Fire on Carnival Triumph. No engines, running on emergency generators.

nixonzm

The DOL can't stop a company from letting an employee go as long as the reason has nothing to do with "protected class" issues. You're kidding yourself if you think they can. I'm guessing you live in one of the very few states where employees have decent rights. I assure you that isn't the way it works in most of the country.

You're definitely right about that. My state is a "Right To Work" state, where you can be fired for any reason whatsoever, as long as it doesn't fall into those protected reasons you mention. Many years ago, I was fired from a customer service job because the owner didn't want employees that wore glasses being the company's "public face." And yes, the Department of Labor said it was allowed.

I read today that the MS. Carnival Triumph is adrift with only minimal power after a fire occured onboard the ship. It is hoped that the Splendor will be safely towed to a port in Mexico. Fortunately there has been no loss of life.

Several years ago there was a similar situation involving the MS. Carnival Splendor. In addition, Costa lines which is owned and operated by Carnival experienced the near sinking and total loss of one of its ships, the MS. Costa Condordia off the coast of Italy.

We have also heard of numerous propulsion problems on board several Carnival ships.

Carnival has made significant cutbacks to keep the price of sailing down. But are these cutbacks also affecting the safe operation of their ships?

Several years ago I had sailed on one of the smaller Carnival ships on a 4 day cruise. The ship was very overcrowded and during the lifeboat drill there was much confusion as to what lifeboat station the passengers were supposed to report to. I got the impression that there weren't enough lifeboats for the passengers.

Does Carnival have to look at its operations and make major changes?

ducklite, its just knowing ones rights and rules/laws. Trust me when a company gets rid of an employee, firstly its important that they have spoken to the person as to the situation, put it in wriiting and give them notice/warning.

I guess you can say one must stand their ground and know their rights and how to deal with situations. On the other hand, putting this all aside, if one looses their job this way, then its best they leave that job anyways, not worth working for a lousy place like that.

I agree that it would be lousy, but the fact remains that someone who misses three or more days of work as a result of this could be lawfully terminated, and no DOL complaint is going to remedy that. The exception would be if they are in one of a handful of states with exceptional employee rights or covered under a CBA.

In some parts of this country, jobs are still very scarce and job loss could be ruinous.

Or maybe the first hand accounts texted from pax onboard?:rolleyes:

When that lifeboat accident happened this past week some people reported (who claimed to be onboard) texted 5 passengers were killed instead of the 5 unfortunate crew members who lost their lives. Are these the type of "first hand" reports you're referring to?

Or maybe the locks' default setting if the power goes out is "unlocked". Otherwise how would the stewards check the cabins during an evacuation, to be sure no one was inside, or reach someone who might not be able to get out under their own power, if the main and backup power were out?

An Alexander Munday dream

Can you open your cabin door, with the power off?

I don't know if anyone answered, but they run on battery.

So again, how are they making calls?

Not calls. Texts. Search the thread for clinty76's post and you'll find one.

Maybe they connected thru the Elation when she was alongside? or satellite? The fact that we aren't sure how the communication went through, doesn't refute the accounts of people who got texts from loved ones aboard.

Strange no further news updates since last night.

I'm sure the legal and PR departments are working hard on putting the correct spin on any news they release. Considering that anything they say could have an effect on their stock price, they will be very careful.

[quote=stevenr597;37072349]

Does Carnival have to look at its operations and make major changes?

Welcome to todays world of cruising. All the cruise lines have cut back in the name of profit.. Being the largest cruise line company just means that there are more people taking pot shots at you...

Dennis

525 days at sea

46 cruises

12 cruise lines

T/P, T/A, Hawaii, Central & South America, New Zealand & South Pacific, Rio/ Amazon, Alaska

For me personally....its a cruise in early February its not hot, can be comfortable without ac this time of year, I would have balcony stateroom so open my door it be very nice, extra days on the ship/at sea and cruise fair returned or credit back I be very happy.

Did you miss the part about no one is permitted in their stateroom. Everyone is packed into public areas atop the ship. Oh, and going to bathrooms in buckets and bags

I agree that it would be lousy, but the fact remains that someone who misses three or more days of work as a result of this could be lawfully terminated, and no DOL complaint is going to remedy that. The exception would be if they are in one of a handful of states with exceptional employee rights or covered under a CBA.

In some parts of this country, jobs are still very scarce and job loss could be ruinous.

and this firing had nothing to do with the cruise line industry, right? so why is it an issue?

we can't begin to know about the 3100 stories aboard the triumph right now and speculating on worse case scenario seems a bit pre-mature to me.

oh, by the way, life isn't fair and as much as we, as bleacher coaches, can come up with a thousand reasons the play failed the fact is that we are talking about a real situation with limited facts at hand. you can blame the team owner all you want for the resulting bad play but the fact the running back tripped over an unseen rip on the playing surface is still just an anomaly.

I'm afraid your'e wrong on this one. During the fire they had all passengers report to their muster stations. Once the fire was contained, passengers were asked to return to their rooms, to pack their belonging,to place their suitcases outside their doors,and then to return to public areas. The reason this was done is because, at the time, they "people in charge" were not aware of the severity of the damage, believed the ship would be able to navigate back to Galveston where a few repairs could be made and the next sailing would only be delayed by a small amount of time. The "people in charge" assumed that worst case scenario the passengers would be stranded in public areas for several hours, but then they would be able to disembark the ship in Galveston. In order to prevent passengers from having to go back to their rooms once in port they had them pack their bags, and the crew moved them to wherever they take them prior to debarkation. this was done to "benefit" customers on board, and (as far as i am concerened) to prevent the next cruise from having to leave any later.

Source: mother is on board. Called the number, was asked what her name was, what my relation was to her, and if i knew her address. They then proceeded to answer and question that I had, as they should to cover their ass legally.

Now when we have the correct information we stop speculating and deal with fact. You should have stated this since the beginning. They always tell to put medications on carry-on bags so guests should not have any in their luggage but there area always people that will do anyway.

The importance of having a valid passport. JMHO

well that will make it easier for some pax, but they will probably still have to wait for the others to get through the embassy anyway.

I would imagine that they will need several planes to transport everyone back home or what they could do is get those with PP out ASAP and then just fly back and pick up those that will need to spend time at the Embassy getting emergency PPs. If PPs are even going to be required in a situation like this. Because in a situation like this possessing good common sense goes a long way and let's hope that government officials will use common sense.

I would hope they have chartered at least 5 planes that can hold enough pax to do this in a timely manner.

When that lifeboat accident happened this past week some people reported (who claimed to be onboard) texted 5 passengers were killed instead of the 5 unfortunate crew members who lost their lives. Are these the type of "first hand" reports you're referring to?

First hand means directly observed. Unless the texts you refer to were by eyewitnesses it was secondhand. And even then it's not easy to distinguish pax from crew at a distance.

Whereas, identifying a nonflushing toilet and nonworking AC is pretty easy.

Not sure if this these issues are related to ccl or the industry as a whole

One thing I do know , I never booked a an inside room and never will

Ships happens and it can happen to any line

I would never get on a ship being down low and not having a balcony , let alone being in a room with more than two peeps

It's got to suck big time

This is why we get a balcony too but apparently passengers aren't allowed in their staterooms.

...you can blame the team owner all you want for the resulting bad play but the fact the running back tripped over an unseen rip on the playing surface is still just an anomaly.

Your analogy is off... it's more like the running back's shoe came apart after having had issues for the last two months.

Don't know why you want to give Carnival a free pass on this.

This is why we get a balcony too but apparently passengers aren't allowed in their staterooms.

how do you know passengers aren't allowed in their staterooms NOW. no one on this board, that i am aware of, is it constant communication with ANYONE on the ship and a single text from 18 hours ago MAY NOT be the current situation. this game of telephone has passed into the ludicrous situation.

And how many times will we be "told" there's no useable toilets, no A/C etc. It's not like we didn't know. How did our relatives of yore ever make it thru no hot water, showering daily, no A/C., outhouses vs toilets etc.

I'm not saying these people are comfortable in any way, but down the road, they'll remember they spent those uncomfortable days with no modern conveniences...and survived.

outhouses...there is the key

our ancestors could go anywhere they pleased..the woods..a ditch..etc..

These pax don't have that choice.

geez, I don't even use the public bathrooms on a ship to start with, I can't imagine having to use a bucket in one of them.

Of course that is if you want privacy because I gues if you don't care you could go anywhere.

There will be alot of constipated pax onboard IMHO

Archived