Is It Just my Cruising Group's Opinion?

doitallWMB

Unbelievable. How well can we get off topic. Everyone please understand that Carnival Corporation is in business to make money and the "bean counters" along with what would have been "Arisons " at the top of the house weigh risk versus profit. During the past weeks when the Triumph was having issues, many deputies of the business made decisions that allowed the ship to cruise unprepared for the rigors of the sea. Now, the United States legal system will decide the merits of their decisions. I would never have allowed a USN ship, however insignificant to have sortied with the known issues of this ship. Just my opinion. USN retired.

It seems that Carnival has the largest fleet, but their disasters were major events....Triumph, Costa Concordia, Splendor to name a few. I remember a few years back when a Carnival ship left Ft. Lauderdale or Miami with a bunch of portside stern cabins ablaze. The made quite a picture and I believe there was one fatality.

It was pointed out that if you have a fleet of 100 cars you will have more problems than a fleet of 25 cars. The only problem with this the fleet of 100 cars are high mileage while the 25 car fleet is low mileage and with better design. The frequency of Carnival problems is becoming troublesome. Their recommended rating are in the 70's while competitors are in the 80's.

Not only does it hurt that Carnival has the largest number of ships. But add to that the fact that one of there compators Disney, owns there a media network. Think back to the Concorida, ABC may sure that they always refered to it as a Carnival ship. Then did a 20/20 peice about mis-behavor on board cruiseships. Where although acts on every cruise line other then Disney was shown, the only one named was Carnival. And of course we all know, noone ever drinks adult beaverages and/or missbehaves on a Disney cruise.

DH is a 34 year castmember and you are right. Funny thing, Disney suffers the exact sane changes, staff cutbacks, fewer working full time, cheaper cuts of beef in signature restaurants.

My opinion, so far Disney has been very lucky.

But I'm not sure the public hears about every time Carnival, or I suppose any ship on any cruiseline breaks down. It bothers me that Carnival is sneaky about it though. I just sailed on Jan 21 on the Destiny. THe cruise ahead of us had propulsion problems so I contacted Carnival and John Heald and was assured the problem would be fixed prior to my cruise. I explained we were flying in from Canada and the flights were expensive because it's January. I had NO interest in taking the cruise if we wouldn't make our itinerary. I told them we specifically booked for Grand Turk and Half Moon Cay. Again I was assured by Carnival it was all good. We flew in the day before and as soon as we arrived in Miami, Carnival sent an email saying the itinerary had changed. Yet only 12 hours before they were assuring me it was all fixed. I was NOT offered my flights to be refunded. We were offered a refund on the cruise or $50 pp onboard credit if we took the cruise. That is BS.

That sailing was the second leg of our B2B !! On the first leg they replaced Cozumel with Nassau...on the last night we received a phone call telling us that the issue had not been fixed and we would be going to Key West & Nassau & Freeport (we just did that .ugggg) We had also picked this cruise for Grand Turk etc.We could get off the ship with a full refund or stay and get the $50pp obc. Getting off the ship really wasn't an option for us so we stayed on. We got $50 obc on the first leg of 4 days so i would think it shoud of been more for the 5 day....

Carnival is very secretive and it is a problem. I only hope that this problem is made public and the Bahamian authorities turn this over to the US Coast Guard. I understand that the crew acted admirably, but these people need to understand if they are going to transport US passengers from US waters, they should abide by US safety regulations. The Bahamas flag ships because of no regs and convenience. This needs to cease with the repeal of the Jones act the exemption of the draconian US labor laws and the implementation of American safety standards if they transport Americans. It is something our do nothing government could do quickly, but that is a pipe dream.

Archived