Fire on Carnival Triumph. No engines, running on emergency generators.

nixonzm

Terrible day for the cruise lines. Besides this Triumph problem the AP is reporting 5 people killed in the Canary Islands while doing a real life boat drill on some European cruise ship.

the other incident today was a crew lifeboat drill on the Thomson Majesty. Very sad.

Beverly

I think Carnival is very generous when things go wrong. Full refund, gratuities, transportation. They were due back tomorrow correct? A little inconvenience for a free cruise. I sincerely hope the guests do not take back the gratuitites. The crew is likely working double time. It is not their fault.

A "little" inconvenience? The ship is dead in the water and running on emergency power. They have asked all guests to stay in the public areas which means more than likely they have no AC, no running water in the cabins and no flushing toilets. Now add to the fact that the ship will more than likely be towed in which will take several days. Have you ever tried to sleep in a cabin with no AC? This will be more than a "little" inconvenience. Ask those who were on the Splendor when she had her engine room fire.

Carnival is not being generous. They don't have a choice here. They are being pro-active as the media is going to eat Carnival up on this one. The media will remind the public of the Splendor incident. Also, I doubt the people on board are worried about gratuities at the moment.

If the ship sails upon return, of course it will be modified. It's already noted it won't be back on schedule.

O yes I know that but I mean do I have to cancel ASAP go get my refund or can I wait and see what the modified schedule is and if I'm not happy with it I cancel or is it too late

The next departure is likely going to be cancelled so it will not be an issue. All February sailings on Triumph have disappeared from carnival.com.

Feb sailings gone? Wow....wonder if that means a quick dry dock is planned, which at this point I think is a good idea....and if so, what usually happens to those booked during that time?:eek:

So it's either cancel now or get stick with modified cruise? Or can I wait and see what they have to say before I decide to get a refund?

I wouldnt wait. A shortened cruise on an originally 4 days cruise? Do you really want to go out for..maybe...2 days? Take your $$ and rebook something else.

I am sorry to hear about your situation, I would be devestated, but getting my $ back and cost of transportation would take most of my tears away. They are obviously doing the best they can.

Hoping for a safe return for all passangers on board.

A "little" inconvenience? The ship is dead in the water and running on emergency power. They have asked all guests to stay in the public areas which means more than likely they have no AC, no running water in the cabins and no flushing toilets. Now add to the fact that the ship will more than likely be towed in which will take several days. Have you ever tried to sleep in a cabin with no AC? This will be more than a "little" inconvenience. Ask those who were on the Splendor when she had her engine room fire.

Carnival is not being generous. They don't have a choice here. They are being pro-active as the media is going to eat Carnival up on this one. The media will remind the public of the Splendor incident. Also, I doubt the people on board are worried about gratuities at the moment.

i don't mean to be flip but how do you know that they have no running water or an active waste system. they probably don't have hot water, nor power in their cabins (not so fun for interior rooms). hasn't it only been a couple of hours since the fire? i don't think things have gotten to the critical stage, yet. why don't we wait it out and see what happens instead of being so quick to judge.

No drop for us either on March or May.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I'm also glad everyone is safe....this really does suck for those with ground/air travel...:(

I just checked prices for our May sailing on Triumph:eek:....same price...

Was joking, a little, but will probably check everyday.

i don't mean to be flip but how do you know that they have no running water or an active waste system. they probably don't have hot water, nor power in their cabins (not so fun for interior rooms). hasn't it only been a couple of hours since the fire? i don't think things have gotten to the critical stage, yet. why don't we wait it out and see what happens instead of being so quick to judge.

Sounds like Splendor. The passengers are advised to be "outside" somewhere. That infers no power etc.

Feb sailings gone? Wow....wonder if that means a quick dry dock is planned' date=' which at this point I think is a good idea....and if so, what usually happens to those booked during that time?:eek:[/quote']

They will be offered options for future cruises. There is past history on this type of thing with the Carnival Splendor three years ago. It is not a good thing there is no power. If this persists they will be towed by tg to a port, probably Gaveston. That would take a long time.

For those wondering on discounts over the next sailings, I wold be much more concerned if there will be any sailings over the next cople of months. Much is to known, but it could easily take a significant period of time to fix the problem. Thank God no one was injured.

Seems to be a lot of speculation and very little in the way of facts. :rolleyes:

I would have loved to have been on Splendor then and Triumph now. A free cruise now and a free cruise later for a little inconvenience. ;)

Carnival is more than generous and typically goes far above and beyond anything required by the cruise contract. :)

I wouldnt wait. A shortened cruise on an originally 4 days cruise? Do you really want to go out for..maybe...2 days? Take your $$ and rebook something else.

I am sorry to hear about your situation, I would be devestated, but getting my $ back and cost of transportation would take most of my tears away. They are obviously doing the best they can.

Hoping for a safe return for all passangers on board.

It was a 5 day...o well ima book on the magic

I wonder if this fire has anything to do with the recent repairs that were made a couple weeks ago when she lost propulsion? :confused:

We were on the 1-28 cruise that missed Cozumel because of propulsion problems, we did an overnight in Progresso so they could work on it. We were doing a b2b for the next week and all went well on that sailing (2-2)

Doug

Based on the description in Carnival's press release (and Sarge is right - lots of speculation right now), it sounds as if they deployed the CO2 fire suppression system. This is never good; the engine room must be evacuated completely (the CO2 will kill you along with the fire) and then it needs to be completely vented. My son the soon-to-be ship's engineer isn't holding out much hope for the next cruise.:(

Unlike the Splendor they have some power, the emergency generators are working, at least that is what is being reported. The Splendor had no power, other than for the bridge and PA system for almost 2 days.

The media (and the trolls) will have a field day with this. I feel bad for the people with bookings for the next couple of months.

I completely agree! My wife is on this cruise and while I understand there are no injuries I also don't care about you worrying about your discounts on the next cruise.

Why don't you start a new thread for your problems and let some of us here who have family on the ship discuss updates we have heard.

Anyways: A tugboat has been dispatched to their location!

I am sure the welfare of all aboard is their number one priority. Emergency power means absolutely no propulsion amount other things. Have you talked to your wife?

Archived