Rent or Bring Your Own Mobility Scooter ?

J&B in GA

Will soon be sailing on the Star Princess and will be requiring a mobility scooter for the first time. I was wondering if you prefer to rent or bring your own mobility scooter. I have found a reasonably priced one on the web, which would basically pay for itself after renting one on 2 cruises.

Also, the one I'm considering purchasing (a 3-wheel) is 22" at it's widest point, basically between the two rear tires. We're not in an accessible cabin, so was concerned about door clearance. Could not locate anything on Princess' website, so called Princess and was told the standard door clearance for a mini-suite is 24", so it should fit through, right ? :confused:

Best rental quote I found was from "Special Needs at Sea" and the scooter will be waiting for me in my stateroom when I embark. Any thoughts or suggestions.

Thanks to all who reply.

It will probably be a tight squeeze. Although the door is rated at 24 inches, it is my perception that they give you the edge to edge dimensions which are not the useable dimensions. My DH has measured our doors and when traveling with our AB daughter and grandchildren their standard cabin doors have had 21.5 to 22 inches of useable space.

Brittany C

I’m in the same boat LOL. April will be the first time I’ll need to bring a scooter on a cruise or any trip. I do have a go go Elite 4 wheeler. I have thought of bringing mine. But after much thought I decided to research a travel scooter. I had the Travelscoot in mind. But my DW with her infinite wisdom felt it looked just not comfortable and the foot pegs concerned her. She showed me one called the Luggie. It folds up to the size of a large suit case. I looked at it and just kept telling my DW no I didn’t like it. But I looked at it some more. Did a lot of research and the more I read the more I like it. I ordered it. It was shipped last Monday and arrived Friday. I’ve had a few days to play with it and I hate to say it but she was right, AGAIN. God I hate what she is right, and she is aways right. After 33 years I haven’t learned to just give in right away and say yes dear. Because I know she will ultimately be right.

So I vote take your own. You may need one at home in the future and you’ll have one.

Kevin

• 11 months later...
Brittany C

I’m in the same boat LOL. April will be the first time I’ll need to bring a scooter on a cruise or any trip. I do have a go go Elite 4 wheeler. I have thought of bringing mine. But after much thought I decided to research a travel scooter. I had the Travelscoot in mind. But my DW with her infinite wisdom felt it looked just not comfortable and the foot pegs concerned her. She showed me one called the Luggie. It folds up to the size of a large suit case. I looked at it and just kept telling my DW no I didn’t like it. But I looked at it some more. Did a lot of research and the more I read the more I like it. I ordered it. It was shipped last Monday and arrived Friday. I’ve had a few days to play with it and I hate to say it but she was right, AGAIN. God I hate what she is right, and she is aways right. After 33 years I haven’t learned to just give in right away and say yes dear. Because I know she will ultimately be right.

So I vote take your own. You may need one at home in the future and you’ll have one.

Kevin

Hello Kevin

after a year how did the luggie work. My sister in law is thinking of buying the luggie to take on our 15day infinity cruise. she shops qvc and saw it. does it travel well do you have to check it or can it be taken as carry on. did it work in port as well as on the ship. any insite would help as we are not sure if we should just rent one. she will need one more soon after her health problems. she is only 49 but has had 3 kidney transplants two hips replaced and just developed afib. she needs the help and I will be lugging it most because even at only 52 pounds she could never lift it and I am the one that had back surgeory. please respond I hope you can help.

If you're starting to have the need for a mobility scooter, I strongly recommend you just buy it. You'll certainly find uses for it in other parts of your life, such as trips to the mall or other events.

Also, driving those things takes a little getting used to, so some land-based practice might come in handy.

Just a recommendation from one who's been there.

Before buying a scooter I had the fortunate luck to be referred to a physical therapist for advice on what type of scooter would be right for me. I am quite tall for a woman (6 ft. 2 in.) and also have difficulty standing from low seats. If I had purchased before the evaluation I would definitely gone wrong as I was looking at an electric wheelchair. My best advice is that beyond height there is also weight and type of disability to consider before purchase. No one device is good for everyone. I had been to a brick and mortar store selling mobility devices, before I saw the therapist, and they only wanted to sell me something not necessarily what was right for me. The therapist was so helpful and really did a complete evaluation.

Before buying a scooter I had the fortunate luck to be referred to a physical therapist for advice on what type of scooter would be right for me. I am quite tall for a woman (6 ft. 2 in.) and also have difficulty standing from low seats. If I had purchased before the evaluation I would definitely gone wrong as I was looking at an electric wheelchair. My best advice is that beyond height there is also weight and type of disability to consider before purchase. No one device is good for everyone. I had been to a brick and mortar store selling mobility devices, before I saw the therapist, and they only wanted to sell me something not necessarily what was right for me. The therapist was so helpful and really did a complete evaluation.

Total agree !

Before buying or renting any type of mobility equipment it's recommended that the individual speak with their medical professionals including a physical and or occupation therapist to determine what best suits the needs of the individual. Purchasing the wrong mobility equipment can actually cause more harm than good .

For the first time, I will also be taking my ECV on a cruise this April. I would definitely purchase one. I have had one for over 3 years now, and it has more than paid for itself. I purchased it for the Disney theme parks and also use it for malls. My husband insisted I take my ECV on our upcoming cruise, because, on our last 3 cruises, in some ports, I could not get off the ship because of hip pain.

Definitely invest in one. I purchased mine from spinlife.com. However, ask for a catalog, because when they send it to you, they usually offer a 10% discount. Then go back on spinlife.com to order your scooter. I have a 3-wheel Go Go Pride Traveler (?), I believe.

NOTE TO THE MODS: If I am not allowed to recommend a website, please just delete the second paragraph. Thanks. :D

she is inclined to buy this folding scooter and i just don't know how we will travel on the plane with it do you drive it to the plane and then they load it below or do you have to check the thing if so she can't use it in the airport which is one of her week times walking in the airport.:eek:

From my own experience of 27 cruises in 5 years: :o

The first cruise, I was a novice, and only had a ships collapsible wheelchair and standard mini cabin, so no big problem! :confused: After that, I did some research, and found companies that rented out scooters, which the cruise lines didn't, and many small town TA's don't know about. :eek:

I checked out a few, talked to sales agent and found out some things to look for, like width of doors, accessible cabins at the same price as standard cabins as ones in the same category. One of the main considerations, is the turning radius, which is crucial on a ship, where the hallways are narrow , and the corners are sharp, so although a 3 wheeler tips easy, it is a far better one for the sharp turns on a ship.

I have a 4 wheeler, in the back of my van, which I use on land, I've been renting 3 wheelers for ship use.

Now I've bought TravelScoots, first the early model, with no reverse and belt drive, which worked well, then came the newer model with direct drive, no belt to break, and reverse, I'll be taking this one on the first cruise, 20 Jan. 2014 out of LA (San Pedro) on the Sapphire Princess.

Some modifications I've already carried out is , enlarging the sea, by adding 2.5 " to the back, as I was already hanging over the rear edge, and also built a 2 battery carrier so I can charge the batteries without removing them from the unit, as shown in photo.

DSCF1014-1.jpg%7Ec200

Cato :)

Completed Cruises !

Pre-cruise Days - The Big Red Boat, 1993 ??

1st cruise - Coral Princess, 19 November 2008, 10 day Panama Canal, FLL to ACA

2nd cruise - Coral Princess, 15 May 2009, 3 day Repositioning, Los Angeles to Vancouver.

3rd cruise - Sapphire Princess, 25 November 2009? 7 day Mexican Riviera.

4th cruise - Golden Princes, 12 June 2010, 7 day Alaska. (Golden Anniversary Cruise)

5th Cruise - Island Princess, 04 October 2010, Vancouver - Los Angeles, Repositioning

6th cruise - Sapphire Princess, 05 January 2011, 10 day Mexican Riviera. LA to LA.

7th cruise - Golden Princess, 11 May 2011, 3 day, LA to Vancouver, Repositioning

8th cruise - Sapphire Princess, 14 May 2011, 1 day, Vancouver to Seattle, Repositioning

9th cruise - Coral Princess 19 May 2011 2 day, San Francisco to Vancouver, Repositioning

10th & 11th cruises - Coral Princess 02 July to 16 July 2011, round trip Vancouver - Whittier Alaska, B2B

12th & 13th cruises - Sapphire Princess, x2, Cabins, 18 Sep. 2011, 1 day, Seattle to Vancouver, Repositioning

14th & 15th cruises - Golden Princess, x2, Cabins, 24 Sep. 2011, 1 day, Seattle to Vancouver, Repositioning.

16th cruise - Oasis of the Seas, 26 Nov. 2011, 7 day, Western Caribbean, Ft. Lauderdale, Ret.

17th & 18th cruises - Crown Princess B2B, 03 - 10 Dec & 10 - 17 Dec 2011, 14 Days, South & western Caribbean

19th cruise - Grand Princess, 31 Mar. - 07 April 2012, 7 Days, Eastern Caribbean, FLL - FLL

20th cruise - Island Princess, 06-16 June 2012, 10 day cruisetour Vancouver - Wittier

21th cruise - Emerald Princess, 16 day, 10 - 26 Sep. 2012, TA, Copenhagen - New York

22nd cruise - Carnival Ecstasy 10 - 14 January, 2013, 4 Day Bahamas, Port Canaveral Ret.

23rd cruise - Sapphire Princess 30 March - 06 April, 2013, 7 Day Coastal LA - LA

24th cruise - Coral Princess, 19 May - 22 May, 2013, 3 Day Repositioning Cruise, LA - Vancouver

25th cruise - Royal Princess 16 June - 05 July, 2013, 19 Day Inaugural cruise, Southampton - Venice.

26th cruise - Emerald Princess, 06 - 16 October, 2013, 10 Day Canada - New England, Quebexc city to New York

27th cruise - Royal Princess, 24 November - 01 December, 2013, 7 Day,Eastern Caribbean, Fort Lauderdale Ret.

Future & Hopeful Cruises !

( Already booked )

28th cruise - Sapphire Princess, 20 - 24 Jan, 2014, 4 Days, California Coastal

29th cruise - Caribbean Princess, 29 Mar. - 05 Apr. 2014, 7 Day, Western Caribbean, Houston Ret.

30th cruise - Royal Princess 19 - 29 Dec, 2014, 10 Day, Christmas, Fort Lauderdale Ret.

she is inclined to buy this folding scooter and i just don't know how we will travel on the plane with it do you drive it to the plane and then they load it below or do you have to check the thing if so she can't use it in the airport which is one of her week times walking in the airport.:eek:

The scooter can be gate checked. Meaning it can be driven down the jet way at which time she will leave it there for the ground crew to stow away and when the plane lands at the final destination the scooter will than be returned to the jet-way. Just remember that you have to check with the Gate Agent and have the scooter properly tagged.

I too am travelling for the first time with a scooter. I figured out whith the travelling I have planned, it will pay for itself in 2 years.

I have a Tzora Travel Scooter and it also folds up. I bought mine in November and have been practicing with it.

Darlene

I purchased a Luggie, and after one day, I returned it. It was the most uncomfortable, unstable feeling scooter I've ever experienced. The seat was very uncomfortable, and the footbed is not flat, like most scooters, but curves upward. For anyone with foot or hip problems (like I have), sitting like that for long stretches can become painful.

I purchased a Luggie, and after one day, I returned it. It was the most uncomfortable, unstable feeling scooter I've ever experienced. The seat was very uncomfortable, and the footbed is not flat, like most scooters, but curves upward. For anyone with foot or hip problems (like I have), sitting like that for long stretches can become painful.

I had the opportunity to actually drive/ride a Luggie before purchasing. Did not purchase for the same reason you stated in addition to the fact that the seat does not swivel making it harder to get on off the scooter.

I rented a Pride Go-Go Elite before I bought mine, it was good that I got to take a 1 week test ride before spending the 1k on it.

I rented a Pride Go-Go Elite before I bought mine, it was good that I got to take a 1 week test ride before spending the 1k on it.

I also rented (2 week cruise last year) before I purchased. I have the Pride Go-Go Elite Traveler (probably the same as yours) - it had the smallest width to it of regular scooters. Best purchase I've made in years. Locally I can now go to the malls and stores. I can go to the "big box" stores and not worry if they will have any scooters available or if others are using them. I will take it on my cruise in a few weeks. Because I must carry my portable oxygen in the scooter basket, those little portable scoots didn't make sense for me.

One hint if you are not in a suite or accessible cabin. Take the scooter arms off and leave them home. You will be surprised how much door width space those arms take up. I leave mine off all the time. Nothing (like hanging price tags) can get caught in the arms now when shopping.

Edited by Linda&Vern

Thanks for all your input.

My sister in law is going to rent one for this trip and see how it works out. She is also going to buy a rolling walker for help so she can sit down if she gets tired. The input on the luggie was helpful. she has ankle issues and it may very well be a problem. Also at home she may need one that is more off road capable since we go camping and I could put it in the back of the truck.

thanks Ray ;)

I also rented (2 week cruise last year) before I purchased. I have the Pride Go-Go Elite Traveler (probably the same as yours) - it had the smallest width to it of regular scooters. Best purchase I've made in years. Locally I can now go to the malls and stores. I can go to the "big box" stores and not worry if they will have any scooters available or if others are using them. I will take it on my cruise in a few weeks. Because I must carry my portable oxygen in the scooter basket, those little portable scoots didn't make sense for me.

One hint if you are not in a suite or accessible cabin. Take the scooter arms off and leave them home. You will be surprised how much door width space those arms take up. I leave mine off all the time. Nothing (like hanging price tags) can get caught in the arms now when shopping.

Same here, now I can go to the mall again, the zoo, conventions and festivals that I used to go to. We also use it when stores are busy.

I have an accessible room on our next cruise so we shouldn't have any storage issues with it.

Edited by sherilyn70

Will soon be sailing on the Star Princess and will be requiring a mobility scooter for the first time. I was wondering if you prefer to rent or bring your own mobility scooter. I have found a reasonably priced one on the web, which would basically pay for itself after renting one on 2 cruises.

Also, the one I'm considering purchasing (a 3-wheel) is 22" at it's widest point, basically between the two rear tires. We're not in an accessible cabin, so was concerned about door clearance. Could not locate anything on Princess' website, so called Princess and was told the standard door clearance for a mini-suite is 24", so it should fit through, right ? :confused:

Best rental quote I found was from "Special Needs at Sea" and the scooter will be waiting for me in my stateroom when I embark. Any thoughts or suggestions.

Thanks to all who reply.

Rent if you don't need a scooter at home. It could be a tight fit getting thru the doors. They frown on leaving the scooter outside but I DO see many in the halls. And they take up room even in a suite.

Rent if you don't need a scooter at home. It could be a tight fit getting thru the doors. They frown on leaving the scooter outside but I DO see many in the halls. And they take up room even in a suite.

You lost me there. In my mind it doesn't matter if you rent or own your scooter - the scooter still has to be stored in your cabin.

Before you bring your own scooter to the ship confirm with the line that the type of battery it uses is acceptable to them. Certain types of batteries are not allowed on the ship for safety reasons. Most cruise line web sites describe what is and what is not acceptable.

That is great information.

Thanks

Yoletta

Regarding the "Luggie Scooter," my husband has had one for 2 years. He is able to do some short distance walking but needs some assistance for longer distances such as airports and walking cities.

We taken the Luggie on many trips including a Celebrity cruise in 2012.

My husband drives it right up to the door of the plane, where you see strollers and wheelchairs being dropped off. From there he walks on to the plane and the scooter is taken by a worker down the conveyer and into the plane. When we deplane it's waiting right as we come out of the door.

It has been SO wonderful and given him his independence back.

The scooter does fold flat and is quite manageable. Be warned though it does weigh about 50 pounds and would not be easy to lift alone if you are short on strength. People are more than helpful if they see you need assistance.

It has never been a problem in a taxi or accessable bus. Lots of strong men always available.

Worth it's weight in gold.