Jewel of the Seas 1/10/13 - Suite Sailing, a Belated Review with Photos

We sailed pretty much on time at 4:30, we went under the bridge about 6:40-6:45. It was pretty cool, I would like to see it in a little more light.

We sailed at 5 and hit it at 7. I will watch your video tonight from home, but if you want to see how that looked in the daylight do a search on youtube for JEWEL SUNSHINE SKYWAY BRIDGE and if needed for by date and look around April/May of 2012. I think my user name is wmccall -

From this point forward I'm going to drop the timeline review and just review by subject. Partially because I don't remember and partially because I think it can get tedious to read.

First Up - Dining

As I stated previously we chose MTD for this cruise. We have always done early seating on our prior cruises and I thought this would be a good opportunity to try it. Plus it worked out well for our viewing of the bridge passing.

When RC first went to MTD one of my concerns was whether or not the service would be compromised. On this particular ship I can confidently say no. The first night we had the late seating and I have never had dinner so fast in the MDR before.

Each night we had a 4 top to ourselves. The first night we were toward the back but the second night we were given a table right on the glass. Our waiter, Peter, and assistant waiter, Jesus, did a great job and the third and fourth night we asked for them again. Each night we were given the same table with no wait whatsoever.

I did have reservations for each night, 6:15 or 6:30 for nights 2,3 & 4, but even then the line for those without reservations was short or non-existent. In fact it appeared to me that MTD was being under utilized on our cruise as there was often empty tables and I never saw a line at the desk. One night we arrived about 15 minutes late as we spent a little too much time conversing in the Concierge Lounge. It was no problem and they had our same table waiting for us.

Food quality is subjective but I always enjoy the food and this cruise was no different. It was nice to have the new menus as, even though we don't sail as much as some, we had several cruises with the same menus.

We used the WJ for lunch, which always had a diverse selection and was always tasty. We always ate in the outdoor seating area, an area that seemed to be a secret to most until the last day.

For breakfast we enjoyed our Suite perk. Made to order breakfast in Chops. Ever morning we went to Chops around 9:30 for breakfast. Twice we got seated beside the window for a nice breakfast with a view. One thing about Chops, when you ask for bacon they gave you plenty. I had my yearly quota for bacon I think. :)

Keith! YOUR photos are FABULOUS! You certainly could do work for Royal Caribbean. What kind of camera do you have? On the shot at the bridge at night, did you use a tripod? Thanks in advance.

A few more miscellaneous photos:

Artwork

IMG_3583.jpg

Outdoor Windjammer seating

IMG_3840.jpg

The Centrum during the 70's Dance Party

IMG_3940.jpg

The Centrum

IMG_3970.jpg

Keith! YOUR photos are FABULOUS! You certainly could do work for Royal Caribbean. What kind of camera do you have? On the shot at the bridge at night, did you use a tripod? Thanks in advance.

I have a Canon 7D. No tripod, it would only work for pictures on the ship since the ship is moving anything external to it is moving relative to it. I used my 24-105mm F4 L series lens w/ image stabilization. The ISO was set at 3200 and the exposure time was 1/13 sec. The picture after we passed the bridge was at 6400 ISO, 1/5 sec. I cleaned the noise in Lightroom.

• 1 month later...

Archived