Which port for best Salmon Bake?

AzEileen

Which port has the best outdoor salmon bake? We will be in Juneau, Skagway, Fairbanks,Denali, Anchorage. We leave May 25, return June 7. We will also have several stops in the Yukon (Whitehorse, Dawson) on our Holland America cruisetour.

Thanks.

Since no one has provided a comparison of various salmon bakes, I thought I would provide info regarding the one in Fairbanks.

The salmon bake at Pioneer Park is locally owned, and if my memory is correct opened in the late 1970s. Again, if my memory is correct, it was modeled after one in Juneau open at the time. The original menu included salmon, halibut and ribs, and so the side dishes were very much items you would find at a picnic (ie, baked beans, coleslaw, potato salad and so forth). After years of experimenting with various plates (ie, unlimited salmon, one serving of halibut and no ribs for $X.00 as opposed to one serving of salmon, unlimited halibut and one serving of ribs for $Y.00 -- with the number of combinations you can imagine how confusing this was), they settled on an unlimited all you care to eat offering. About a decade ago they dropped the ribs and substituted prime rib instead, but kept the side dishes (it just seems odd not to have baked potatoes with prime rib). Due to the price of halibut two years ago they dropped the halibut and substituted Alaskan cod. There is covered indoor seating, and the buffet lines have some cover, but this is a much better experience during a nice warm evening. They also have contracts with a number of motor coach tours, and so can be very crowded.

I checked their website, and the 2012 price was $32.95 for an adult. I live in Fairbanks, and I find this high priced for what they offer. Salmon is served in almost every restaurant in Fairbanks. In my opinion the best seafood is at Chena's Bar and Grill, the Pumphouse and Pike's Landing restaurants. At those three restaurants you are served, have cloth napkins and the meal will likely be less than $32.95. In all fairness to the Salmon Bake I have observed some people eating a tremendous amount of food and I suspect the size of the average meal might be surprising.

Archived