It is not their fault.

I agree. I can't imagine why anyone would feel it is fair or decent to take back the gratuities for services they received. The crew isn't to blame!

Yeah, I was going to say someone on here received notification that tomorrow's sailing has been canceled...something on those lines....so sorry

I had mentioned on one of the threads that the Carnival rep told me tomorrow's sailing of the Triumph was cancelled. I just spent another 15 minutes or so with another rep who apologized, and said that was not completely accurate information.

They are providing an update at 5pm Central Standard Time as to what will occur with tomorrow's sailing - she said it may be that it is a modified shorter sailing, perhaps only 3 days.

Fingers crossed!

Just thinking aloud, and I wonder what some of you think...

I hate to even say this, but I'm starting to wonder if the cruiselines are deferring maintenance at the expense of passenger comfort and even safety to keep the ships sailing and generating revenue. I know people who were on the Triumph last month thought she was LONG overdue for drydock, then she has a propulsion problem, and now today the engine room fire.:(

Lest I be accused of bashing Carnival, it's not just Carnival...I think to some extent it's industry wide. We changed ships and itineraries for our Holland America 25th anniversary cruise because the reports of problems on the first ship we chose were overwhelming. I'm not talking about stained carpet or frayed upholstery...I'm talking about people who went 22 days through the Panama Canal last year without air conditioning, or without a toilet that flushed! :mad: That ship was just in drydock, but the air conditioning and plumbing weren't repaired. The general feeling among many HAL passengers is that a repair vs. a band-aid would have required more time out of the water than HAL wanted. :confused:

Am I crazy? I love cruising, but I'm a realist and I know companies have to watch the bottom line. I just hate to see major things that can impact comfort or safety being deferred to keep ships in the water. It seems like there are many more complaints about ship maintenance than there used to be, and as ships age they take a lot more effort and money to keep things operating properly.

You raise some good questions. Putting a ship in dry dock costs them hundreds of thousands (if not millions) for every week it is out of service. You can make parallels for the airline industry as well. Not sure what the right answer is, just some thoughts. Don't know that CCL does anything different than any others in terms of maintenance. I would think it is in their best interest to keep all of their ships in tip top shape (mechanical and otherwise). Just saying.....

Hoping all onboard are as comfortable as possible. Also that we wait for more information before we assume what the conditions are onboard. Otherwise rumors will spread that they are serving Spam on crackers. (The last part is an attempt at some light humor on a post which has gotten a little heated).

Not trying to upset anyone but if there was a significant engine room fire and the ship is now dead in the water except for emergency backup power for essential operations I'm pretty sure that the next few scheduled cruises most likely will be cancelled. When the Carnival Splendor had it's incident a few years ago Carnival first advised the public that the ship would be out of service for approximately one month. If my memory serves me right the ship was out of service for over three months due to the extensive damage. Another poster stated that the Triumph's schedule for the rest of February has all ready been removed from Carnival's website.

I had mentioned on one of the threads that the Carnival rep told me tomorrow's sailing of the Triumph was cancelled. I just spent another 15 minutes or so with another rep who apologized, and said that was not completely accurate information.

They are providing an update at 5pm Central Standard Time as to what will occur with tomorrow's sailing - she said it may be that it is a modified shorter sailing, perhaps only 3 days.

Fingers crossed!

Crossing fingers for you too! Hopefully you'll hear something definite soon... Praying they get her back with all onboard safe...it's an unfortunate, uneasy feeling when you hear of things like this happening and I can't imagine if I had a loved one onboard...it would make me nuts! i am really glad no one was injured, or worse...

We saw a few things inside that pointed to needing a good cleaning and some TLC, but nothing that was a cruise killer. I genuinely feel for the people who have cruises booked on her tomorrow and possibly in the near future, but I think they need to dry dock her now, not in 2014.

Archived