FLL Flight....will we make it?

mcgratru

Maybe, but all would have to go right. If I were you I would hire a private limo service to take you back to FLL. They will be better able to tell you if its possible. I would not rely on a shuttle service taht would have tp fill up before leaving for the airport.

Keith

We have made it with a flight at 11:15 am. As long as there are no delays getting off the ship (customs, etc). We do self assist/debark; usually walk off the ship with our bags by 8:15, get a shuttle van and go. We have used SAS Transportation several times and they have been great for us.

You have to weigh your options and decide what works for you and causes you less stress.

For an 11:40 flight you need to be at FLL by 10:10 (and ealrier is better with the TSA security lines I saw recently! :(), which means in a cab/limo/shuttle with wheels rolling by 9:30 at the latest.

If you carry your own bags off you should make it easily; taxi will cost about $85+ :eek: for the cab. Shuttle service could take a little longer to load up but is generally available for $15 per person from SAS, QLS and Go Airport Shuttle. :cool:

Good luck! :)

Last month we made a 11:15 flight, no problem. We were delayed a bit car fire on bridge, so we were delayed through customs, 7 ships in port, and it was the same day as the national championship game. We used SAS. We even had time for a sit down breakfast at the airport.

Thanks all! We don't have a choice about the flight because there is only one that will get us all the way home..it was two hours later when we originally booked it...(well at least to Maine and then we drive 5 hours)....we are self debarking...husband will get rental car at Hertz...he has priority privileges and we will be on our way....$110 for rental but, as there are seven of us....cheaper than other options.

I will let you know how it goes:)

We have a 11:40 am departure .Hopefully the FTTF gets us off the ship early enough. By the way ,how much is a taxi from the port to the FLL airport?

Spank,

They are saying from POM (Port of Miami) it is between 60 to 80 dollars. I think you are on the Freedom with us, so that should not be more than 20 dollars or so from Port Everglades to FLL. My wife and I also have a 11:45 flight home in May, we also purchased the FTTF for just that reason....

Teetime213

Good catch as I was thinking Taxi cost from the freedoom /port everglade to FLL . That said WE are glad we did FTTF as I just got an airline update today and now our Flight leaves at 11:20 AM instead of 11:45 AM.

I hope that still gives us plenty of time....Thanks Spanky

• 2 months later...
I should have said...we are debarking in miami

I would NEVER recommend it, but we made a 9:30am Delta flight out of FLL debarking in MIA. Everything lined up absolutely perfectly. First ones off the ship (with self assist Platinum debarkation), first ones through customs (no line), our friend waiting for us on the curve outside the terminal as we exited, absolutely no traffic, no luggage to check, no line at the airport security checkpoint, and 2 open seats on an earlier flight. :D

I met someone on last week's Breeze sailing who had a 9:40AM flight from FLL-I thought he was crazy! I had a 10AM flight from MIA and was worried about making it. Turns out he was off the ship by 7AM and made his flight fine from FLL. I personally would never book a flight that early from either airport, but I think you will have no problem making your flight - just be in the first groups getting off the ship and carry your own luggage. BTW, I was sitting in the MIA terminal by 7:45 and met someone in our shuttle who had a 9AM flight from MIA!!

We just got off Victory in Miami last week. Had a 12:10 flight out of FLL. Had FTTF were off ship on SAS Shuttle and at FLL just after 8:30! By the time we were to our gate we still had nearly 3 hours to wait for our flight. I had been worried too. Don't know if we got lucky and things just all went smoothly but I would definitely do it again if the prices for the flights were right! Wouldn't risk much earlier than a noon or maybe 11:30 flight though.

ETA: our itinerary said we would dock in Miami at 9 am but they were already docked by 6:30 and letting people off shortly after 7:30 or so maybe even earlier for self assist.

We were on a cruise that returned to LA at 7am and had to wait 1-hour before the U.S. customs would start processing people at 8am. Apparently with the federal gov't cutbacks in 2013 the Customs staff got reduced in half (there were only 3 customs officer vs. 6 normally) and they were working to rule. Thus I suggest you find out when Customs opens when you return to your home port and be one of the first ones in line with your luggage in hand to minimize any delays.

Archived