Fire on Carnival Triumph. No engines, running on emergency generators.

nixonzm

They will be flown back with the others. Our embassy in Mexico is I am sure well aware of the situation and will be on hand to assist those with out passports. They will make sure they are back in the US along with the others. They will probably issue temp passports.

This is so different than a left behind pier runner. In medical emergencies, don't they expidite a passport once the person has stabilized?

Its probably no different than anyone else that requires an emergency passport to get home. There may be added paperwork for them, possibly fees too...but they will eventually be processed with the right documentation to get home.

It will all be at Carnivals expense I bet.

They've been without power since this morning!

That means they will be out of power Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday until they reach Progreso because I'm assuming that acknowledging the fact that they have to be towed is also suggesting they won't get power back!

My wife said the conditions were pretty terrible already, where and how the hell do they take care of the bathroom situation!

Not cruise related but I have seen it too. It was a sad situation however. The Army worked with the American and German Embassies and allowed a mother who didn't have a passport to fly to Germany to be with her son who was dying. He had been brought back to Landsthul Regional Medical Center in Germany from Iraq where he had been shot. So it can happen. The embassy will in extreme cases or in this case - no fault of the passengers- make exceptions. I just hate it for the passengers...its a very disappointing thing to have your cruise canceled. But at least all are save and in no danger.

HMM towed to Progresso,Mx, what about those people who still dont have a passport & cruise only on the birth certificate??? Fingers crossed for all:confused:

I'm sure they will be able to get back fine. I'm sure the governments and Carnival will be able to see to it that it shouldn't be an issue. I wouldn't be surprised if Carnival has already chartered planes for the passengers.

The ship itself though is another issue. My guess would have the passengers disembark, then getting the ship operational enough to limp back to Galveston or the nearest dry-dock(if needed). Obviously, this is costing them a lot of money and I'm sure they want to fix it "right" this time at whatever the cost and or delay of future cruises.

They've been without power since this morning!

That means they will be out of power Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday until they reach Progreso because I'm assuming that acknowledging the fact that they have to be towed is also suggesting they won't get power back!

My wife said the conditions were pretty terrible already, where and how the hell do they take care of the bathroom situation!

Maybe someone that was on the Splendor will answer that question. To me this would be the worst part.

Anyone know how big the airport is in Progreso?

The closest major airport to Progreso, Mexico is Manuel Crescencio Rejón International Airport (MID / MMMD). This airport is in Merida, Mexico and is 48 km from the center of Progreso, Mexico.

I like to make Lemonade out of lemons. Just checked the weather for Merida, closest city to where the Triumph would be, no rain, high of 85 low of 70s for the next few days. No one injured. Getting supplies. A total refund, etc.

I would again like to say I would rather be on the Triumph right now instead of Hattiesburg, MS.

(I would like to say if anyone has family in this area, I am praying for them)

What an insensitive comment. I am assuming you have never been adrift at sea on a cruise ship operating on emergency power for long periods of time. There are very limited amenities - air conditioning, showers, restrooms, hot or cold food, lights come to mind. My guess is that you would not want to be on Triumph tonight. Hattiesburg has been devastated by tornadoes tonight, so that is a real fair comparison. Did you say you were making Lemonade or Kool-Aid? Wise up!

They said the Carnival Elation is on the scene. Does it have passengers on it now or is it empty? Since it has power I thought they could transfer passengers over to it via the tenders. Passengers that need electricity (they use breathing machines or other medical equipment). Or the elderly and those who are going to have a tough time surviving 3 days in the heat. The ship is gonna stink to high heaven with no working toilets and being so hot.

I have several friends in the ship, and was actually just on Carnival's site today looking to book a quick trip on Triumph in April.

A lot of cruisers out of Galveston drive there so assuming they will fly into Houston, they will then have to take an hour trip back to Galveston to get their cars.

I can't imagine how bad it is going to get over the next few days. Cold food. No showers and rapidly declining bathrooms.

All the passengers can do is stay positive.

They said the Carnival Elation is on the scene. Does it have passengers on it now or is it empty? Since it has power I thought they could transfer passengers over to it via the tenders. Passengers that need electricity (they use breathing machines or other medical equipment). Or the elderly and those who are going to have a tough time surviving 3 days in the heat. The ship is gonna stink to high heaven with no working toilets and being so hot.

The very-much doubt the Elation is empty.

The Elation holds roughly 700 less people than the Triumph. Not all the pax/crew would be able to transfer even if this was the case.

The Carnival Elation most likely has a full ship of passengers of their own. I doubt they will attempt to transfer passengers from the Triumph to the Elation due to the risk of tendering in the open sea's.

It will not be a fun trip back to Progresso with very limited power.

The closest major airport to Progreso, Mexico is Manuel Crescencio Rejón International Airport (MID / MMMD). This airport is in Merida, Mexico and is 48 km from the center of Progreso, Mexico.

Thanks, that in and of itself will require a fair amount of coordination. Transfers, arranging flights etc., not an easy task.

Archived