What is NOT essential to pack

Scouter Wife

Other than selecting our clothes for each cruise, we always pack the same items for travel, be it a cruise or a land trip, one night or 2 weeks +. Over the years we have honed our carry on to what is essential to us, that list will be different for everyone. We have duplicates of what we use at home, it makes planning and packing a breeze.

I can't imagine being happy with mystery toiletries provided by any hotel or cruise ship, but have found the over-th-door shoe holder to be a waste of good packing space. However, our toiletry kits are small and hang in the bathroom off the towel rod. We've never had a situation where the shower shelves weren't plenty of space for our shampoo/cond/body wash, but we do use refillable travel sizes, not full sized bottles.

We have never packed or had the need for duct tape. We do pack a small mending kit, but it's the size of a matchbook...never used it yet but it's so small so it's not a space hog. We've never packed post it notes, a highlighter pen nor drinking glasses or bottles of any kind, never needed them. Never have packed a hamper, we hang up our used clothing and move them to the back of the closet, so much easier to repack rather than a wad of clothing in a hamper or plastic bag.

We have a small battery powered alarm clock, again, it's tiny and doesn't take much space. We don't pack a nightlight that needs to be plugged in, but we do have a tap light we leave turned on at night. It's far easier on the eyes in the middle of the night if you have to get up, no bright bathroom light. We have a multi-plug electrical socket, use it once in a while, but rarely need to charge more than 2 things at a time.

A small first aid kit is an essential, but we don't take a whole medicine cabinet, just a small representation of typical OTC meds. We have had a few trips over the years where it takes a couple hours to locate a certain remedy, bummer to take precious vacation time for that. The kit is 6 X 4 X 2, so small it hardly takes any space at all.

What may be essential to me is a waste of space to another, and vice versa. So, no one is wrong...but I read some of the packing lists and wonder if #1 they are packing like it's a camping trip #2 they are going to be gone for months or #3 they are afraid of leaving the comfort of home at home. We've learned that cruise ships and hotels, plus other countries in the world have stuff you may need if there is an unexpected need. One of our favorite souvenirs ever was a tube of toothpaste from Italy :)

What I would consider un-neccessary for a week or 2 week cruise, could become very neccessary for an extend 50 trip. Some things are just nice to have for longer journeys.

We always take duct tape...just a few meters that are folded up. never used it, but always have it..maybe that is why we've never used it?

We also take a sewing kit, OTC meds (although one year we found a great one in Aruba!), sewing kit and a 1st aid kit. Flashlights are always with us (have one in my purse...have been caunght in to many power outages in large box stores!). Never have taken an over-door organizer, but on my first cruise we did have a folding shelf thingy for the closet (but that was on the QE2 with a notorius lack of storage!) but haven't taken it since. Alarm clock always goes as we don't travel with a cellphone.

I think that bring everything but the kitchen sick is more about the worry of not finding something suitable (like latex-free band-aids) than being afraid of leaving the comfort of home. There are places in the world where what is considered normal and easily accessible at home has not been heard of, or easily available.

It is just great that everybody has a choice! If I choose to go carry-on only, or back a steamer trunk...it is my choice :) (providing I follow all of the rules)

I think that bring everything but the kitchen sick is more about the worry of not finding something suitable (like latex-free band-aids) than being afraid of leaving the comfort of home. There are places in the world where what is considered normal and easily accessible at home has not been heard of, or easily available.

It's also about not wanting to pay ridiculous prices for some items. You may need them ... sometime.

Compare prices in the ship's shop to prices you would pay at home. :eek:

I once forgot an eyebrow/liner pencil. I paid $38.00 in the gift shop for Estee Lauder products that I did not want/need, but the only way to get the pencil was to buy the set.

Won't happen again. ;)

Extra soft drinks. Every time I have brought them on board, thinking I would be saving a buck, they ended up just being in the way in the stateroom, and never really cold enough to enjoy. If I recall, the last time I lugged on a 24-pack of Mt. Dew, because it was the "best deal", I ended up drinking about 3 cans and donating the rest to our dining wait staff. They were thrilled, of course.

We are going soda card this time. It will surely cost incredibly more $, but my enjoyment of the splurge will rise to match.

Last cruise I brought too many nice outfits and too much jewelry to match them. Some people like to wear a different outfit each night; I'm happy to wear the same thing more than once, so long as it stays clean. I also brought some laundry soap and did my own laundry, which cut back a LOT on the amount of clothing I brought.

I've never needed a power strip or organizer or duct tape. I do, however, bring a small flashlight. I also bring an insulated mug for iced tea since the glasses provided are too small. I don't stick the mug under the dispenser though.

Since I am a big coffee drinker I bring a pack of Dixie Coffee Cups with lids-I am an early riser so I fill up a cup- take it out by the pool and relax.:D The cups provided on the ship are too small for me. But I also don't want to run back to the cabin when I am finished. This way I have my large cup and then just toss out when finished. They only cost a few dollars, dont take up much room-and we drive to port so packing isn't a problem.

I was brazen enough to post on one of the ultimate packing list threads that I didn't take 90% of what was listed. I got chided and was told it wasn't believed for a second.

There are certain givens that are always taken anywhere...clothes, meds, toiletries and travels docs. I was talking about all those extraneous things that have been listed here like, hampers, highlighters, etc.

The only extra things I can think of that I've taken is a flashlight and a power strip a few times.

Believe it or not, I once saw a post where someone was considering taking their own little fridge.

Believe it or not, I once saw a post where someone was considering taking their own little fridge.

I wish I'd kept a list of all the things I've read on here through the years that people were either going to take or were considering taking with them, including (but definitely not limited to):

• smokeless candles
  • Christmas stockings & other holiday decor
  • wading pool
  • Xbox/Playstation system
  • memory foam mattress topper (especially popular on Princess due to the hard beds)
  • coffee machines
  • full-sized fans

and many more!

My One Must Have.....2-3 $$ store collapsible boxes (like tall kleenex boxes)..set them on the desk and great for organization....makeup-brushes-hair spray-sunglasses-cameras...things don't get misplaced and they are the size of a file folder in your luggage...I also put mine in the front zipper of my large bag...Won't leave home without them...it also is helpful when packing to go home !!!

I was brazen enough to post on one of the ultimate packing list threads that I didn't take 90% of what was listed. I got chided and was told it wasn't believed for a second.

There are certain givens that are always taken anywhere...clothes, meds, toiletries and travels docs. I was talking about all those extraneous things that have been listed here like, hampers, highlighters, etc.

The only extra things I can think of that I've taken is a flashlight and a power strip a few times.

Those threads crack me up. I've just never seen the overpacking for a vacation (read: not moving, not bringing stuff to family overseas) that I see with cruisers. And I travel allllllll the time.

I'm just waiting for someone to say "I don't like the milk on board so I make sure to bring my own cow. It's a must. Just tip an extra $5 so they'll bring it to your room early."

Archived